I just recently spent £200 on the POD XT LIVE and im happy with it but I think I just need to get used to it alot more to enjoy and understand getting the proper tones out of it..

I was thinking about installing EMG 81/85 into my Schecter C1 Exotic Star.

What I was wanting to know so I know im not wasting £120 is:

1) Will it make a difference in sound and playing?
2) Is it easy to install EMG's?

Hope to hear back.

Thanks

Rowan
emg's are supposed to be really good. i don't know about installing them
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
! yes a huge diff and 2 very easy... if u r good at soldering if not just take your guitar to a guitar shop and have them do it.

Left hand man of the fargoth fanclub! PM lamafunguy to join.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
lets watch this thread die like i should have on page 1
Throw the POD in the garbage and buy a new amp.
Quote by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.
I have a quote in my signature! And it makes fun of blink-182! I'm cool now!

[Obligatory link to my band's MySpace]
Ive never soldered before... my m8 said he can do it but I would trust him..

If not how much would a shop charge?
your just getting used to getting a good tone out of your pod. well imagine getting one in japanese that has a permanently flat battery thats how hard emgs will make it to get a good tone
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
you have a decent amp so you will hear the difference in pick ups

EMG85/81s are basically their own preamp so they boost the signal before the preamp on your peavey... this is basically only good for high gain type of music... ie. metal... you can play almost any style but it really is for metal

if u don't have experience installing pick ups then i would say that they are not easy to install... if u screw it up you could permanently damage not only hte pick ups but your guitar
-----
Peavey 6505+ w/ BG412F
B.C rich platinum pro w/ EMG 81&85
-----
They're very easy to install as long as you can solder a few parts.

However, I used to be a big fan of EMGs, but now I'd much prefer a set of passive DiMarzios over them for metal. I guess it's just what you're looking for in your sound though.

Quote by JanB
If u don't have experience installing pick ups then i would say that they are not easy to install... if u screw it up you could permanently damage not only hte pick ups but your guitar

I don't see where you're getting this from. You don't need to cut any holes for the batteries for EMGs like half the population of UG thinks you have to, just put it in the control cavity. And as for damaging the pickups, that's a very hard thing to do, plus the only thing that will be touching the pickups themselves is a little clip, if you break the pickups with that then you have no business trying to do anything.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at May 4, 2008,
Ahh... so the EMG's will make the POD sound a hell of alot better.

I do wanna get them and the pod I like but it keeps getting flamed even though everyone I see on YouTube who are legends use it and get an awsome tone.
i would bet a set of EMG 81/60s instead. the 60 has a better sound to me than the 85. the 85 is really shallow. and that is a great combo(EMGS and Schecter)

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
Use the money you'd spend on EMG's and buy yourself some well matched DiMarzio's or get your amp retubed and rebiased.
Man theres so much 50/50 opinions on this site...

PODS are amazing, PODS are ****
buy this, no buy this lol

So confusing.
go to a guitar store find the closest model to what you have WITH emgs and play it on the closest amp to what you have and go based on that

Quote by InvaderTSN
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
Quote by .Rowan
Ive never soldered before... my m8 said he can do it but I would trust him..

If not how much would a shop charge?

shops usually rape your wallet with rediculous fees and random charges, i would hope that it would be your last resort.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.