My brother is looking for a new amp and I was hoping you guys might have some good suggestions. He has now a 20W Roland Cube and he's getting a new one just because this one's started to buzz after playing it at full volume too much.

He plays mostly rock/hard rock...maybe some alternative every now and then. And he doesn't really need one with a lot of built-in effects, because he's already got a mult-effetcs pedal. You guys know of any $100-115 amps that can get LOUD?
nope. you won't find a decent amp at all for $100
Gear:
-Fender American Deluxe Strat HSS
-Fender Twin Reverb '65 Reissue
-And all the fuzz a man needs
He's got to throw in a little more money to get a decent amp...
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Last edited by BlisteringDDj at May 4, 2008,
Sell him your peavey rage and get an Epi VJ for yourself.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
You won't get a good amp for that money. Roland Cubes are among the best amps in that price range, also look for a Vox Valvetronix, or (maybe) some Randalls/Peaveys. Although you'll pretty much have to look 2nd hand.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
100 bucks doenst buy much anymore. Certainly isnt going to buy much in way of quality and loud.
Quote by drmichael
OK, well what's the best amp that he CAN get at that price?
Epiphone Valve Junior Combo Amp will sometimes go for less than $100 at GC when they're having some sale. Get into their distribution list.

As a point of reference, the VJs went for ~$70 last Memorial Day Sale. It's coming up soon, too.

Also, the MF Stupid Deal of the Day hasn't featured the VJ. I suspect it'll come up soon.

Palomino v8, you might have to go use....
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
How are those epiphone valve juniors? are they all tube? should i open the volume up for good tone cos i play at home and i cant open a lot volume. and also i only has one volume knob..low volume cleans and high volume a bit more rock tone i guess.?
Quote by angeldef
Palomino v8, you might have to go use....

seems to be sold out just about everywhere. Again though...5W?! I mean, I know that the speaker size is the big one, but still...Do tube amps not need that much power? And also, keep in mind, he uses his effects pedals...never uses the amp's effects. So why the tube amp suggestions? Are they still better?
Last edited by drmichael at May 4, 2008,
Tubes are better than SS in the same price range. If he has effect pedals then tube are better handling those than ss, the 5 watt is as loud as his 20 w solid state (ss) or louder, but the most important thing is that the tube sound better x100 than the SS, in the same price range
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
just because he uses an effect pedal doesnt mean a tube amp wouldnt be good my amp just has a tube preamp and after playing it i would never buy an ss amp
Gear:
Jackson JS30 with emg 81/85 (bridge/neck)
Epiphone SG Special
Esteban Acoustic (won in a bet lol)
Digitech DF-7 Distortion Factory
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Marshall AVT20
Quote by Metallicaxp
Remember to do your Daily Jerk, Never forget!
Quote by JGolden
just because he uses an effect pedal doesnt mean a tube amp wouldnt be good my amp just has a tube preamp and after playing it i would never buy an ss amp

yeah,well, im still kinda a guitar noob. it just always seemed to me that people used tube amps because they made OD sound the best with metal and whatnot.
how can we play tube without opening the volume up? i can buy a epip valve jr. but i will need to open the volume up a lot to make it like overdrive so what you say about ibanez 30 watt amp? same price with epiphone valve jr. and maybe better for going with pedals?
You could always juts buy a 15 watt spider for practice. They arent that great, but unless you get a few pedals, the Valve Junior cannot do much other than blues.

I'm getting a Spider as soon as I sell my MG for a practicie amp. For everything else though, I'm buying a Mesa Half stack.
Yea it can be said as a practice amp. i know that ibanez is better than marshall so i may buy that. im just a home player and i play just for 4 months. i will buy a tube amp and a good guitar when i move to my own house and make it like a studio where the sound can go out to other apartments
Question: Why does it need to go loud?

If it's for home use, then a 5w tube should cover it easy.
when the tube amp is played loud doesnt it give better sound? anyway i want a ss amp i think cant bother with a only volume knob epiphone amp
Quote by Aleene

It needs to go loud because we also have a drum kit at home and he likes to run music through the amp and play drums...or we run music and my guitar through the amp while he's on drums.
Quote by drmichael
OK, well what's the best amp that he CAN get at that price?

Used Peavey Bandit.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Jammy Pige
I'm looking at getting another amp also, something that is really gig quality that I can jam on. I have a Spider III (2X10) 120 watt that I use to practice with and it is excellent and serves it's purpose quite well. If you do want a really nice Spider let me know. It's barely a year old and in mint condition and I even have the FBV express pedal/foot switch to go with it. I paid 400 for the amp and 100 for the FBV and I'll let both go for 320. I still got my other amp and I'd like to use the money toward upgrading to something a little more classic. Oh and by the way, I gave a valve jr to my son and it is a little weak, but it does make a great blues amp if you like to play clean blues. . . your right about that.

Thanks for the offer, but I want something small to carry to school, and plus a 15 watt spiders only 100 bucks.
i got a used microcube i might be selling for around that price if your up for it. hasn't been used very much and it gets super loud
Quote by Aleene

Yea, your best bet. and go used man.
Guitars:
2009 Fender 72 Deluxe Telecaster
Yamaha F-130 Acoustic
Amps:
Blackstar HT5
Effects:
MXR Micro Chorus
R3FX Dual Resistafier
well transtube amps are pretty good, the tube doesn't really give them any better tone but it does help with distortion...

if you could go used you might be able to get a little bit better of an amp for cheaper off ebay. But some people just prefer new stuff. when it comes to amps i have always saved for something new... but if I ever came across something new on their I just might... just to add to what everyone has been saving.

If you want an amp for 100 bucks new, your best bet is probably going to be another roland cube, a 15x.

or maybe a peavy rage, I have never played one but it doesn't look bad for the price.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Rage-258-Guitar-Amplifier-with-TransTube-Technology?sku=481336

or a vox pathfinder
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Pathfinder-15R-Guitar-Amp-with-Reverb?sku=481948
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
I need to get just a practice amp also. Nothing outstanding or anything, just something basic that can shred.
My two choices are, Sprider III 15W, or a Randall KH15 Kirk Hammet signiture one.
What do you guys think. Keeping in mind it's just an amp to hear myself with. I already have a monster tube amp.