Page 1 of 3
Cherished Metal forum hessians, feel free to opiniate here the use of dissonance, or not, in metal.

I'm currently stripped of my guitar, and seldom are the times I write on paper exactly what's going on with my mind. That being said, I started playing with the dodecaphony and the twelve tone system, among other atonal and/or serialism techniques, and tried bringing it together with metal.

And because "thinking outside the box" is apparently encouraged, I started thinking and I realize there's a whole lot of consonance in music capable of scaring mere mortals. Why hasn't dissonance been brought together with metal (either though serialism-based techniques or just good old anarchich pre-atonalism) in order to move forward? It strikes me funny how, in a genre that aims or aimed to be beautiful while being able to discard each and every concept of traditional aesthetics, is actually assimilating more and more "soft" sounds. Don't get me wrong, I still like it, I'm just throwing ideas to mask the fact that I have nothing to say.

Discuss.
Last edited by CanCan at May 4, 2008,
You ever heard of The Dillinger Escape Plan, Head Control System or Behold....the Arctopus? That's dissonance up the ass
Quote by God_in_a_bag
fall of troy?

almost any math metal band

maybe you misread, he said metal
Quote by pwninator123
EPIC LOLZ FROM THE LEFTY!!!!!!

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

When I brought up this page, so much fail dumped out of my computer screen and all over my hands, severely damaging my ability as a musician.
metal is extremely dissonant,

Meshuggah?
Quote by pwninator123

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

When I brought up this page, so much fail dumped out of my computer screen and all over my hands, severely damaging my ability as a musician.
Yeah. Math metal, as said, uses this a lot.

Also, so do quite a lot of metal bands...Dissonance is cool.

I personally use odd tunings to move out of step with the other guitarist in my band, it sounds quite good when we get it right!
killswitch engage has some dissonant riffs, they're kind grindcore tho
Quote by pwninator123

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

Quote by Lefty7Stringer
maybe you misread, he said metal

if it has 'metal' in the title, I believe that it can be qualified as metal
Sweeping is for n00bs. I've moved on to vacuuming. Eventually I'll even try steam cleaning.

Bitches don't know
Quote by CrabShrapnel
if it has 'metal' in the title, I believe that it can be qualified as metal

no i was pointing out his mistake because he listed fall of troy, and the thread is titled dissonance in metal
Quote by pwninator123

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

Quote by Lefty7Stringer

Both sides of that sentence were very very wrong.
Quote by Lefty7Stringer

I lol.

TS, dissonance is widely used in metal. Hell, Black Sabbath's title song, the song that started it all, uses a tritone for its main riff.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
How is math metal not metal?

and i think your assessment that dissonance is not present in metal is quite incorrect. Meshuggah, for one, as has already been stated, uses very atonal and unconventional riffs. And several bands use tritones and half step intervals in their music, particularly when trying to be br00tal. Hardcore bands love throwing in a dissonance between their chug chug chug patterns.
"If you can do a half-assed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind."
-Kurt Vonnegut
Last edited by SenorBill at May 4, 2008,
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
Both sides of that sentence were very very wrong.

well listen to arms of sorrow, the counter rhythm is playing minor 2nds, are you saying that is consonant?
Quote by pwninator123

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

Quote by Lefty7Stringer

And

Edit:Mainly at the grindcore part.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Last edited by The Virtuoso at May 4, 2008,
Quote by dead-fish
I lol.

TS, dissonance is widely used in metal. Hell, Black Sabbath's title song, the song that started it all, uses a tritone for its main riff.

This.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
I'd say as a rule, if it isn't power metal, it has some dissonance

exceptions are always made
Sweeping is for n00bs. I've moved on to vacuuming. Eventually I'll even try steam cleaning.

Bitches don't know
Quote by SenorBill
How is math metal not metal?

and i think your assessment that dissonance is not present in metal is quite incorrect. Meshuggah, for one, as has already been stated, uses very atonal and unconventional riffs. And several bands (generally more on the hardcore side of things) use tritones and half step intervals in their music, particularly when trying to be br00tal.

read the post, i meant fall of troy is not metal, lol
of course math metal is metal
Quote by pwninator123

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

Sure, everybody loves oddities, but I didn't say metal had NO dissonance, I said I thought it could be more common.

And tritones aren't considered dissonant any more.

Thanks everyone, i'll check out the ones I didn't know of.
Erm, Opeth have a ****load of dissonant chords (Check out the song Deliverance...the intro has a couple dissonant chords in the beginning).
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Lefty7Stringer
metal is extremely dissonant,

Meshuggah?

Meshuggah, no matter how awesome they are, aren't that dissonant. Most of their riffs are done in unison by both guitars and the bass.
Quote by CanCan
Meshuggah, no matter how awesome they are, aren't that dissonant. Most of their riffs are done in unison by both guitars and the bass.

is today opposite day?.....oh....wait ......nope sorry, meshuggah is extremely atonal and dissonant

you=jody foster
Quote by pwninator123

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

Quote by Lefty7Stringer
read the post, i meant fall of troy is not metal, lol
of course math metal is metal

Yeah my bad i saw that after i had already posted.

And Meshuggah aren't dissonant in the sense of minor 2nds, augmented 5ths, considering they don't generally use any chords in their music apart from powerchords, but their riffs are atonal because they stray from conforming to any sort of defined scale, meaning there are many accidentals all over the place.
"If you can do a half-assed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind."
-Kurt Vonnegut
Last edited by SenorBill at May 4, 2008,
Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
Quote by Lefty7Stringer
well listen to arms of sorrow, the counter rhythm is playing minor 2nds, are you saying that is consonant?

did everyone miss this?
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
Quote by Lefty7Stringer
killswitch engage they're kind grindcore tho

Negative on that one, cap'n.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
Quote by Lefty7Stringer

Quote by Dirtydeeds468
Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord Blut Aus Nord

QFT
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
Quote by Lefty7Stringer

Dylan Moran says: "Up with this, I will not put"
Right, someone broke out Mr. Moran, we can let this die now.

Also, to the guy who mentioned Piggy...

You are a great man. A great, great, wonderful man.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by Lefty7Stringer
haha

sorry, thats just too funny
Quote by SenorBill
their riffs are atonal because they stray from conforming to any sort of defined scale, meaning there are many accidentals all over the place.

i lol'd
Quote by Blackening
slayer = dissonances at its best ;D

Agree, they have some extremely clashing and evil sounding solos, harmonies and riffs.

Quote by Lefty7Stringer

Oh, dear God, I've gone cold, my heart hurts with irrational and elitist pain.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Deathspell Omega - Fas, Ite, Maledicti in Ignem Arternum

If you want dissonance listen to the chord structure of this album. It's totally heinous.
Quote by AMGram
Deathspell Omega - Fas, Ite, Maledicti in Ignem Arternum

If you want dissonance listen to the chord structure of this album. It's totally heinous.

Its an insane album, full of discord.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Page 1 of 3