Hey everyone...

I have been trying to build up my speed on scales.

All this while I was practicing my left hand and now I am able to play each note clearly even at higher speeds -- only when I play all the notes on the same string. The moment I move on to the next string, I sometimes miss a note.

I figured the problem is with my right hand. I am holding the note down with my left hand clearly, but I just (sometimes) dont pick the string with my right hand ( I just sort of play it in the air) and so I miss the note.

I figured I need to work on my right hand. I figured some of the things I might need to work at are:

1) Holding the plectrum: I hold it a little different than shown on some of the videos I have seen on youtube. Maybe I also need to perhaps loosen the grip a little... I may be holding on to the pick too tightly. I will work on it.

2) Alternate picking: I naturally alternate pick when I am playing the notes on the same string. But the moment I move on to the next string, its no longer true.

My question is: Why Alternate picking ? If I play a note - down stroke - on the 6 string (E) and if the next note I want to play is on the 5th-string (A) , since my right hand movement is already downwards, shouldnt I be playing a down stroke on A too ?

Should I really really practice playing an upstroke on A ? Is that what I am missing ?
Is that why I am missing a note when I try to play my scales too fast ?

I have seen videos and read tutorials that teach you how to practice alternate picking. But nobody explains why is it better than non-alternate picking.

Thanks !!
Quote by AnchorSteam
Hey everyone...

I have been trying to build up my speed on scales.

All this while I was practicing my left hand and now I am able to play each note clearly even at higher speeds -- only when I play all the notes on the same string. The moment I move on to the next string, I sometimes miss a note.

I figured the problem is with my right hand. I am holding the note down with my left hand clearly, but I just (sometimes) dont pick the string with my right hand ( I just sort of play it in the air) and so I miss the note.

I figured I need to work on my right hand. I figured some of the things I might need to work at are:

1) Holding the plectrum: I hold it a little different than shown on some of the videos I have seen on youtube. Maybe I also need to perhaps loosen the grip a little... I may be holding on to the pick too tightly. I will work on it.

2) Alternate picking: I naturally alternate pick when I am playing the notes on the same string. But the moment I move on to the next string, its no longer true.

My question is: Why Alternate picking ? If I play a note - down stroke - on the 6 string (E) and if the next note I want to play is on the 5th-string (A) , since my right hand movement is already downwards, shouldnt I be playing a down stroke on A too ?

Should I really really practice playing an upstroke on A ? Is that what I am missing ?
Is that why I am missing a note when I try to play my scales too fast ?

I have seen videos and read tutorials that teach you how to practice alternate picking. But nobody explains why is it better than non-alternate picking.

Thanks !!

You don't have to alternative pick everything! Use economy picking, it's exactly what you say, as in sweeping, you just move your right hand up/down. But alternative picking is good sometimes though. Maybe you should try holding your pick a little more un-parallel (Sorry I'm bad in english) to the string, so it's not facing exactly the same direction as the string. Just tips.
Quote by CanCan
Congratulations, you've just discovered Economy Picking.

+1

alternate picking just means alternating down and up strokes - however when transitioning between strings you can speed things up by using the same pickstroke for both strings, which is economy picking.

On another note - don't worry yourself too much about building speed up on scales...nobody wants to hear you play scales, concentrate on practicing things that are going to have some practical use when it comes to playing. Horizontal scale pattern runs with position shifts are good.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I mostly alternate pick, I occasionally do a small sweep. I dunno it's basically just based on what feels good for you. a lot of people will tell you that alternate picking is better because your always keeping a constant up-down-up-down motion and you can potentially pick faster. string skipping can get a bit tripping with alternate though, takes some practice.
Quote by Deagle-Eyes
Isn't it more like sweeping? The red question I mean...

Not really, I don't think many people sweep pick on 2 strings
Quote by CanCan
Congratulations, you've just discovered Economy Picking.

+1
Been away, am back
The reason you've been told to use alternate picking when practicing scales is to help build coordination between your hands. But in the actual world of playing, you use whatever comes natural.
For me, it usually depends on how many notes I am playing. For even notes ( like, 8th and 16 th) I usually stick to alt picking. For triplets, I usually use economy, it just makes sense to me.

Technique is for you to use however you need to make the music you want.
Quote by WillPlayForFood
mow lawns mutha ****a.. shiiieeett back in the old days we used to go out in the fields and pick cotton.. turns out My boss was colorblind.

EDIT:not trying to be racist.
...and don't sig me.
^

Technically, thats could still be considered economy picking... think about it, if you're playing two strings alternate you'll still be moving down a string on downstrokes and up on upstrokes. Triplets I do the same though.
Last edited by Hamburglekins at May 5, 2008,