I need help on reading rhythms.
Now, I know that 4 quarter notes are in a bar on a 4/4 time signature... and etc...
I know everything, and I understand the technical stuff.

But I still can't get myself to learn to read rhythms, I can only do straight half, quarters, eighths, sixteenths.. and so on, but I get boned in the ass by the dotteds and triplets, and when they're all scattered.
Any tips?
Quote by ( o )===#
but I get boned in the ass by the dotteds and triplets, and when they're all scattered.
Any tips?

I'd say it's mostly because it's not all that easy -- a bit like talking and chewing gum at
the same time because you have to count it out and then play the note right on time
and having to think about it messes up the whole process.

The only way to do it really is to use a metronome at a slow enough tempo until
you get the count and where the notes land comfortably and then speed it up.

I think this is one of those things that a lot of people just gloss over and guess,
but it's well worth the time, painstaking as it may seem at first.
+1 Rhythm is extremely important to playing guitar. Just knowing some of the basics like triplets and syncopation adds so much flavor to just playing an ***load of notes fast (NOT trying to get into an argument over that just making a point). Also, when doing chord work in a band its good to know, for example, that you have to hold that rest an extra half a beat so you don't come in at the wrong time and sound like a jack***. Just like anything else with this instrument it takes practice. Start slow, count it out, use a metronome; all will help.
Thanks for the feedback, you've given me good advice on when I am given music to study and play, but how bout sight reading?