I really need to get rid of my Spider III, and i'm looking into getting a tube amp. It would mostly be for bedroom use and practice.
I would like something that could do metal, but it needs to be versatile. pedals are fine, suggestions would be great..
Which would be better out of those two?

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Dudeeeeeee!

Vk 112
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
Quote by Dark_Raven10
Dudeeeeeee!

Vk 112

+1.
Quote by Dave_Mc
less headroom than the windsor head? what, does it distort before you plug it in?

The VK is alot more amp then the Vj. If it's just for practice your money is better spent on the Vj with a few pedals. 50 watts will strip the paint off your bedroom walls.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
The VK is alot more amp then the Vj. If it's just for practice your money is better spent on the Vj with a few pedals. 50 watts will strip the paint off your bedroom walls.

Haha, well put.
And yeah, for now it will be practice and i'm on an extreme budget. Although since i'm on such a budget i won't see any upgrades any time soon. (ie a new amp). so what would be better in the long run?

^
He's laughing at YOU.

Ibanez RG370DX
i was in the same position as you just a few weeks ago. ( cept i had an mg :p )
was gonna get the vk112 but it would have been far to loud just for practice. so i went for the vk royal 8 (5 watt) and a bad monkey OD. so glad i didnt get the 112 now, even the little royal 8 is load as fu*k. would recomend the royal 8/bad monkey OD to anyone.
vk
My Gear:
Jay Turser Warlock
Baraccuda Strat
Takamine EG523SC
Samick Acoustic
Vox AD50VT
Boss DS-1
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by MakeItWitChu
Haha, well put.
And yeah, for now it will be practice and i'm on an extreme budget. Although since i'm on such a budget i won't see any upgrades any time soon. (ie a new amp). so what would be better in the long run?

I've got both the Vj combo and head/cab. If it was about cash I'd rather have the $150 combo with pedals then the $250 head/cab without. but like scummy says royal 8/Valve Jr with Bad Monkey OD is pretty nice setup. These little tube amps are alot better then <$300 SS amps for tone when you get pedals involved.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Alright, and the Royal 8, will it do metal with the right pedals?

Metal as in LoG, CoB, Metallica and such.

^
He's laughing at YOU.

Ibanez RG370DX
Now your starting to push the limits of a small speaker. i get some decent metalica with my POD XTL and 12" cab, but that's about as heavy as i get and I'm thinking that's about what the limit of that cab will do with the eminence speaker. Speaker change would do wonders I'm sure, but now your talking more $$$ again. Need to go out and try before you make a decision.

edit: I should also add that a completely different cab would probably give you better results. It all comes down to the $$$$
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Last edited by scott58 at May 4, 2008,