Page 1 of 3
Gosh. I'm having a hard time deciding between these two. I'm sided more towards the VK right now, but feel free to try to convince me that Bugeras are better =)

Only thing is, i've tried a VK before, but idk where to try a Bugera.

EDIT: I'm in for the heads only btw.
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard (Cherry finish)
Ibanez JS1000 (Black Pearl finish)

Effects:
Zoom G2.1u

Amp:
Bugera 333XL Head (Coming Soon)
Avatar G212H Special (Coming Soon)
Crate FW15R
I'd say the Bugera would be slightly better at metal and heavier styles, while the VK would have the edge on mod rock, classic rock, hard rock etc.
The bugera has far superior tone and distortion levels, but nobody knows how the reliability is. While the VK, while made in china, has a better reliability. But if you dont mind if your bugera might blow up on you then go for the bugera. If you want an amp that might last then get the VK, even though its tonally weaker that the bugera. But a tube and speaker swap would make it superior or on par then.
Guitar: Ibanez Rg 2ex2/ with Dizmarzio Super Distortion
Amp: Peavey Valveking 212 (replacing soon)
Pedals: Planet Waves Tuner, Boss DS-1, Digitech DF-7, MXR-108 EQ
Quote by yocomobebes
The bugera has far superior tone and distortion levels, but nobody knows how the reliability is. While the VK, while made in china, has a better reliability. But if you dont mind if your bugera might blow up on you then go for the bugera. If you want an amp that might last then get the VK, even though its tonally weaker that the bugera. But a tube and speaker swap would make it superior or on par then.

Oh yeah, my bad. The VK needs a speaker swap for what I said earlier to be true. I couldn't really get a usable tone out of mine with the stock speaker.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Oh yeah, my bad. The VK needs a speaker swap for what I said earlier to be true. I couldn't really get a usable tone out of mine with the stock speaker.

he said hes only in for the head... not a combo...

i say bugera btw
Well I'm getting either one of the heads, with a Avatar cab. So crap speakers are out of the question

So if I get a VK, tube swap it, it might beat the Bugera's tone?

I forgot to mention i play instrumental metal (vai, satch) rock stuff (blink 182, three days grace) and power metal (dragonforce, rhapsody)
Guitars:

Effects:
Zoom G2.1u

Amp:
Crate FW15R
Quote by -Collapse-
I'd go for the Bugera.
Played a VK in Guitar Center and was unimpressed.

Question is, have you heard one live/played one? I can't seem to find one anywhere =P
Guitars:

Effects:
Zoom G2.1u

Amp:
Crate FW15R
Quote by The Hummingbird
Well I'm getting either one of the heads, with a Avatar cab. So crap speakers are out of the question

I forgot to mention i play instrumental metal (vai, satch) rock stuff (blink 182, three days grace) and power metal (dragonforce, rhapsody)

theres a better choice...

1.buy bugera
2. swap tubes for some better
3. ????
4. profit
Quote by The Hummingbird

IMO, it would beat the Bugera's tone if you were playing lighter than metal. Otherwise I agree with the others and say get the bugera. Although I have to add that I get a very usable metal tone out of mine, I just think the Bugera's is better. I also cannot vouch for valve swap because I've never done it. You might want to PM mike.h.
5150 or V3 ftw! Id say those also before the bugera even. Plus those just blow the VK outa the water.
I don't feel safe buying from ebay, and I'm not into used gear =\
Guitars:

Effects:
Zoom G2.1u

Amp:
Crate FW15R
Hmm. I think VK + JJ's would be better then the Bugera. No one really knows if Bugeras will just break in 2, 3, 4, 6, 12, 24 months..as most of the time Peaveys will last for ever as I had a 5150 head from the 90s and it was dropped, and abused for years and it is still playin great.
Dude ebay is perfectly fine, as long as your not an idiot. And used amps, again perfectly fine. Im buying my 5150 off of ebay. Youll get a much better deal. Trust me. Why buy a mediocre new amp, that youll just get tired of in 4 months. When you could get a great used amp that youll cherish for a long time, because its a better model, albiet used though.
Vk.
Quote by HxCori<3
you sir, are the ultimate UG stereotype, praise a not so good metal player, zakk, put down other peoples playing, seriously say I WAS GONAA PLAYZ SOME UBER LEEDS LOZLOERLS~1!!!11!, and then critique epiphones as if there worth a second glance
Quote by jimmy666page666
Hmm. I think VK + JJ's would be better then the Bugera. No one really knows if Bugeras will just break in 2, 3, 4, 6, 12, 24 months..as most of the time Peaveys will last for ever as I had a 5150 head from the 90s and it was dropped, and abused for years and it is still playin great.

Yeah, I guess I'm going w/ original plan, VK.
Guitars:

Effects:
Zoom G2.1u

Amp:
Crate FW15R
I've been gigging on my Bugera for over a month now (it now has about 10 shows on it, ranging from jazz to hardcore. Honestly I can vouch for the versatility and so far, reliability under heavy useage. I still get killer sound on the stock sovteks, and I've heard nothing but raves from people who have finally made the change to JJs or other tubes. Use the knob on your guitar! The two channels of the Bugera can cover anything then
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
I've played both, and I can say that for the money they are great for what they're priced at. The Bugera has more features and sounded a lot better with heavier styles than the VK, but I would suggest playing the VK before you took my advice on this.
DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!
Kay. I guess Valveking and Bugera both have pretty nasty distortions =)

Can anyone comment on the cleans between the two?
Guitars:

Effects:
Zoom G2.1u

Amp:
Crate FW15R
Quote by The Hummingbird
Kay. I guess Valveking and Bugera both have pretty nasty distortions =)

Can anyone comment on the cleans between the two?

I'm pretty sure the cleans are good on both..but between the two...probably the VK.
Hmm... Do Bugeras need an OD pedal? Or is there enough gain as is?

And which Bugera would you recommend?
I read somewhere that:
6260 = Peavey 5150/6505
6262 = Peavey 5150 II/6505+
333 = Peavey XXX
333XL = Peavey JSX

^-Is that true?

BTW, they're rated at 100w (and 120w) clean right? So if I push the tubes into overdrive in can output more than 100w (and 120w) possibly blowing my speakers? (Cause the 2x12 i'm getting has 2 V30s which 60+60=120w)
Guitars:

Effects:
Zoom G2.1u

Amp:
Crate FW15R
Quote by The Hummingbird
Hmm... Do Bugeras need an OD pedal? Or is there enough gain as is?

And which Bugera would you recommend?
I read somewhere that:
6260 = Peavey 5150/6505
6262 = Peavey 5150 II/6505+
333 = Peavey XXX
333XL = Peavey JSX

^-Is that true?

BTW, they're rated at 100w (and 120w) clean right? So if I push the tubes into overdrive in can output more than 100w (and 120w) possibly blowing my speakers? (Cause the 2x12 i'm getting has 2 V30s which 60+60=120w)

Yeah, the Bugeras are all clones.
I know the 6260 and 6262 are right, but I have no idea on the 333's.

When it comes to wattage and speakers, it's just about responsible use of the volume knob.
If you pay attention for harmonic distortion and bottoming out, your speakers will be just fine.
Since 6262s have 6 preamp tubes, how much more gain would that have over the 4 in 333/333xls?
Guitars:

Effects:
Zoom G2.1u

Amp:
Crate FW15R
^-Can anyone answer that?

If not, I'm probably going w/ the 6262 because its cheaper+probably has more gain which is what I need for metal/hard rock.

Sooo.. I'm gonna ask my GC to see if they can get one in stock, and then i can compare it with the Valveking head =)
Guitars:

Effects:
Zoom G2.1u

Amp:
Crate FW15R
The 6262 has more gain than you'll need. I can vouch for that. And I don't think the gain can be compared with just preamp tubes, doesn't work that way. I'd say get the Bugera - but just in case, get a good warranty. I believe the problems with Bugera have usually been crappy stock tubes which blow up pretty soon, so any guitar shop would replace them, but just in case get a warranty.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by just17n8
theres a better choice...

1.buy bugera
2. swap tubes for some better
3. ????
4. profit

Hahaha
yeah dude my 333xl is reliable considering i used it 4 hrs straight and then pulled the power out accidenntly. Awesome amp.

And IMO the 6262 doesn't compare with 6505+. No balls but like i spose they're all handmade so it all depends
Well an OD tightens the sound of the Bugera a lot. The 6262 does have an extra preamp tube BUT this is for more clean headroom. The 6260 has a tad more gain. I can personally vouch for the amazingness of the Bugera cleans. They sparkle, and if you throw the bright switch on you can get more shimmer from it. They are nice and woody sounding. I use this thing for jazz and it works great.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
Quote by jimmy666page666
i would get the vk honestly. Never know if in a month or 2 your Bugera will just melt..

Please...
That could be ANY amp. Really.
Quote by TheEsupremacy
Please...
That could be ANY amp. Really.

I find it funny, though, that people call the bugera by the maker name. Regardless of what you think about the VK, that *is* peavey's logo on it, and regardless of what you think, a lot of the times, a name *does* matter.

There are always going to be bad eggs, but every piece of Peavey gear I have owned has been solid. I'd let Bugera prove themselves to me for quite a few more years before they would get anywhere near the "name" of Peavey, strictly on a build and trust standpoint.
Quote by HxCori<3
you sir, are the ultimate UG stereotype, praise a not so good metal player, zakk, put down other peoples playing, seriously say I WAS GONAA PLAYZ SOME UBER LEEDS LOZLOERLS~1!!!11!, and then critique epiphones as if there worth a second glance
Quote by ParryPerson
I find it funny, though, that people call the bugera by the maker name. Regardless of what you think about the VK, that *is* peavey's logo on it, and regardless of what you think, a lot of the times, a name *does* matter.

There are always going to be bad eggs, but every piece of Peavey gear I have owned has been solid. I'd let Bugera prove themselves to me for quite a few more years before they would get anywhere near the "name" of Peavey, strictly on a build and trust standpoint.

Ask someone who is older what the Peavy name/quality meant 20 years ago. Peavy Bandit anyone?? (Worst amp I ever heard besides a Gorilla) The 5150/6505 series saved this company's reputation imho.
Well, I mean thats subjective to a degree. A name matters only so much as one lets it. A few years ago, a lot of the amp and guitar makers that people love now would've been blacklisted because they weren't "proven". Thing is, it takes people taking a risk, biting the bullet and decide that durability issues be damned, they will get the best tone they can buy. I bought a 6260 combo and couldnt be happier. Do I know if the amp will blow up on friday when I play a show? Certainly not! Does that concern me....well not really. If you take care of, and properly maintain your gear, it will take care of you. I check I bias regularly, if a component goes bad, I replace it. I do this with all of my gear. And yeah, old Peavey amps did suck. I know techs that still hate Peavey because of what was put out 20 years ago. They lasted forever, but my God, you wished it would die. Orange QC has gone down the toilet, and people still buy them. Why? Because they sound excellent.

For me, if I were given the choice between a bulletproof amp that sounded ok but I knew would last 20 years, or a killer sounding amp that just came out and hasn't been "proven", I would go for the latter, and be the one to prove its reliability.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

The MXR Lounge
Quote by Bloodshed
Orange QC has gone down the toilet, and people still buy them. Why? Because they sound excellent.

Really? I haven't heard anything like that.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by The Hummingbird
I don't feel safe buying from ebay, and I'm not into used gear =\

Used is the way to go. You can get much better gear for the same price used. I have never used any of Bugera stuff, so I can't comment on that. My friend has a Valveking that he brings over when we jam. I personally think it is a cheap and flat sounding amp. He thinks the same, and its his amp. I would stay away from it. I would say go for the used 5150, like some others said.

And if that's not enough to convince you, watch this: (no pedals except whammy)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VywlVf3lE1s

That just sounds horrible.

Good luck with your choice.
Quote by Bloodshed
Well, I mean thats subjective to a degree. A name matters only so much as one lets it. A few years ago, a lot of the amp and guitar makers that people love now would've been blacklisted because they weren't "proven". Thing is, it takes people taking a risk, biting the bullet and decide that durability issues be damned, they will get the best tone they can buy. I bought a 6260 combo and couldnt be happier. Do I know if the amp will blow up on friday when I play a show? Certainly not! Does that concern me....well not really. If you take care of, and properly maintain your gear, it will take care of you. I check I bias regularly, if a component goes bad, I replace it. I do this with all of my gear. And yeah, old Peavey amps did suck. I know techs that still hate Peavey because of what was put out 20 years ago. They lasted forever, but my God, you wished it would die. Orange QC has gone down the toilet, and people still buy them. Why? Because they sound excellent.

For me, if I were given the choice between a bulletproof amp that sounded ok but I knew would last 20 years, or a killer sounding amp that just came out and hasn't been "proven", I would go for the latter, and be the one to prove its reliability.

Oh boy. Orange fans arn't gonna wanna hear that Bloodshed. Even if it's true.
Yeah, the valve kings get raves from a lot of people, so I tried one out the other week and it was muddy no matter how much I played with the EQ.
I'd take a decent solid state over a VK now, after that horrible experience.
Page 1 of 3