I have found that my taste in music is becoming "metal-er" and I'm now listening to death/melo-death/black metal instead of grunge and 70's stuff. The problem is that my amp just can't handle teh brootalz. I've heard that a new speaker and tubes can do wonders for the valveking and I was wondering what you guys would recommend.

I'm pretty confused on what speaker to get but right now I'm leaning towards an Eminence Black Powder, Texas Heat, or Swamp Thang.

For tubes I'm set on Tungsol 12AX7s in the preamp but I have no clue what to get in the power section.

Keep in mind I only need some nice modern metal distortion. Cleans don't really matter. Thanks in advance for your help.

My leet rig
Schecter Hellraiser
Agile AL-3100
Ibanez RG120
Alvarez RF8
Yamaha G-55 Classical
Peavey Valveking
Vox AD15VT
Pod XT Live
Ibanez Weeping Demon
swamp thang, jj's in the power tubes
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Celestion V30's are amazing speakers, check em out.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

I have the 112 combo. Can a V30 do death metal? I think the "vintage" part throws me off...

My leet rig
Schecter Hellraiser
Agile AL-3100
Ibanez RG120
Alvarez RF8
Yamaha G-55 Classical
Peavey Valveking
Vox AD15VT
Pod XT Live
Ibanez Weeping Demon
From a site that has info on their speakers (about the V30):

This has been the Rock and Roll industry standard for years...sounds great clean or crunchy on all types of music especially high gain metal. Good bass, Pronounced Mids , upper mids and highs. 8 ohm or 16 ohm 60 Watts
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard (Cherry finish)
Ibanez JS1000 (Black Pearl finish)

Effects:
Zoom G2.1u

Amp:
Bugera 333XL Head (Coming Soon)
Avatar G212H Special (Coming Soon)
Crate FW15R
Sounds good. But is it worth the extra 40 or 50 bucks? If the sound difference between the V30 and one of the Eminence speakers is barely noticeable, I'll probably just go with an Eminence.

Also, the swamp thang said it's for blues, jazz, and rock, but I've heard it can do metal too. Is this true? Or when people say metal do they mean like 80s hair metal? Cause that's not the tone I'm looking for.

My leet rig
Schecter Hellraiser
Agile AL-3100
Ibanez RG120
Alvarez RF8
Yamaha G-55 Classical
Peavey Valveking
Vox AD15VT
Pod XT Live
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Last edited by JeRM357 at May 4, 2008,
For black metal man or death metal for that matter, a valveking wont be heavy or brutal enough. I know i own the 212 version and the most it can get is mastadon heavy. But for powe tubes jjs and preamps tung-sols. And maybe celestion G-12t75s. Or any of the eminence speakers will work fine. But if you really are into death/black metal and are gonna be goin hard on it, you might wanna look into a new amp. But if this is just a phase then nevermind.
I had a vintage 30 put into my VK. See my sig for the link to the thread, I recorded samples.
Quote by yocomobebes
For black metal man or death metal for that matter, a valveking wont be heavy or brutal enough. I know i own the 212 version and the most it can get is mastadon heavy. But for powe tubes jjs and preamps tung-sols. And maybe celestion G-12t75s. Or any of the eminence speakers will work fine. But if you really are into death/black metal and are gonna be goin hard on it, you might wanna look into a new amp. But if this is just a phase then nevermind.

I doubt it's a phase, and I know that if I throw an OD in front of it I can get some nice metal tones out of my amp. I think I am going with Eminence, but I'm not sure which speaker yet. How's the Man O War? It says its for metal so I was thinking about that. If the Swamp Thang can do metal, though, I'll probably just get it. And thanks for the help with power tubes. Looks like I'm getting some JJs.

My leet rig
Schecter Hellraiser
Agile AL-3100
Ibanez RG120
Alvarez RF8
Yamaha G-55 Classical
Peavey Valveking
Vox AD15VT
Pod XT Live
Ibanez Weeping Demon
the swamp thang IMO sounds great for metal, I'm very interested in how it will work with the valveking, post clips when you get it

In my opinion, the eminence line is much better than celestion for price/quality ratio.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808