Right ok, ive i started playing guitar at christmas 2007 now my birthday is the end of this month and i want a new amp. Roughly i will hav about £110 leftover birthday money (So thats between $200-220 in america) i play all sorts of music except metal. I want a decent 15-30watt amp which has good cleans and good gain and must have reverb. Also im a bit of a tonal guy so i want a amp with good tone im not bothered if it has multiFX or not. I might get a OD/Distortion Pedal if i have any spare money left over. So any suggestions? Thanks anyhow.
By the currency used, I'm guessing you're from England.

You seem to like the Chili's and Nirvana, both bands used british amps, and like their mids. Cobain himself had his mids dimed.

I also play this stuff from time to time, and I own a VC30, a british amp with a great clean AND drive channel, with reverb, which nails Frusciante's and Cobain's tone pretty well. A VC15 would be more suited towards a bedroom player, but the VC30's warmer, and by pulling out two powertubes, it'll have the same volume as a VC15. You might want to get either a DS-2 or a Big Muff for their distortion. Then again, if you're one that's against distortion, get an OD like a Tubescreamer or Bad Monkey, and a nice fuzz.

So yeah, you're gonna need more than £110.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
well the most i will get round my birthday (this is just a guess) is mayb £150 and really i want another SS amp i dont see the need to get a tube amp at what age im at (13 and 14 at the end of this month) i just want something decent which last me so i dont really need an laney LC15 or a LC30. So the only ideas of an amp ive got atm is a Vox AD15VT or a Kustom Arrow 16DFX (both just at 15 watts) the Vox obviously having a Valve and the Kustom has a Celestion speaker. So im not looking into a LC15 or 30.
i would go with the vox ad15vt, i have the 30 watt version

great little amp for practice, it's served me well, never had any problems
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
First off, you shoulda said what kind of amp you wanted, and whether or not you would be gigging.

I'm 14 too, and I have a tube amp.

If you bothered reading, you'd notice I said VC, not LC.

I don't see why you'd bother getting an SS or modelling amp when there's an Epiphone Valve Junior for around £100.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
First off, you shoulda said what kind of amp you wanted, and whether or not you would be gigging.

I don't see why you'd bother getting an SS or modelling amp when there's an Epiphone Valve Junior for around £100.

Do what he says. Tube FTW.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
How are those epiphone valve juniors? are they all tube? should i open the volume up for good tone cos i play at home and i cant open a lot volume. and also i only has one volume knob..low volume cleans and high volume a bit more rock tone i guess.?
Quote by rhcp_freak

sorry for the mistake of saying LC instead of VC, but as the title says im a beginner so i wouldnt be gigging. And the valve junior only has a volume knob and i want a amp with standard EQ settings.

And i just want a simple amp its only my second amp so its pointless for me 2 get a Tube amp.
dude just get some cheaper all tube amp
you'll regret it if you don't
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by RHCP_Nirvana_FF
sorry for the mistake of saying LC instead of VC, but as the title says im a beginner so i wouldnt be gigging. And the valve junior only has a volume knob and i want a amp with standard EQ settings.

And i just want a simple amp its only my second amp so its pointless for me 2 get a Tube amp.

Simple? The Valve Junior's probably the simplest amp ever.

Tube amps aren't really hard to look after. It's just that every couple of years, you have to change the tubes.

Just don't go dropping it down the stairs or anything.

The Valve Junior's an awesome beginners amp, I'd advise ANY beginner to get it.

If you want more of an EQ, buy a Danelectro Fish n' Chips for around £30.

You need not a distortion/OD pedal, seeing as it's only a 5 watter.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
yea and just since its your 2nd amp does not make it pointless to get a tube i have one with just the tube preamp and still love it more then an SS i have ever played so buy a tube now and u can look back and think how good of a choice u made in years to come
Gear:
Jackson JS30 with emg 81/85 (bridge/neck)
Epiphone SG Special
Esteban Acoustic (won in a bet lol)
Digitech DF-7 Distortion Factory
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Marshall AVT20
Quote by Metallicaxp
Remember to do your Daily Jerk, Never forget!
I wish I'd gone straight for a tube amp instead of a modeller of the same value for my second amp.
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
So a epip valve jr. is better than a roland cube 30x? I have sound problems. I can only open up to 2 as volume with my 10 watt amp. so how can i play with tube amp?. And btw what you think about 30 watt ibanez amp? cheap and good to go with pedals maybe?
save up another couple hundred and get a use peavey classic 30 ftw
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by blind.quardian
So a epip valve jr. is better than a roland cube 30x? I have sound problems. I can only open up to 2 as volume with my 10 watt amp. so how can i play with tube amp?. And btw what you think about 30 watt ibanez amp? cheap and good to go with pedals maybe?

You're after tone.

If you can only turn upto 2 on a 10 watt amp, you've probably get problems.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by blind.quardian
What do you mean? why should i get problems if i play at low volume? its a SS amp which i have

Come on, it's not exactly that loud.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
yea it changes i play at a building where the ceiling is not even 3 meters high so i cant turn volume a lot for the ppl that live downfloor or upfloor
Quote by blind.quardian
yea it changes i play at a building where the ceiling is not even 3 meters high so i cant turn volume a lot for the ppl that live downfloor or upfloor

Ah, makes sense I guess.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
A Valve Junior with a Danelectro Fish n' Chips.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Well ive been look on the internet over night and what would you say about this selection. Peavey Royal 8 (its a tube) and either an Ibanez DS7, TS7 TubeScreamer or An Ibanez FZ7. Good choices?
Neither of those pedals. If you wanna get a Tubescreamer, get a TS9, TS808, the Maxon equivalents, or get a TS7 and mod it to TS808 specs by changing two resistors.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
A Valve Junior with a Danelectro Fish n' Chips.

+1

It's what I will be getting. I have yet to try the VJ, but I have heard it's good from everyone on this site, soooo. Don't bother getting an SS; this 5w tube should be fine. I wish I had bought a small tube amp after my Peavey Rage 158...but no, I was a noob and bought a Spider Line 6. I regret my decision.
right ive been looking about yet again, and ive found an epiphone valve junior head & cabinet for £120 and how about that with a digitech screamin' blues or a digitech bad monkey?
I'm +1ing all the people that recommended the Valve Junior, but the Valveking Royal 8 is an awesome amp too. I played one whilst shopping round, and ended up settling on a Valveking 112. Failing that, if you really want a SS amp, try the Orange Crush 15R or 30R. Great tone and designed in Britain (although I believe the Crush ones are made in China or somewhere). Just make sure you like the sound you get out of it, and don't be afraid to turn up the volume in the shop.....a LOT!
Quote by rhcp_freak
Neither of those pedals. If you wanna get a Tubescreamer, get a TS9, TS808, the Maxon equivalents, or get a TS7 and mod it to TS808 specs by changing two resistors.

Right ok, well if those pedals arent good how about these pedals? (Btw im still going with the Valveking royal 8)

Ibanez SM7 SmashBox, zoom G1x or a boss OS-2 are they good choices? but im still concivinced to get a valve junior with a cabinet and a digitech OD/Distortion Pedal. So your thoughts.
Quote by RHCP_Nirvana_FF
right ive been looking about yet again, and ive found an epiphone valve junior head & cabinet for £120 and how about that with a digitech screamin' blues or a digitech bad monkey?

The Valve Junior and the Bad Monkey would do you good, and it's cheaper than the pedals you mentioned, well a couple of them.

The Orange Crushes suck.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
The Valve Junior and the Bad Monkey would do you good, and it's cheaper than the pedals you mentioned, well a couple of them.

The Orange Crushes suck.

i will try to get the valve junior and cab if i have the money but whats your thoughts on what i said above. Peavey ValveKing Royal 8 & Ibanez SM7 SmashBox, zoom G1x or a boss OS-2?

Im tilting towards the peavey as of its cheaper than the valve junior & cabinet and it has a few more EQ knobs and i can get better pedals as well. And i could get the cheap valve junior cabinet at a later date aswell if i need some extra power.
Quote by RHCP_Nirvana_FF
i will try to get the valve junior and cab if i have the money but whats your thoughts on what i said above. Peavey ValveKing Royal 8 & Ibanez SM7 SmashBox, zoom G1x or a boss OS-2?

Im tilting towards the peavey as of its cheaper than the valve junior & cabinet and it has a few more EQ knobs and i can get better pedals as well. And i could get the cheap valve junior cabinet at a later date aswell if i need some extra power.

The VJ would probably do your stuff better than the Royal 8, but you should really try them out first, you might prefer the Royal 8 over it. I'm not a fan of those pedals. The Bad Monkey would beat them hands-down. It's like a budget Tubescreamer.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
I got one question can the peavey connect upto a cabinet? Just like a valve junior? also im most likely going for the Royal 8 now with the Boss OS-2, but still if i do have some money on the day i will go for the bad monkey & valve junior head & cabinet. Thanks for your help anyhow.
Last edited by RHCP_Nirvana_FF at May 6, 2008,
Quote by RHCP_Nirvana_FF
I got one question can the peavey connect upto a cabinet? Just like a valve junior? also im most likely going for the Royal 8 now with the Boss OS-2, but still if i do have some money on the day i will go for the bad monkey & valve junior head & cabinet. Thanks for your help anyhow.

Now im sodding the idea of getting the peavey as it cant connect to a cabinet (which i can do later on with a valve junior) so im gonna get a valve junior with pedal anyone have any more suggestions than a digitech bad monkey or a boss OS-2? I'll proberly buy a Danelectro Fish N Chips as a equalizer aswell.
For the love of God Bad Monkey!
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
For the love of God Bad Monkey!

jesus christ calm down. Right ok w/e i'll go for that then. Thanks anywayz.