i've been searching for a while, and still have quite a while before i buy but i'm interested in knowing now, what do you guys think of the jcm 900 4100 model 100 watt head
i need at least decent cleans, really i need good cleans, 2 footswitchable channels, quite a bit of gain, (metallica, megadeth, slayer thrash gain) and a ton of headroom
does that cover it?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
It's a really versatile amp, so I wouldn't be surprised if you could get some really heavy tones out of it. The cleans will be great, too.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
with a jcm you should be ok for everything you need. for the gain channel i'd use the amps inbuilt distortion and then use the tubescreamer to tighten up the bottom end by keeping the gain low on the unit itself but as high as you need on the amp
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
yes also i don't just play thrash i also play tons of classic rock tones like acdc zeppelin more bluesy tones like gilmours from floyd and hendrix
will it do what the 800 does decently well?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
jcm 900's can do metal fine even without an OD pedal, there is tons of headroom and u can get an awesome clasic rock sound by cranking the clean channel and using ur guitars volume knob to clean it up when u need it.
My gear
Guitars
1.Jackson RR5
2.Epiphone LP Custom (gibson burstbucker in bridge)
3.Washburn Dime 332 (Bill Lawrence L-500XL)
4.Fender Standard Strat

Amps
1989 Randall RG-100-ES, Marshall Jcm 900
Cabinet
1999 Marshall 4x12 1960A
i do need two channels but i also want a really good tube crunchy sound like the 800 does
will the 900 do that
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
you can get a quite a good bluesy crunch on both channels. plus i cant mind if the SL-X has reverb but the reverb on mine is great, just to throw that in there
yeah the reverb is a plus dang i want this amp badly now
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
If you're gonna get a JCM 900, I'd recommend an SL-X. It's the only 900 that uses only tubes for the preamp gain. All the other ones use diodes for their preamp gain, so they're gonna sound tinnier and thinner. Just my 2 cents, though.
Quote by Vermintide
In Soviet Russia, bar searches YOU!!!

Quote by ac/dc_freak91
If you're gonna get a JCM 900, I'd recommend an SL-X. It's the only 900 that uses only tubes for the preamp gain. All the other ones use diodes for their preamp gain, so they're gonna sound tinnier and thinner. Just my 2 cents, though.

by that logic, you'd never use an overdrive pedal either, because that's all the diodes in the 900 do.
The JCM 900 is really good. It should do exactly what you want it to.
If you can afford it on top of what you're buying, get a GE-7 or something (EQ pedal) and run it through the effects loop.
psykopoo:
moron, spelt paedofile wrong