Page 1 of 2
Anyone hera listen to vinyl? Ever since I got a record player, I can barley listen to my thin, treblely CDS. And don't get me started on MP3s. Compressed, crappy sound. I don't even own a pair of headphones, let alone an Ipod.

Please, only mature responses
I've got 400+ vinyl albums. I love them.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
I own the soundtrack to The Song Remains the Same on vinyl, and my bro has Slowhand.

My dad's got a ton, though - The Wall, Hotel California, 461 Ocean Boulevard, Goodbye Yellow-Brick Road...

And there's nothing wrong with CD's.
Last edited by Flying Couch at May 4, 2008,
i've got a bunch of Billy Joel vinyls and a few Boston

and i got Riot! by Paramore on vinyl, its pretty awesome
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Quote by slayer1516
Anyone hera listen to vinyl? Ever since I got a record player, I can barley listen to my thin, treblely CDS. And don't get me started on MP3s. Compressed, crappy sound. I don't even own a pair of headphones, let alone an Ipod.

Ah. Elitism at its best. Grow up.
I'm a communist. Really.
I own a few. Besides the sound, they're just a lot nicer to have than CDs.
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

Quote by Raziel2p

no, elitism at its best is Oasis fanboys
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
When I'm not on the computer I listen to vinyl as much as I can.

I've got this brilliant old record player from the 60's my granddad gave me, it's so awesome. I#ve only got about 40 vinyls but I love the sound.
Quote by Raziel2p

Elitism? Because I prefer analog over digital? Because I don't like the sound of CDs and MP3s? Open a godamn dictionary.
Quote by slayer1516
Elitism? Because I prefer analog over digital? Because I don't like the sound of CDs and MP3s? Open a godamn dictionary.

Read your own post, and tell me you don't think you sound condescending upon anyone listening to MP3s on their iPod with a pair of headphones.

On a side note, what's wrong with headphones? I own a pair of electrostatic ones, and they're better than most speakers in terms of sound quality.
I'm a communist. Really.
ah i love my vinyls
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
Quote by Raziel2p
Read your own post, and tell me you don't think you sound condescending upon anyone listening to MP3s on their iPod with a pair of headphones.

On a side note, what's wrong with headphones? I own a pair of electrostatic ones, and they're better than most speakers in terms of sound quality.

If someone wants to listen to an Ipod, I have no problem with that. Its there own choice, and i'm fine with that. I hat the sound, thats it. And this isn't what the thread was about anyways.
Quote by Raziel2p

Then you've got bad speakers.

Why have good when you can have better? I prefer digital because of convenience, but I would take vinyl far more seriously if it was a nice option for me. That may be better for me, but I know people will think analogue is better for them due to sound quality. Nothing wrong with that.
Last edited by Craigo at May 4, 2008,
Quote by Craigo

Why have good when you can have better? I prefer digital because of convenience, but I would take vinyl far more seriously if it was a nice option for me.
+1
My parents used to have loads of records, but we gave them to my guitar teacher. I think they would be cool to have, and there is a place near me that sells them. But how much do the players cost? I've heard people say that you should spend $1000+ on a turntable, which seems kind of unreasonable.
Saint Louis Blues
Quote by Craigo

Why have good when you can have better? I prefer digital because of convenience, but I would take vinyl far more seriously if it was a nice option for me.

I resent the bad speakers part, I'd rather assume you've got bad headphones.

I think vinyls are better, too. I just think it's plain rude to go around boasting about how much better they are - especially because you need a good record player, pickup, RIAA/phono stage and amplifier before you're able to get the sound you're after. And that's VERY expensive.
I'm a communist. Really.
I have a really old vinyl player, and a few sex pistols, bob dylan, the clash vinyls, and i think thats it xD I need to start searching pawn stores
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

Quote by Raziel2p
I resent the bad speakers part, and I'd rather assume you've got bad headphones.

I think vinyls are better, too. I just think it's plain rude to go around boasting about how much better they are - especially because you need a good record player, pickup, RIAA/phono stage and amplifier before you're able to get the sound you're after. And that's VERY expensive.

And? I've spent a lot of money into a good amp and CD player and good speakers, which are expensive, but it was worth it. I spend a lot of money on proper beer, which costs three times as much as the generics, but it's worth it. Back in the day, I spent a lot of money into this laptop, because it was worth it. I worked for very last penny for it so I think I got the right to hold pride in it. Also, the TS wasn't being boastful on what he owned, he was just telling his very, valid opinion.

Ohh, my headphones (normal line ones for MP3s) have an RRP of 60 quid (120 USD if you're yank), and I've heard some before which do sound even better. In every scenario, my speakers have always sounded better. My headphones for my amp (the input is a lot like a guitar jack) are amazing, but nothing beats having it out in the open.
Quote by Craigo
And? I've spent a lot of money into a good amp and CD player and good speakers, which are expensive, but it was worth it. I spend a lot of money on proper beer, which costs three times as much as the generics, but it's worth it. Back in the day, I spent a lot of money into this laptop, because it was worth it. I worked for very last penny for it so I think I got the right to hold pride in it. Also, the TS wasn't being boastful on what he owned, he was just telling his very, valid opinion.

Ohh, my headphones (normal line ones for MP3s) have an RRP of 60 quid (120 USD if you're yank), and I've heard some before which do sound even better. In every scenario, my speakers have always sounded better. My headphones for my amp (the input is a lot like a guitar jack) are amazing, but nothing beats having it out in the open.

Thank you. Lets stop all this fighting anyway. Arguing over the internet is stupid.
I wish I had more vinyls I liked. My parents have some old ones but the only one I own and enjoy is my Postal Service vinyl.

But god, vinyl is da bests
I like my vinyls, but I really need to find a good way to convert them to a cd or mp3, and have no clue how.

Suggestions?
How I wish, how I wish
That the world, that the world
Had just one
THROAT
And my fingers were around it

Literature thread
Quote by Von.
I like my vinyls, but I really need to find a good way to convert them to a cd or mp3, and have no clue how.

Suggestions?

Don't! That's how.
Quote by slayer1516
Difficult with the way you started the thread.

The only reason vinyl sounds better than CDs is because CDs are really badly mastered and compressed to hell. A well mixed and mastered CD will always sound better than a record. Same goes for FLAC or high quality mp3.
Quote by Raziel2p
What he said.
i my dads got loadsa vinyls i listen to. Its wierd on deep purple made in japan i know where every single little click and scratch is!
I think of it like this: mp3 = line 6 spider. CD = line 6 Flextone. Vinyl = Tube amp.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by smb
Difficult with the way you started the thread.

The only reason vinyl sounds better than CDs is because CDs are really badly mastered and compressed to hell. A well mixed and mastered CD will always sound better than a record. Same goes for FLAC or high quality mp3.What he said.

Well, if CDs are better only when properly mixed, and generally CDs are poorly mastered, then vinyl would, in fact, be a better alternative.
I have a few boxes full of vinyls. My dad was a big Hendrix fan back in the 70's and my mom loved Led so I got a lot of good stuff I have a record player and two huge speakers but I need a needle or I'd probably use it
Quote by blackenedktulu
CFH82, I love you. I didn't laugh, but my god, I love you.

Quote by Zero-Hartman
Holy shit, that was epic. A mighty roar escapeth'd my mouth.

Quote by WyvernOmega
I saw a penis.

last.fm
4000+ vinyl collection. Add in another 2500 45s. Technics SL-30 turntable from about 1973 or 4
CDs didn't exist when I first got into music. I like the sound of vinyl but it can be a royal pain in the ass. Prefer CDs to be honest. I can't play an album in my truck. I can't make a copy of an album inside of 2 minutes. Convenience I guess. I like mp3s. They don't wear out. It's all a question of choice. Cartridges for the turntable are getting harder to find. There is no longer much of a choice in the type of stylus available. And that has an enourmous effect on tone.
And if you guys think CDs and mp3s are bad go listen to a cassette or 8 track.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
My parents just gave me their turntable so I've been buying a bit of vinyl lately. Pelican - City of Echoes, Russian Circles - Upper Ninety, and Dark Side of the Moon. I have Russian Circles- Station, and reissue of Enter on order, and I'm planning to get The Wall.

Oh, and a really long time ago my dad was going to throw away all his old vinyl, but he ended up giving it to my cousin (who doesn't have a turntable, he just wanted to save the old things). I asked for them back, and he said he'll dig them up for me, but from what I hear, my old man had a few good records in his collection including Boston, and some Clapton
time machine. Inadvertently, I had created a
Yeah, i think a lot of it is sentimentality over practicality, I'd still prefer going out with my iPod rather than lugging an 8-track in a rucksack or whatever
Quote by stringmagician
Well, if CDs are better only when properly mixed, and generally CDs are poorly mastered, then vinyl would, in fact, be a better alternative.
The point is that vinyl isn't fundamentally a better way of storing music than CDs. It's just a nicer thing to have because of the larger artwork and the retro vibe, and also the fact way it demands your attention when you have to turn it over, the ritual of looking after it and your turntable and the way it's harder to skip tracks. There are good reasons to have vinyl, but sound quality isn't one of them.
Quote by ECwomantoneman
i think a lot of it is sentimentality over practicality
Thanks, captain obvious.
Quote by smb
The point is that vinyl isn't fundamentally a better way of storing music than CDs. It's just a nicer thing to have because of the larger artwork and the retro vibe, and also the fact way it demands your attention when you have to turn it over, the ritual of looking after it and your turntable and the way it's harder to skip tracks. There are good reasons to have vinyl, but sound quality isn't one of them.Thanks, captain obvious.

Thank you. If you enjoy hiss, pops, crackles and snaps it is.
Your dog may be able to differentiate between a well recorded CD and vinyl but none of you can.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by smb
Thanks, captain obvious.

No bother, my work here is done!

*flys off with stirring theme tune playing in the background*
I've got a few vinyls XD
they're nice.
and the singles are cheap, good way to get into some new bands
and i have an old iron maiden killers ep.
win.
Rickenbacker 620
ltd mh-1000
Fender jaguar

tu-2>>FZ-2>MXR Flanger>Ph-8>Line 6 FM-4>DD-6

Engl savage Head.
black start artisan 4x12
I've got a record player and maybe 30+ records, but to be honest, I can't hear one difference between my CLEAN copy of Physical Graffiti on vinyl and its twin on CD.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by ECwomantoneman
No bother, my work here is done!

*flys off with stirring theme tune playing in the background*

Dance with Me by ABBA is not a stirring theme song.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
Dance with Me by ABBA is not a stirring theme song.

It damn well is!

I can't say I know it...but ABBA is always some hardcore stirring theme tune stuff
Page 1 of 2