For my A Raisin In the Sun unit test, we had to write an essay about one theme in the play, using three literary elements. I had no clue what to write, as I didn't like the play very much. My friends and I have this running joke that we're all sexist, and we make really chauvinistic remarks during English. We decided to combine the two into one and we all wrote essays about how A Raisin In the Sun proves that men are better than women. Here is my essay (keep in mind that these aren't my views at all. We're just doing this to be funny.):

Quote by nosushi4you
The play A Raisin In the Sun, by Lorraine Hansberry has many different themes. The most prevalent of these, however, is the simple theme: Men are better than women.

One can assume that this play is set in the years following the end of WWII. This is a time where women have a chance to rise up in the world. The flappers of the 30's have settled down and given birth to the anti-assimilationists. Enter Beneatha, a self-proclaimed anti-assimilationist. She spends her days complaining about “the assimilationists” and mooching off of her Mother, brother, and sister-in-law. Beneatha has this idea in her head that it is her duty to pave a way for women of the future. She goes to college, yet doesn’t have a job. She complains and complains, but doesn’t lift a finger to make anything better. She leads people like George Murchison on, but complains about him behind his back. If Beneatha wants to go to Africa so badly, she should go. No one will miss her, and it’s one less mouth to feed.

The play also has lots of conflict. Much of it is between Walter and his wife, Ruth. Ruth is not like Beneatha; she has a job. What makes her flawed is that she doesn’t respect Walter, and then wonders why their relationship is on the rocks. For example, Ruth asks Walter how he wants his eggs, to which he replies, “Any way but scrambled”. Of course, Ruth goes ahead and makes him scrambled eggs. Is Ruth really so stupid that she can’t make some fried eggs? I don’t think so. That means that she just chose to upset Walter like that. Actually, Ruth rarely listens to Walter. When he tries to explain his hopes and dreams to her, she replies, “Eat your eggs”. Getting angry (and rightly so), Walter yells, “Damn these eggs! Damn all the eggs there ever was!” If by eggs you mean: “Women in the Younger household”, then, yes Walter, damn these eggs. In fact, the only time Ruth ever seems happy is when Walter takes her out somewhere. Once they get back home, though, the nagging resumes.

The play has a small amount of irony to it, as well. After buying a house in a predominantly white neighborhood, Mama, Walter’s mother, is offered a large sum of money for her newly bought house, by the white community there. They want to keep their neighbor hood white-only. After losing all of his family’s money, Walter is prepared to take the money, so they can improve their quality of life and not go into debt. Now, Walter was prepared to give up his dignity for his family, but are they grateful? No. They belittle him and yell at him until he refuses the money, sending his family into debt. They claim that Walter has become a man. Wrong. Walter was already a man. What they mean is that he’s turned into a man they can control. There’s a huge difference.

In case you haven’t noticed, Walter is the only person in the Younger family willing to make sacrifices for the good of the family. Also, in case you haven’t noticed, he’s the only man in the Younger family. Coincidence? I think not. Men are better than women.

I rest my case.

So Pit, what do you think?
Quote by Kensai
Forget about her, she seems complicated. Who wants a girl who answers in riddles? I'm not the fucking sfinx.

Quote by Rambo-Conny
Woah, woah. Back the hell up.

Polo shirt?

Sunglasses?

Of course he got all the girls, he's Rick Astley.
Last edited by nosushi4you at May 4, 2008,
get some jokes in about kitchens, other than that.
I would give you a AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

minus
Quote by soulflyV
Quote by Xplozive
Once I was pissing in the kitchen sink when I'd had a few and my friend walked in and goes wtf.

Once I was pissing in my friend when a few had I'd and my sink wtf goes in and walked.
Quote by Flying Couch
Are you seriously going to turn that in?

Also, tear down this wall, etc., etc.

Yeah, I'm gonna turn it in. I think it's well written, and even if I took it seriously, I wouldn't get a good grade.
Quote by Kensai
Forget about her, she seems complicated. Who wants a girl who answers in riddles? I'm not the fucking sfinx.

Quote by Rambo-Conny

Polo shirt?

Sunglasses?

I love you. That book bored me to tears, and I had to kiss up to my black literature teacher and write an essay about how it showed how strong black people were, because I needed to get a decent grade on it to pass the class.
"Some of these lyrics are pure black metal nonsense."
Quote by Gottlos
I love you. That book bored me to tears, and I had to kiss up to my black literature teacher and write an essay about how it showed how strong black people were, because I needed to get a decent grade on it to pass the class.

I really didn't like it. Nothing really happened. I mean, I get what the author was trying to say, but it just wasn't exciting at all.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Rambo-Conny

Polo shirt?

Sunglasses?

i would consider doing something like this because i'm a senior.

do you have a lot of padding between you and a lower letter grade? or do you care about grades?
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
racist jokes?
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
i would consider doing something like this because i'm a senior.

do you have a lot of padding between you and a lower letter grade? or do you care about grades?

I have a ninety-something in that class, and I aced the rest of the test. Worst case scenario: I get a ~75% on the test. I'd say it's worth the lulz.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Rambo-Conny

Polo shirt?

Sunglasses?

Hah, that was pretty good actually. I love writing joke essays when you know you can't write a serious one. My friend wrote an essay (with some help from myself) on a poem (I can't remember the name) about a little girl climbing a tree. He turned it into an essay about how the passage was about sex. It was hilarious. He got a good grade on it too just for making the teacher laugh.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.
reminds me of my essay...
I wrote a satire about censorship
it was fun, as one might imagine.
the teacher loved it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by barb3rman
Hah, that was pretty good actually. I love writing joke essays when you know you can't write a serious one. My friend wrote an essay (with some help from myself) on a poem (I can't remember the name) about a little girl climbing a tree. He turned it into an essay about how the passage was about sex. It was hilarious. He got a good grade on it too just for making the teacher laugh.

That's what I'm hoping for, though I'll understand if I get a 0 on it.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Rambo-Conny

Polo shirt?

Sunglasses?

Quote by nosushi4you
That's what I'm hoping for, though I'll understand if I get a 0 on it.

teachers tend to be suckers for humor.
if she cusses or makes dirty jokes in class, it's probably safe.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
teachers tend to be suckers for humor.
if she cusses or makes dirty jokes in class, it's probably safe.

She's a he, actually. He's got a pretty good sense of humor, so I'm looking forward to seeing how he reacts.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Rambo-Conny

Polo shirt?

Sunglasses?

It is great until the last paragraph. Dropping all charades and hitting your reader in the face with that comment at the end makes it awesome.
Quote by what??
It is great until the last paragraph. Dropping all charades and hitting your reader in the face with that comment at the end makes it awesome. :P

What's wrong with the last paragraph?

Quote by Kensai

Quote by Rambo-Conny

Polo shirt?

Sunglasses?

Quote by nosushi4you
She's a he, actually. He's got a pretty good sense of humor, so I'm looking forward to seeing how he reacts.

no I'm sure it's a woman.
good luck.
if he gives you a zero, blame humanity

what are your sources?

EDIT: he likes the last paragraph.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by nosushi4you
What's wrong with the last paragraph?

nothing, its what takes it from a great essay to an awesome one. awesome > great
Quote by the humanity
no I'm sure it's a woman.
good luck.
if he gives you a zero, blame humanity

what are your sources?

EDIT: he likes the last paragraph.

Dick Masterson.

Quote by what??
nothing, its what takes it from a great essay to an awesome one. awesome > great

Well, thank you kindly.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Rambo-Conny

Polo shirt?

Sunglasses?

Hey, were I come from you get good grades as long as you can explain your views decently. You did, so I don't see a problem, teachers like a good joke just like anybody else. Your essay is, in short, t3h awsumz.
I did something like this in my English class. We had to write an essay on Vietnam, so I turned it into an essay about how I didn't like hippies. The teacher gave me an A because I said it was my opinion on the war. So just tell your teacher you thought that was the message the book was trying to send....
Quote by justnmcknz
I did something like this in my English class. We had to write an essay on Vietnam, so I turned it into an essay about how I didn't like hippies. The teacher gave me an A because I said it was my opinion on the war. So just tell your teacher you thought that was the message the book was trying to send....

Nah, I want him to know it's a joke. I don't want him to think I'm a sexist pig.

Actually, let me elaborate. I want him to take it seriously for a little while, at least, for funsies. Then we'll tell him it's a joke.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Rambo-Conny

Polo shirt?

Sunglasses?

Lol, well mostly all of my English teachers have been pretty cool about my essays, even though I don't take them seriously. I really don't know how they put up with me, if I don't like an assignment, I just turn it into something that barely pertains to the subject. Does your teacher like you? If he does I think you should be safe....
Quote by plastercaster
get some jokes in about kitchens, other than that.
I would give you a AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

minus

You'd give him a A?

You have no business grading English papers, my grammatically challenged friend.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by Gunpowder
You'd give him a A?

You have no business grading English papers, my grammatically challenged friend.

ZING!
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Rambo-Conny

Polo shirt?

Sunglasses?

Quote by LinkManDX
This reminds me of Peter Nguyen. He's written a few really funny joke essays, and actually handed in.

Example:

Example 2:

(Invalid img)

Yeah. I love that guy's essays.

Quote by justnmcknz
Lol, well mostly all of my English teachers have been pretty cool about my essays, even though I don't take them seriously. I really don't know how they put up with me, if I don't like an assignment, I just turn it into something that barely pertains to the subject. Does your teacher like you? If he does I think you should be safe....

Yeah, I'd say he likes me. I'm not all that worried about getting in trouble or anything. I don't think they can send me to the office for a joke essay.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Rambo-Conny

Polo shirt?

Sunglasses?