So my setup is definitely on the bright side, despite my best efforts to curb the almost painfully bright and rather harsh treble frequencies I'm getting. I'm planning on getting a new guitar and amp soon, so adjustments to my current rig are irrelevant, and I'm more than happy just playing my acoustic for now anyway. Basically, I want to know any tips on getting that warm dark tone, both clean and with distortion. I already know that I can darken the tone by switching to the middle or rear pickup position, turning down the tone knob, reducing the treble on the amp, and picking farther from the bridge Is there anything else short of swapping out the pickups if I have the same problem with later gear? I also want to know what amps you recommend that do darker tones well. Not too dark, but warm rather than bright would be nice. Price range has a very definite upper ceiling of $1000, and that may be stretching it . I'm willing to go used. Cleans are more important than distortion, I have a nice little tube distortion pedal that can carry the distortion if necessary. I'll be playing clean and with distortion roughly equal amounts, but as I said it must have good cleans. Preferably a combo, I have no real use for a half-stack. If the guitar matters, it will probably be mahogany, maybe with a maple top, rosewood or maybe ebony fretboard. Alder is a possibility, though mahogany is more likely. It will definitely have humbuckers. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Nightfyre at May 5, 2008,
something with Mahogany wood for a guitar. humbuckers help a lot too. and for an amp, probably an epi valve or if you can get the money i believe Fender Blues Jr.'s have an amazing clean and pretty decent breakup.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
hmmm...my VK has a pretty dark tone...that is the only thing I don't like about it
It has soooo nice cleans and such a nice distortion...I just needed to boost up the treble a lot xD
Try one out...212 is 500€...so you're gonna save a bit too

edit: misspelled boost
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by ortrigger
something with Mahogany wood for a guitar. humbuckers help a lot too. and for an amp, probably an epi valve or if you can get the money i believe Fender Blues Jr.'s have an amazing clean and pretty decent breakup.

Like I said, mahogany is likely, though I didn't mention that it will definitely use humbuckers. Went back and fixed that.
Should also mention styles: distorted tones will range from classic rock to metal, mostly hard rock to metal but not too extreme in the gain department. Cleans include standard cleans for above styles (though I'll probably favor my acoustic in that department) as well as jazz, though the jazz sound is heavily dependent on the guitar. Not sure, but I might spring for a semi-hollow guitar. If I did, it would probably be the PRS SE Custom semi-hollow. I will not be getting a full-hollow or ES-335 style guitar until I have an all-purpose electric, so basically just think solidbody guitars.
Thanks all, keep 'em coming!
hmmm, have you looked into getting a prs se singlecut? they sound really quite good and aren't too pricey.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hagstrom-F200-Electric-Guitar?sku=513347

Dunno how much it'll help, but I've heard this guitar described as "dark", tonally.

Are there any particular songs you could point us to, to show off the kind of tone you're after?
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by ortrigger
hmmm, have you looked into getting a prs se singlecut? they sound really quite good and aren't too pricey.

I have, but I'm leaning more towards the SE Custom, SE Custom SH, or SE Allender models should I get a PRS. It's not out of the running, but it's not near the top right now. Nice guitar though.
Not sure about that Hagstrom, the price seems a little low and the reviews aren't so hot. Plus it's a polyurethane finish, which kind of worries me.
Reminder: this is a "which amp?" thread, not a "which guitar?" thread. I have a list of guitars I'm looking at, but I'm not as sure about the amp right now. My main concern here is to find a darker-sounding amp, because even with the guitars I'm looking into I'm not always getting that darker sound I want when I plug them in and try them out, even after some eq'ing.
Some songs that have a darker (or at least not too bright) guitar tone:
anything by Iron Maiden. The highs are clear without being piercing, and it's not harsh by any means. I'd take that tone any day. Specific examples... well, I was just listening to "The Thin Line Between Love and Hate", so let's go with that.
Anything off of Porcupine Tree's Fear of a Blank Planet album.
Al di Meola's tone is a good example of a cleaner tone with what I'm looking for.
In the Presence of Enemies, pt 1 - Dream Theater (Any of their recent material will do, actually)
Desert Girl - Planet X (a little bright, but the highs have the right smoothness to them)
Glasgow Kiss - John Petrucci (On the brighter side but still good)

Songs with brighter guitar tones:
Ytse Jam - Dream Theater (To me, the tone is brighter here than on later DT and solo JP works)
Souls of Black - Testament
Cult of Personality - Living Colour

I tried to pick fairly well-known songs in standard tuning for the list, I'll add more if necessary.
Basically, the common thread with the "good" tones above is that the highs are clear but not piercing or harsh, and the lows feel low (don't know how else to explain that part, but imagine Cult of Personality played with a tone from the good list. The lows don't really feel low with Reid's tone.). The Iron Maiden tone is probably the closest to what I'm looking for.
If you want to post a song name and have me rate the guitar tone on that song as bright or dark I can do that too.
Last edited by Nightfyre at Sep 14, 2008,
Quote by Kozlic
hmmm...my VK has a pretty dark tone...that is the only thing I don't like about it
It has soooo nice cleans and such a nice distortion...I just needed to boost up the treble a lot xD
Try one out...212 is 500€...so you're gonna save a bit too

edit: misspelled boost

Throw in some JJ's
get a graphic EQ to dial out the harsh frequencies
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
Get a really dark voiced amp like a mesa rectifier or a 5150 if you really want that sound.