I've been searching on wikipedia and stuff and i've been driven to ask the general public of UG for help as i don't think i'm finding the stuff i want.

-------*Those who want to go straight to the point*-----------

Could some people recommend some artists that make good calm chill out music or atmosphere music?

*Those who have too much time on their hands continue reading*

I have to commute to London everyday and usually read a book or so when on the train. I'm one of those metal loving people but i recently thought i'd give 'chill' or 'atmospheric' music a try.

I'm not really sure what's it called. Like the slow drifty music that kinda leads to nowhere but is relaxing. Usually played by synthesisers etc. Cos usually when i'm sitting reading my book on the train i can either listen to the irritating baby next to me or some metal but occasionally the constant blast beats or rests in the song interupts my reading process. So do such artists exist and i'm wondering what are their names?

Just realised that it's one of the most confusing posts but wrote all that stuff first and felt it would all go to waste. :P
pink floyd could be good for what you're looking for

i really enjoy the mars volta for some chilling out too. they're kind of like a new age pink floyd

if you looking for some metal chill out stuff you could try some funeral doom or something lol my friend just introduced that **** to me it's pretty intense. i can't recommend and bands for you for that genre though. he played me a song that was pretty slow and just instrumental but really heavy
What kind of thing are you after? Rock? Metal? Electronica?

You could try Earth (their recent stuff - Hex, Hibernaculum or the Bees Made Honey) if you're after guitar music, or maybe Yawning Man (Rock Formations) for some instrumental rock that won't distract you from your book or whatever. Or you could try some relaxing dance music like the K&D Sessions.
STS9, when you listen to it quietly it can be very relaxing and chill, but when its blasted it is incredible and jams, one of the most intense musical experiences ever is a STS9 concert.
post-rock is great for this...check out Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai, Sigur Ros, Red Sparrowes, Slint, Pelican's newest album, Godspeed! You Black Emperor, A Silver Mt. Zion, etc.
Try Andy Mckee. Hes got some great chill out music like "All laid back and stuff", "Rylynn" and "For my Father" etc.
Thin Lizzy
Quote by Selkies921
post-rock is great for this...check out Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai, Sigur Ros, Red Sparrowes, Slint, Pelican's newest album, Godspeed! You Black Emperor, A Silver Mt. Zion, etc.

Seconded, all those bands are great stuff.

Also, you could try Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works, or something by Boards of Canada.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by Selkies921

+1 to all the above especially Sigur Ros, Mogwai and Explosions in the Sky
and in addition: Portishead, Air and Massive Attack
electro music alliance

Moon of The Mighty Boosh Appreciation Society PM *Juno* to join!

Quote by The 6th String
I learned to dance by watching amputees have seizures...
Quote by Selkies921

+1 to all of those. explosions in the sky was going to be the first thing i said.
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
Matt Costa
Jack Jhonson

edit: that's more like folk/reggae acoustic guitar type stuff
Last edited by Godsmack_IV at May 8, 2008,
An Explorer
God is an Astronaut
Massive Attack
Pink Floyd
This Will Destroy You
Tides

all of these bands really relax me.
Quote by fridge_raider
Seconded, all those bands are great stuff.

Also, you could try Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works, or something by Boards of Canada.

BoC are perfect chill out music although some of their work from Geogaddi can be a tad creepy (Beware the Friendly Stranger in particular). I would also like to add Helios into the suggestions, I recommend you check them out.
Definitely check out:

Amon Tobin
Bonobo
Brian Eno / Roger Eno
Explosions in the Sky
God is an Astronaut
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Jazzanova
A Northern Chorus
Sigur Ros
Thee Silver Mt Zion Memorial Orchestra and Tra La La Band

Those are some really good ones. Another band, not very well known in the US as Japan, but a band by the same of The Seatbelts, mostly known for their part in playing music for the popular anime Cowboy Bebop. They've got some ambient stuff, along with jazz and experimental type of deals. You should check em out. Some good songs are "Fingers", "23 Hanashi", "7 Minutes", "Elm", and "Goodnight Juila" along with many others.
Rabbits?

Quote by Grovermans
why would she suck your dick?

she's not related to you...
When i'm commuting through a city i usually have some instrumental beastie boys stuff like the instrumentals on the album "Ill Communication" or their new all instrumental album "The Mix Up"
Go to HOS.com and register for the free account. You can listen every sunday for free and get some good exposure to slow ambient music. "Slow music for fast times" as they call it. Don't ditch it if the first program you hear isn't what you're after. Just check up on it every Sunday a few times.

I'll second the Brian Eno recommendation, and I also recommend Harold Budd.
GANGSTAAAAAAS!

Chika! Chika! YEAH YEAH!

Quote by SG6578
That is regular hard maple...I'm 100% f*cking d*ck licking sure.
Numatic Soul
Eastern Sun
Omnimotion
Sounds From The Ground
White Noise Carousel
Carbon Based Lifeforms
Vibrasphere
Eluvium is perfect for what you want.
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Pink Floyd is always good. Also "Children (Dreams Version)" by Robert Miles is a great chill/atmoshpere song
Two of my favorites (and I can't believe they haven't been mentioned yet) are My Bloody Valentine's later stuff - Glider, Loveless, and Tremelo, the first and last of which are EP's; Loveless is one of the greatest guitar-oriented albums ever made - and Slowdive's Souvlaki. I only mentioned one Slowdive album because it's all I've heard so far by them, but it's ****ing incredible.

Incidentally, I was listening to Souvlaki when I found this thread.
I suggest Ray Lynch's Deep Breakfast.

Any of his albums would probably be a good choice but I've only heard that one.
Devin Townsend - The Hummer

a great ambient cd that is so soothing, I use it to help me relax all the time. If your looking for more rock type orientated stuff anything by Aeon Spoke is great - very textured music. All other suggestions have been great too!
Ulrich Schnauss
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Quote by DanRev

One of my favourite songs ever. Got it on a nice 12" slab of wax and the annoying thing is you're stuck with two rather crap remixes.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
I love songs with that double bass in the background, its just soothing for some reason.
Asura is pretty cool.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws