How do I know if my action is to high or too low?

I know how to actualy adjust it but I dont know like how like how high and stuff it should be. If need be I can take a few pictures but if you can tell me about where it should be that would help. Thanks
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
well. it's just what you prefer actually. but when you hear fretbuz, it could be caused by (to) low action
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
It's up to how you like it.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
I would put it as low as you can without getting buzz. But if you use alternate tunings, set the action in the lowest one you use, so you don't downtune and get buzz you didn't have before.
Fret buzz = Too low.

You'll simply know when it's too high, as that is pretty much nothing but a question of preference. I've never seen a guitar with its action set so high, that it could actually be called "wrong". Yet stock Les Pauls and a lot of blues-oriented guitars have their action set way too high for my personal taste. Check the feel of the neck, and judge from there.
Depends on what feels right to you. I like mine low, but you just gotta make sure yer not getting any dead spots. Make sure every note on every fret plays right. The lower yer action is, the easier it is to play 'cause you don't have to push down so hard.
Should I set it myself?

and I don't have a tuner so do you know if there are any accurate online tuners?

I have a tuner I borrow every other weekend and it doesnt usually go out of tune that much by then unless I change the strings
So please post one that you can check and see if it is actually close.
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
My advice is to invest like $25~ for a tuner and tune it every day you play.
It's all a matter of comfort and sound. You can always get used to a higher action, but don't hurt yourself or the sound of your playing!
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant