Hello UG, I recently got a message on my music myspace from Quickstar Productions, saying they are interested in using one of my tracks on an upcoming compilation. I'm trying to figure out if it's a scam, so any advice/input/previous knowledge of Quickstar Productions would be great! Thanks

Here's the message
Hey there,
I found your page here on myspace and I really liked the song “Humanity You Sick Mother ****er”. If you are interested, I wanted to extend an invitation to our upcoming compilation “Downtown Metal”. Below I have included part of the invitation that explains everything about the CD and our cause. Because of the popularity and success of the series we have made a new page. Make sure to also add Quickstar Productions main page in our top friends. I hope that you will be able to join us and if you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask.
Rock on,
Bryan

…… My name is Bryan Bosmans, a project manager with Quickstar Productions. We are putting out a compilation CD titled "Downtown Metal" and we would love to have you join us. This CD is going to be used to promote metal artists from all over the country. We know that metal is one of the most technical genres around, and want more people to appreciate it as much as we do.

“Downtown Metal” will be professionally produced, glass mastered, shrink wrapped, full color, and retail ready. The compilation will be sold through the bands on the CD and will also be distributed digitally in more than 300 mp3 retailers worldwide. This includes all the big stores you are use to like iTunes, Napster, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Vcast, etc. Quickstar Productions will pay the bands 50% of profits for these downloads. To further help the artists on the compilation, Quickstar Productions will also send out promotional copies to various contacts at Record Labels (Century Media, Trustkill, Relapse Records, Metal Blade, and Victory to name a few), Internet and College Radio Stations, Management Firms, etc. Included with the promotional CD’s will be a booklet giving more information on each band. The booklet will feature brief bios, contact information, and a picture. This will be used to help promote each and every artist on the CD.

To have your song included on our upcoming compilation CD, “Downtown Metal”, please visit our website to download the submission forms. We ask that each band purchase 50 CD’s at cost ($200) to help us cover the manufacturing, production, and shipping expenses included with this Compilation. Our recommended retail price for the CD is $7. 99, but of course you can sell them for whatever price you choose. If you sell them for our recommended retail, you take in $400. This is a great way to get more merchandise to sell at your shows and also a great way to target other fans in your genre. Since we plan to release this CD in the early summer of 2008, we ask that all submissions be returned by May 20, 2008. Please contact us with any questions or concerns and we hope to hear from you soon!

Rock On!
Bryan Bosmans

Quickstar Productions LLC
xxx. xxx. xxxx office
xxx. xxx. xxxx cell
xxx. xxx. xxxx fax
www. QuickstarProductions. com
xxxxxx@QuickstarProductions. com
AIM xxxxxxxxx
(contact information removed)
they are going to touch you. RUN!
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
I would be wary of anyone that asks for money upfront.

anyway, here is the website WHOIS info, been going for 4 years and has contact details the same as listed on the site, so it looks legit:

http://www.whois.net/whois_new.cgi?d=www.quickstarproductions.com&tld=com
Quote by nightraven
can't stand public showers
and yes i do have a small penis

Quote by thewho182
people in public showers make fun of my big dick

Quote by kyle33093
i would if pee pee was bigger

Yea, everything looks legit. It's from the official myspace, has the right contact info, my application/submission form would be sent to the company, and Ive found their CDs on iTunes and Amazon. Im just wary of having to spend the money up front.
Quote by saxaxe
Im just wary of having to spend the money up front.

Ask them to sign a contract so that you promise to pay if the CD produced meets your standards. That way they can't run off with your cash.

Edit: Also try contacting some of the bands listed on their website to get feedback on them. If they say it was no problem, then they are probably trustworthy.
Quote by nightraven
can't stand public showers
and yes i do have a small penis

Quote by thewho182
people in public showers make fun of my big dick

Quote by kyle33093
i would if pee pee was bigger

Last edited by Neillya1 at May 4, 2008,
Quote by Neillya1
Ask them to sign a contract so that you promise to pay if the CD produced meets your standards. That way they can't run off with your cash.

Yea, I've thought about that
http://www.quickstarproductions.com/forms/downtown_metal.pdf
Thats the link to the submission form. Apparently if you've been asked to submit a song, you're guaranteed a spot on the album, but it looks like you need to pay at the same time you submit the form.

EDIT:
Quote by Neilya1
Edit: Also try contacting some of the bands listed on their website to get feedback on them. If they say it was no problem, then they are probably trustworthy

How did I not think of that? Thanks haha