Here is a thread for all the drop tuned low end metal heads,
who have no limits to their tuning, volume, power, and of course. GAIN.
i am specifically making this because i am in need of a new amp.
drop G has gotten me in to amp hell and i need to find something
that will be my savior and can controll my hellraiser from raising hell
on my amp. any suggestions?
so far my only options would be an 50W orange thunderhole in my pocket.
or doing a bass amp/guitar amp hybrid.
well now ultimate-guitar can have a thread for drop B and below.
so lets get chatting and hopefully i will pick up on a rigg that is right
for me along the way.
Quote by acoginthesystem
Drop G??? GOD DAMN JUST PLAY BASS!

You could at least try to help the guy.

The Orange sounds like a good idea since it can be used with bass too, at least the speaker should handle it.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by acoginthesystem
Drop G??? GOD DAMN JUST PLAY BASS!

I agree...I have a couple of songs that are written for lower than A tuning and I use a bass for those. So far no guitar has done a better job than the bass in keeping such tuning tight and with a good gain work, and I've even tried some of those new 8 strings that are coming out lately
Guitars:

Ibanez SZ320
Ibanez RG450
Ibanez SC620
Bc Rich Warlock 7 String
ESP LTD SC-607

FX:

Digitech Whammy 4
Line 6 PodXT Live

Amp:

Line 6 Flextone 2
bass amp might be a good idea if your going that low... or maybe a guitar amp with a bass cabinet, I think that might work.
Its always better to use a guitar amp i find, you dont need to worry about damage or anything as long as you dont abuse the bass frequency, taking the time to learn your amp EQ and experimenting with it, will get you the tone required.

I quite like my SS/tube rack setup for low stuff, on my 8 it still manages to sound somewhere between tube warmth and SS sterility, a sound which has taken me literally months to work out, but im now more than content with it. Dont expect to find the suitable sound straight away, you will always be altering it slightly so it sounds good in universal circumstances.
i was thinking that would work for i always blow speakers.
but now my low tuning has even blown my amp.
well im not sure what but when i was playing it started hissing
and turned my guitar and amp into an electrical assasin.
i could not touch either without getting shocked.
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
Its always better to use a guitar amp i find, you dont need to worry about damage or anything as long as you dont abuse the bass frequency, taking the time to learn your amp EQ and experimenting with it, will get you the tone required.

I quite like my SS/tube rack setup for low stuff, on my 8 it still manages to sound somewhere between tube warmth and SS sterility, a sound which has taken me literally months to work out, but im now more than content with it. Dont expect to find the suitable sound straight away, you will always be altering it slightly so it sounds good in universal circumstances.

acctually i have been wondering if rack would be a better choice for me, or a rack
modded amp. i was thinking a bass power amp, and a guitar pre amp. into an array
of bass and guitar speakers for propper speaker EQ. but what are you using for a
pre amp and power amp to handle lows?
For low tunings you dont need bass equipment, there are plenty of guitar cabs, power units etc designed for lower guitars, for example Vader have a 2x15 guitar cab which is meant to superbly capture the low end.

The basic outline of my rack is (minus processors, gates etc):
Rocktron chameleon SS preamp
Mesa 50/50 power section, i was using a peavey classic 50/50 and it still sounded awesome.
Framus 2x12 w/V-30's.

That with my 8 w/EMG 808's sounds killer, just needs a careful touch with the EQ, so as not to sound muddy at all.

You can use whatever amps you like, 5150's, VH4's, Uberschall's, Recto's, Mark's are all commonly used by bands in such tunings, i mean Meshuggah use Line 6 vetta's and pod pro's for their tone.
well im not sure why, but i have done amp damage now 5 times, to 3 amps.
and was just thinking guitar amps are not the way to go anymore. i do love
the orange thunderverbs, but don't know about the money. if i were to combine
bass and guitar for the right frequency range would i need a bass power amp
and guitar preamp or guitar power amp and bass preamp? or are there any more
amps like the orange that are designed to handle enourmous low end?
Well i have never seen anyone need to combine bass and guitar setups, your welcome to try it, but it may end up being a bit costly if it doesnt solve your problems. Either you completely rework your EQ from flat or you try your idea...and i've never heard of anyone blowing their amp from excessive bass frequencies, unless its a POS SS practise amp or something.
no but it is a POS SS halfstack.
thats definitely gonna go. i think I'm gonna check out the 1,000's of guitar and bass amps at the great house of guitars near me, and hopefully find something that works.
if not, i will look into ways to purchase an orange thunderverb.
btw people, keep posting. this is not just for me,
it is also a Q and A for all drop tuners.