Hi,

I just bought the Squire Affinity Starter Pack which comes with a Frontman 15G amp. Its exactly like the package in this youtube video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FlKLCQOVFbw

Thing is, I cant seem to get the sound like he gets towards the end of the video, ive tried all sorts of combinations and I just cant get it. Please help
Make sure you're on the drive channel with gain up and you have the volume knob up on guitar while using bridge pickup.

If that doesn't work then I don't know lol.
turn the gain up to 8, and adjust the other things until you have it
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
you talking about the amps actual tone? or like the pinch harmonics he's doing near the end? pinch harmonics being the kind of skreetching notes he's playing.
Yeah im affter the skeetching tones, i love that sound!

Ill try your suggestion muse-ik and let you guys know how I get on
You would have to look into pinch harmonics, like Cobalt Blue has stated.
Does anyone know where I can find preset AMP configurations, so I dont ahve to fidle with the knobs for hours in order to get the right sound. I have the following knobs on the AMP:

GAIN, Normal Volume, Drive Volume, Treble, Middle and Bass
If you like metal tones, and are interested in doing pinch harmonics, etc, do this:

Turn your Treble all the way up, your bass at about 1/2-3/4 up, put your mids at 1/4, and turn your gain at 8-10.

Use your treble pickup.

Enjoy.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Quote by elrasho
Hi,

I just bought the Squire Affinity Starter Pack which comes with a Frontman 15G amp. Its exactly like the package in this youtube video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FlKLCQOVFbw

Thing is, I cant seem to get the sound like he gets towards the end of the video, ive tried all sorts of combinations and I just cant get it. Please help

Don't worry about it, it's nothing to do with the equipment and everything to do with the fact that you're a beginner and he's an experienced player. It's not that the amp can't make that sound, it's simply because you can't play that well yet. One thing you'll learn very quickly is that the guitar doesn't just "do" stuff, there's a lot of hard work you need to put in to make it sound the way you want it to.

Don't worry about your gear or settings too much for the time being, just concentrate on learning to play the thing...the Frontman is a pretty limited amp anyways, it's not going to be able to get close to 90% of the sounds you hear on recordings.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well ive been doing some research and found some software called Guitar Tracks Pro, it lets u record ur strumming and u can add effects to it and stuff... I know I know its cheating but at least I can see if the guitars playing up or its the AMP. Anyone tried it?
Can you tell me what you have the settings set to on the AMP and Guitar please?
Quote by elrasho
Well ive been doing some research and found some software called Guitar Tracks Pro, it lets u record ur strumming and u can add effects to it and stuff... I know I know its cheating but at least I can see if the guitars playing up or its the AMP. Anyone tried it?

did you not read anything i wrote? Nothing is "playing up", the way he sounds is down to how well he can play, not how the amp is set. Just experiment with the settings until you get a decent tone, it's not like the frontman has many controls to confuse matters, it's a pretty basic amp....gain/drive is the amount of distortion in the sound, bass alters the amount of low frequencies in the sound, middle does likewise for midrange, treble for high frequencies. Volume is how loud things get, and furthermore the different pickup selections on the uitar will affect the overall characteristics of the sound, but all you need to do is experiment. There's no avoiding the fact that guitar involves an awful lot of learning - you can't just be told something and magically understand it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I know where your coming from, but surely the amount of "humming" im getting is not normal, Ive gone through all the different combinations and its still there :-(
Quote by elrasho
I know where your coming from, but surely the amount of "humming" im getting is not normal, Ive gone through all the different combinations and its still there :-(

Since when was this about humming? This is the first time you've mentioned it.

Strat-type guitars have single coil pickups which are quite prone to humming, the guy even points that out the video. Using positions 2 and 4 will minimise the hum but there'll still be some. Cheap guitars tend to be far more subsceptible to interference too, so if you're sat near something that generates a magentic field like your PC monitor it'll hum like crazy.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Thought Id mentioned the humming before??...cool Ill take the kit somewhere esle, could it be that some strings are vibrating off something... like in the bridge?
A low price sguire, with a cheap cable into a cheap frontman practice amp is going to hum if you crank the gain. Just a fact of guitar life. It takes lots and lots and lots of practice to be able to play like many of the experienced players on utube. Its not guitar hero nobody becomes jimmy page sorry slash overnight. And cheating wont make it easier it will make it harder as you wont learn the proper underlying technique. Pinch harmonics take time and doing them a thousand times to get good at it. So stop worrying about what others are doing and just play guitar.
OK ive been messing around and this is what I find.

No matter what setting ive got the guitar or AMP at it still humms when I pluck the strings. For example if I pluck E, G and D together openly the note hummd for ages or until I stop all the strings from vibrating.... does that mean my AMP or Guitar is too sensitive?

Ive seen this on youtube which seems to helpp the matter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJnAbPrmJNA

Notice when he flicks the springs at the beginning they "hummm", thats exactly what mines doing.. I think
Open back cover, pluck those strings, and put your hand on the tension springs.

If the "hum" goes away then it's the springs... If it doesn't go away then it's either sustain from the amount of gain you have or there's a lot of interference around you (i.e. computer monitor) or you're too close to the amp (feedback).

Those are the only things I can think of.
Well it wasnt the springs.... it definantly the strings.... reason being when I strum an open string the string keep virating thus the amp picks this up, I think the amp is too sensistive or something in there is too sesitive.

Its really annoying when I strum an F5 and it hummms for ages... or am I supposed to press on the fret bord to stop the strings from vibrating?
Quote by elrasho
Well it wasnt the springs.... it definantly the strings.... reason being when I strum an open string the string keep virating thus the amp picks this up, I think the amp is too sensistive or something in there is too sesitive.

Its really annoying when I strum an F5 and it hummms for ages... or am I supposed to press on the fret bord to stop the strings from vibrating?

It's not too sensitive. For as long as those strings are vibrating, even ever so slightly, the amp will amplify all that and you'll hear it.

It's called SUSTAIN. The note will continue to sound as long as the strings are vibrating.

Nothing abnormal at all.
Quote by elrasho

Use your picking hand and rest it on the strings to dampen the strings and stop the chord from sounding.

Or

Slightly lift your fingers off the frets to dampen the strings
OK cool, thanks for all the advice, appreciate it. I'll play about with the settings on the AMP and see what gives the best results... I'm after sharp clean notes. Thing is, the pack didn't come with a guide that shows you which of the 5 way selectors correlate to which pickup
Quote by elrasho
OK cool, thanks for all the advice, appreciate it. I'll play about with the settings on the AMP and see what gives the best results... I'm after sharp clean notes. Thing is, the pack didn't come with a guide that shows you which of the 5 way selectors correlate to which pickup

When switch is in top position, the neck pickup is active. When in the next position down, neck and middle together are active. In the middle position, the middle pickup is active. In the next position, the middle and bridge pickups are active. In the final, bottom position, the bridge pickup is active.
That makes sense, thanks. So to reduce hum I should use the middle pickup on its own OR the top two
You'll get the least hum in positions 2 and 4
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc