ive been playing guitar for about 2 1/2 years and i am thinkin about buyin a new guitar, my top choices are a Ibanez S5470 or a Gibson Studio Les Paul
i play music like metallica, guns n roses, pantera, and megadeth and i don't now which to buy so any opinions you have would be awesome
I'd have to say the Ibanez, it'll cover more of the bands you want to play. What amp are you using?
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Anything but Ibanez.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
Anything but Ibanez.

+1 i just can't stand them
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
my amp is a line 6 spider 3
lol don't kill me i didn't know much at the time i bought it
Quote by cerveza
+1 i just can't stand them

Me neither.
They just have some kind of lack of true tone. They all sound so synthetic. So impersonal. So shredage. So YUK. Lack of tone, lack of ballz, lack of caracter.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by metallica126
my amp is a line 6 spider 3
lol don't kill me i didn't know much at the time i bought it

Well, then i suggest you first get a new amp and then a new guitar
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
if you want to upgrade the tone go with new amp

if you really want another guitar the LP is more versatile, better sounding, and better overall
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by LP_CL
Me neither.
They just have some kind of lack of true tone. They all sound so synthetic. So impersonal. So shredage. So YUK. Lack of tone, lack of ballz, lack of caracter.

I recently met a guy who works in a local studio (who offered me a job and isn't even hiring at the time BTW) asked what kind of gear I use. I told him. He was amazed that I didn't own an Ibanez. He said that like 70% of guys who come to record with him use them, and he can't stand them either.

on a side note, he recently started with a new band who insist on using MG's. The guitar players are both amazing players but their tone just sucks. (they also use Ibanez)

just thought of this, as they're such a craze and so many people seem to own one, let's change the name from Ibanez to iBanez

Quote by litus
if you want to upgrade the tone go with new amp

if you really want another guitar the LP is more versatile, better sounding, and better overall

absolutely right..
Gibson LP Studio
Epiphone SG Vibrato
Santana Acoustic
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
Fender Mini Twin
Jim Donlup Cry Baby

92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this.
Quote by cerveza
just thought of this, as they're such a craze and so many people seem to own one, let's change the name from Ibanez to iBanez

I dont get it
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
I dont get it

following Apple "iPod" trend

@LP_CL and cerveza: Have you ever really tried playing on a good ibanez or even on more than one? Maybe that would be a good idea to do before setting up extremely biased opinions about Ibanez. saying that you don't like their guitars is one thing but saying all ibanez's lack tone is another. But while you're at it: how does a guitar sound imperonal? And what is true tone? please think about that before writing another useless post.

@ TS: Do you need the Tremolo on the Ibanez? if not then out of those two I would say that the Gibson fits you most. Maybe try them both out and maybe some hardtail ibanez guitars.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses."

Quote by Yngwi3

Bigger/louder/more watts =/= Better quality.
wow, lotta replies really fast
i think im gonna end up trying them out (though from what i hear i'm leaning toward LP)
also maybe i'll save up for a better amp
btw thanks for the help
Last edited by metallica126 at May 4, 2008,
Quote by Dr.Evil Knödel
@LP_CL and cerveza: Have you ever really tried playing on a good ibanez or even on more than one? Maybe that would be a good idea to do before setting up extremely biased opinions about Ibanez. saying that you don't like their guitars is one thing but saying all ibanez's lack tone is another. But while you're at it: how does a guitar sound imperonal? And what is true tone? please think about that before writing another useless post.

@ TS: Do you need the Tremolo on the Ibanez? if not then out of those two I would say that the Gibson fits you most. Maybe try them both out and maybe some hardtail ibanez guitars.

Yes, I have.
And I have honestly never liked any Ibanez guitar below $1000 or so, which is all I ever see anyone around here playing.
they do have some really good high end ones with great sound and feel, but I've never seen one played outside of a music store (aside from the pros)
I would love to have a Joe Satriani-esque Ibanez some day, and I likely will (I want a trem).

Quote by metallica126
wow, lotta replies really fast
i think im gonna end up trying them out (though from what i hear i'm leaning toward LP)
also maybe i'll save up for a better amp
btw thanks for the help

ya sorry man now we're basically just arguing here, hope you got some help out of it.
I got my Studio when i was like 14 or so i think, and I loved it.
It can be really kinda touch-and-go with these, however; the quality can differ quite a bit so try like 3 or more of these when you go in there and compare them.

Last edited by cerveza at May 4, 2008,
@cerveza: Ok but why do you go around saying all ibanez's suck?
I was actually more aiming at LP_CL because he started that crap about impersonal tone and all.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses."

Quote by Yngwi3

@ Evel Knödel:
Yes, also i have played alot of ibis. I played low end to high end RG's, i even had an RG1570 Prestige for 2 years, and it just sucked ass. It was like i was holding some kinda bad 500$ guitar.
Then ive not even started about the SA series and the JS series. Ive played them all. Never liked one.
High end JEMS are pretty good, but not 2000$ good. Rather 1200$ good. And they are sooooo fugly. Im sorry if im bashing your favo brand, but personally, i wont recommand an Ibanez to nobody. And i think thats my right to do.

With impersonal i mean this:
An LP will sound dark and heavy, it will roar like an LP should.
An SG has alot of bite and sounds very aggressive.
A strat sounds smooth and sparkling
A tele sounds twangy and clear.
An ibanez sounds .........
well........
like.......

erm......

i dunno...
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at May 4, 2008,
Ok then i have to apologise for that part but you still owe me the definition of "impersonal tone" and "true tone".

Quote by Yngwi3

I editted my post
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
My suggestion is to get a Schecter i've been playing one for only about 4-5 months and i'm already hooked i play a Schecter Revenger FR and that's it (except for my BC Rich Mockingbird bronze and other cheapy strat copies from when i was like 11) What i ddi was i took out the Pick ups and added some EMGs (i'm not certain what types). For amps i recommand Peaveys they have amazing tone atm i am using my Peavey Valve King 212 and it's got such a sound through the EMGs...
LP_CL: No, You're not bashing my favorite band and to be honest i don't like some ibanez guitars either. I just thought that you were another of those kids that like gibson for the name and hate ibanez for the looks but don't know anything about it: i'm sorry for that and you seem to know quite a bit about it.

However, I my opinion Ibanez guitars have many of the tonal characteristics you've desrcribed above. I think most RG's have quite a bit of bite and that "agressive" sound, just perfect for metal and shred. But i feel i get a great tone out of my JetKing and jazz musicians seem quite pleased with their artcore series aswell.

Quote by Yngwi3

what's your amp and budget?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dr.Evil Knödel
LP_CL: No, You're not bashing my favorite band and to be honest i don't like some ibanez guitars either. I just thought that you were another of those kids that like gibson for the name and hate ibanez for the looks but don't know anything about it: i'm sorry for that and you seem to know quite a bit about it.

However, I my opinion Ibanez guitars have many of the tonal characteristics you've desrcribed above. I think most RG's have quite a bit of bite and that "agressive" sound, just perfect for metal and shred. But i feel i get a great tone out of my JetKing and jazz musicians seem quite pleased with their artcore series aswell.

Hehe, no problem man. And tbh: yes i do find that there is no guitar more beautiful as a Les Paul, but im not a Gibson freak AT ALL. My Jackson for example is 10 times better than my Paul. And im not saying that my LP is a bad one.
Either way, Youre right about RG's and their tone. They are suited for metal as they have enough bite and they are good for shredding because of the fast and thin neck. And maybe its because of these last people that i find that they sound bad. Cuz' (no offence ment to any shredders) i find that most shredders' tone sucks bigtime. But that doesnt explain why a high end RG (like my 1570 prestige was) sounds like any other mid end RG.
ANYWAYZZZZ
people of UG: if YOU are happy with Ibanez, DONT let me spoil your happiness. Cause everybody's taste is different.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl