Ok I'm confused
What should i learn first to get me on track onto learning how to create my own music
Should i first learn a certain scale
AND YES! i do know music theory
so yea
any tips on gettin me off the ground and into makin music?
please help
thanx
Kee Romero
Find a simple melody by searching your head, then with music theory apply it to the piece and complete it the way you think it should sound.
How can you know music theory and not know how to write your own song?

To start basic:
Pick a key, pick a progression, put a lead over it.

To illustrate with an example:
Key of C major holds the notes C, D, E, F, G, A, B

Progression being I - III - V which is essentially C, E, G

Now write a lead over those chords while staying in key.
Quote by Fr33styl3
Ok I'm confused
What should i learn first to get me on track onto learning how to create my own music
Should i first learn a certain scale
AND YES! i do know music theory
so yea
any tips on gettin me off the ground and into makin music?
please help
thanx

just get creative. Put a few chords together and make a chord progression, or a riff. Put some notes together to make a melody. There are all sorts of approaches you can take. It just comes down to you being creative.
Well what got me started was playing with a friend. He will come up with some chord progression and after we record it i will come up with a melody that fits it, and vice versa. Tons of fun.
Quote by Archaon
Progression being I - III - V which is essentially C, E, G
To remain in key, which is by no means mandatory, it would be I - iii - V, C Em G.

I guessing you picked 3 random chords, but C Em G resolves to G IMMHOHO.
well somtimes i just pick up the guitar play something and it sounds good so i figure out the key and if I'm using any chords and then expand off there. i find it hard to find a melody thing rather than arpeggiating chords or playing them
You don't write music by just wanking around hoping that good things come out. You have to get inspired, and start thinking in your head what you want to write. Not in what key, or with what scale, but what sound. They, apply it to paper or to your guitar and start working with it. Once you can come up with just a little thing, like a random melody or a random lyrical line or something, it's not hard to just keep adding and adding until you have a full length, listenable song.
Quote by CowboyUp
You don't write music by just wanking around hoping that good things come out. .

thats not entirely true, thats how most of my stuff comes about.
Quote by z4twenny
thats not entirely true, thats how most of my stuff comes about.

It can work, yes, but I think the better method is to think of things in your head, because then you know you will get exactly what you want.
I like to use the a minor scale alot.

Sometimes, when i can't think of anything, I'll just look for patterns with my fingers.
Like, "What shape are my fingers making? Are they to close, should they be spread apart?"

You'd be surprised what might happen.
i usually make songs by accident. ill just be playing something and ill go into a chord progression and then ill change up the rhythm a bit and add some more chords and then i just have a song. then ill write words to go along with it.

as far as tips go, try doing a spin off of another song. usually ill play a song and then ill just kinda go off on my own thing. you could also try changing regular chords to major, dom, and minor 7ths or 6ths or 9ths to change things up. doing that might open you up to something you hadnt thought of. that happens to me. ill fiddle around with different voicings and just try to hear what leads into what and then i turn it into a song.

but im not any good with riffs. i can make progressions and i basically just play a lead over them. sometimes i might come up with some simple melody to go along with it. but that usually comes while im recording. i find it easier when i can hear the song playing in the background. so i dont write riffs, melodies or solos until im recording. solos are usually all improvised and ill just keep taking new takes until i do one i like. sometimes ill listen to a take and borrow some licks and put them in the new take so it might be partially improvised and also has a bit of planning behind it.
It just depends. Sometimes I hear a melody in my head.
So I'll just record it. Then i'll write a backing track for it.

Sometimes..I'm bascially force to write and complete a song
just so i don't hear the damn thing boucning in my head.

Other times I'll just trun on the drum machine and just jam to whatever.
Select different drum loops or guitar tones. Wheather it's a riff or progression
it dosn't matter, whatever happens happens.
Then I'll start structuring around it.

Other times I know i want to make song a certain style so I'll force it.
However most of the songs i write has a life if it's own after a while.
I have to remind myself..."Play the guitar or music"
It's suppose to be fun.

A Digital recorder is nice to have. You can change things around
add or remove tracks Insert or remove parts of songs.
Make corrections. Sometimes it's months until I'll figure out a certain
chord or part of a song to complete it.

Sometimes I go back to the basic. it's amazing how a song comes to life.

Sometimes i just step away from music for a while. i don't even listen to
music for a while. When I play again there's thousands ideas bouncing
around in my head.
What I did was - Find out what kind of sound I wanted, what the best scale for sound is and work around it. It can take months to perfect a song so don't give up just because you can't think of anything.. I also guess different methods work for different people. Inspiration is good to use, but there are limitations as though you can't copy a song. Music theory is good to have so you can describe what you are doing. I guess the decent way to do it is to put it into guitar-pro so you can always refer to it later on and know the structure inside and out.
i just mess around until i come up with something good. (look at the tab "michael lewis - masterpiece", i wrote it)