I hate to start another amp thread but here it goes..

I'm looking to jam and maybe join a band in the next couple of months. I need an amp that will be heard over a drummer and a bassist, however my budget is a bit tight(300-500 dollar range). I play mostly punk and ska music. I was thinking about getting the Fender Frontman 212R 100 watt solid state combo, Vox Valvetronix 50 watt hybrid combo or a Peavey Vavleking 50 watt all tube combo. Also I play a 2007 MIM Fender Telecaster (stock) and I will probably end up using the same amp to gig as well because I'm kind of broke.
Thanks guys!

P.S. My current amp is a Vox DA15 it sounds pretty nice but I fear it will be too weak for a bassist and a drummer.
go for the valveking if its not much more than the frontman
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Valveking, no contest.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
+2 to the guys above.

Go for the Valveking.
I have one and it's definatly the best amp for that price (unless you're buying used)

It's a rather midrange kind of amp and it won't sound that good if you like scooped mids.
It works best for a bright classic rock tone or if you boost it with an overdrive pedal like me , you'll get a tone similar to Paul Gilberts. With some chorus infront of it you can easily get nice 80's metal tones.
If you like chugga-chugga don't bother but if you like oldschool crunchy tone , get it.
Hey thanks for replying guys. Couple more questions though I've heard tube watts are louder than solid state watts. so would a 50 watt tube amp compete with a full band? Also what is the maintenance for tube amps like? I've never had a tube amp. I like a lot of British punk but I also like modern stuff like Jawbreaker, Rancid, and Osker, the distortion on the VK sounds good on the youtube vids i've seen. However the band i'm trying out for is a ska band so the valveking's bright switch looks rather convincing. Also is the 1x12 a good idea or should i save up even more for the 2x12?
Yes it probably would. Even my cheap-ass Crate can keep up with my full band (maybe cause we're not loud enough =\)
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard (Cherry finish)
Ibanez JS1000 (Black Pearl finish)

Effects:
Zoom G2.1u

Amp:
Bugera 333XL Head (Coming Soon)
Avatar G212H Special (Coming Soon)
Crate FW15R
One more question if you guys are still out there. Can the VK keep clean at high volumes? or does it break up? Since I'll probably end up gigging with a ska band, the amp should stay clean at higher volumes. This might end up being the deciding factor here.
Thanks
50w tube should clear a band situation with cleans I'd imagine. I can a little bit of clean over drums and bass with my 15w tube.
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Quote by SkaJon
One more question if you guys are still out there. Can the VK keep clean at high volumes? or does it break up? Since I'll probably end up gigging with a ska band, the amp should stay clean at higher volumes. This might end up being the deciding factor here.
Thanks

Well it's natural for any tube amp to break up at high volumes and there's no doubt that the VK will break once cranked to the max.
If you don't want the amp to break up at high volumes then i don't realy see why you would bother getting a tube amp.
Quote by SkaJon
Thanks

The cleans are not that great on the Valveking. On mine they just sound so dull. I really don't suggest a Valveking if you want to play mostly clean.
Thanks for all the advice guys it's been quite helpful. I'm going to a local Guitar center this week in order to test out both amps. I was just curious at what volumes does the clean channel on the VK start to distort. I mean i would love to have like a Fender amp for cleans and a Marshall Plexi for overdrive but I don't have the dough so I'm trying to fit the best of both worlds here and it's proving difficult ya know?
Last edited by SkaJon at May 5, 2008,
This is what i always suggest for people in your situation Fender Super Champ XD its freaking awesome, gets very good cleans, and nice OD compared to other fenders and other amps as well, and it can be used in band situations, plus its very versatile. Its not a genuine tube amp because the preamp is SS/12A7X or something like thant altough the Power amp section is 100% tube, but Music Mans arent 100% guinuine tube either and to who ever has played one you know those amps are the ****.
Try it out when you go to GC you wont be disapointed, in my opinion the BEST and most economical amp 400 and under and still holds its own against 500 dollasr amps and up.
Last edited by the-kidR44 at May 5, 2008,
Quote by me_llamo_juan
I'd suggest the Crate Palomino, IMO it's cleans are far better than the VK's.

yah the palomino is a much greater amp over all in my OPINION, i like the cleans on them bettor, the VK's are good aswell but it sounds very i dont know jazzy kinda i dont know how to say, the OD channel is where the Crate just outdoes the VK really, much bettor and the same level of gain about, all you need is a OD or DS pedal, youd need the same thing with the VK aswell anyway.
But like i said take a serios look at the SUper Champ XD, wonderful amp that many overlook.
Last edited by the-kidR44 at May 5, 2008,
recent update my dad was talking to a neighbor of ours who is a guitar player and he convinced my dad that solid state is ****ty. So he recommended the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe which my dad agreed to buy so I'm going to guitar center on saturday to check that amp.
Try the Crate V33 or V50 as well as the VK. I liked the cleans on the Crate V series (replacing the Palomino series) much better than the VK and is probably better suited for what you play. They are a newer amp so a lot of UGer's haven't had the opportunity to play them.
Something else to look at, good luck.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by xfallchildx
Frontman and nice distortion pedal sounds good or the Valveking

i have both - don't get the Frontman.

if you are going to GC this weekend SkaJon then that is really the smart thing to do (except it is crazy there on the weekend - so go in the morning if you can and take your own guitar and pedal and line them up if they will let you.) If you ask someone there first that of what your intention is (playing multiple amps) they might help you with your goal.

HRD might be too much ($$ or clean-ness?) but i love the amp.

Oh - and did i tell you not to got there at night. it's a zoo.

;
My dad decided he would put up the 700 dollars for a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe so I think i'm going to to go for it. I love the Fender clean and I'll probably buy a distortion pedal to get higher gain like Marshall tones. He said he was willing to pay for it and I'll pay him back slowly so I think I'm going to get it.
Try an overdrive in the effects loop, they work much better with tube amps than distortion pedals. The HRD is a good amp, some dog it but some dog everything. Congrats!