I've been looking for a decent guitar amp for light gigging and home playing. So far two amps have caught my attention-the Vox Custom Classic AC15CC1, and the Peavey ValveKing 212.
I play rock from the 70's to the present. Lots of progressive and funk, but I dabble in some lighter styles.
Which of the two would suit me better? I'm looking to buy used, so my actual budget is in the 400-500$ range.
If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination.
What's the heaviest stuff you play?

Are you going to be using it just with yourself or will it need to be heard over a drummer and used for gigs?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I'll need to be heard over a drummer, bassist, and rhythm guitarist. Lets see...the heaviest would probably be RATM or Extreme.
Other artists I play are Muse, Soundgarden, The Sweet, The Who, Yes, Rush, Tool, Hendrix and Iron Maiden.
If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination.
Hmm, I'd probably go with a Classic 30 over the VK then. Maybe get an OD pedal to boost it a little if you need a bit more gain but I think it'd suit what you play better.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Classic 30 would be much better then the VK or those styles as said. The VK can get shoddy without a speaker/tube swap. Plus Classic = better built, better sounding. Plus the vox at 15 watts even tube might not be loud enough for a show maybe.
Guitar: Ibanez Rg 2ex2/ with Dizmarzio Super Distortion
Amp: Peavey Valveking 212 (replacing soon)
Pedals: Planet Waves Tuner, Boss DS-1, Digitech DF-7, MXR-108 EQ
really? the classic 30 seems much more geared towards classic rock. I'd love to be able to get some decent heavy tones out of my amp as well, will the C30 be able to do that?
Look into Traynor as well, My YCV50 has a ****load of gain. The YCS can get even heavier actually. The Classic 30/50s are really nice, and they can get heavy. Now keep in mind when I say heavy I don't mean teh br00talz but yeah, the amps I mentioned will give you some epic cleans as well it'll serve your funky needs well.

although if you would have to go used to get those amps.