So, i'm deeply contimplating getting a 12-stringed acoustic guitar. I already found one on musiciansfriend that's cheap and according to many reviews, a good starter 12-string. And I'm just a bit puzzled by the tuning...
I know that your B and high E are both the same note. But, for the four lowest strings, I don't understand... I was looking it up, and it said to tune the lowest four to have one string the same as a 6-string, but, then for the corresponding string, to have it an octave higher... Is this right? Because I was just thinking it would kind of break the neck and what not. Can someone explain please, and keep it simple, because I'm not a guitar genius.
Last edited by BGM>YOU at May 4, 2008,
The lowest 4 strings are in octaves. The neck will not break because a 12 string guitar is designed for the tension of 12 strings. Also, the strings on the upper octave are thinner the the lower octave for clarity.
Quote by zeppelinfreak51
The lowest 4 strings are in octaves. The neck will not break because a 12 string guitar is designed for the tension of 12 strings. Also, the strings on the upper octave are thinner the the lower octave for clarity.

Okay, So, they're supposed to be really high? I just really need to make sure because I don't want to mess it up.
And that leaves me with another question. Are the strings different? Like, do I need to get certain special strings for the octave strings on it? Or, what?
Quote by BGM>YOU
Okay, So, they're supposed to be really high? I just really need to make sure because I don't want to mess it up.
And that leaves me with another question. Are the strings different? Like, do I need to get certain special strings for the octave strings on it? Or, what?

Just buy a set of strings for a 12-string guitar and you're golden!
¯|(°_o)/¯
Quote by Zox
Just buy a set of strings for a 12-string guitar and you're golden!

I might have some trouble getting my hands on them, but, oh well. Thanks.
Quote by BGM>YOU
I might have some trouble getting my hands on them, but, oh well. Thanks.

Look for a site that sells strings online. Then, just look from a set produced by a brand you trust.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
The answers so far are a bit vague.
A 12 string guitar will have 6 of it's strings precisely the same gauge and tuning as a standard 6 string guitar will have ok. The other 6 strings are called the octave strings. These will be easy to tell from the others as they are the thinner of the two pair. Aside from the high E and the B strings, and sometimes the octave of the G, they are tuned up 1 full octave from standard tuning. The B and high E are tuned in unison, no octave difference. The neck of a 12 string acoustic has a much beefier truss rod installed to compensate for the increase in tension from 12 strings vs. 6.
What you will want to do is to have a nice tuner on hand when tuning up a 12'er. With those octave strings, it's easy for beginners to get the tuning out of whack and start snapping strings left and right. If in doubt, the easiest way is to tune up the 6 standard size ones to standard pitch, EADGBe. Then you can just fret each of those at the 12th fret(one octave up from standard tuning in open position) and tune the octave strings to those notes(except for the B and high E strings of course).
Last edited by LeftyDave at May 5, 2008,