Well recently I've tried playing various scales and exercises without thumb contact on the neck. My fingers got tired a lot faster, within about 20-30 scale runs. Is this a good way to play to increase muscle strength in the hand, or is it harmful, or does it even make a difference. Because if so, then I can pretty much shorten my scale exercises in time to just do this, and spend more time on repertoire . Try it and tell me if you feel the same.
Just out of personal experience, I think it's a good thing to practice once in a while simply because you're not meant to use that much thumb pressure on the neck anyway. Too many guitarists press their thumbs against the neck which causes unnecessary tension.

I haven't tried it for long periods of time so I've never gotten as tired as you have described, but I generally do so for a minute or two when I'm warming up.
Quote by one vision
Well recently I've tried playing various scales and exercises without thumb contact on the neck. My fingers got tired a lot faster, within about 20-30 scale runs. Is this a good way to play to increase muscle strength in the hand, or is it harmful, or does it even make a difference. Because if so, then I can pretty much shorten my scale exercises in time to just do this, and spend more time on repertoire . Try it and tell me if you feel the same.

personally I think its a bad idea. Im not a big fan of practice one thing to achieve another. Practice the way your actually going to play.

Quote by fixationdarknes
Too many guitarists press their thumbs against the neck which causes unnecessary tension.

resting the thumb on the neck, does not create tension. Its the standard way to grip a guitar neck for a reason. it actually alleviates the tension.... it doesn't create it. The reason he got tired faster is because of the increased tension in the hand, from not having the thumb in its proper place.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at May 4, 2008,
Jake E Lee actually uses his thumb as an extra finger to play, so I don't see why it would be a problem, just another way of playing.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by GuitarMunky

resting the thumb on the neck, does not create tension. Its the standard way to grip a guitar neck for a reason. it actually alleviates the tension.... it doesn't create it. The reason he got tired faster is because of the increased tension in the hand, from not having the thumb in its proper place.

Right. Resting the thumb on the neck is indeed the proper way to play. I said pressing the thumb against the neck. I understand the difference.

My original point was that if you played like TS did for a while, it would help you realize that your thumb should barely be exerting any pressure on the neck, that it simply rests there.
Last edited by fixationdarknes at May 4, 2008,
Quote by The Virtuoso
Jake E Lee actually uses his thumb as an extra finger to play, so I don't see why it would be a problem, just another way of playing.

He may do that to achieve an effect, but in general he plays like everyone else with his thumb behind the neck. ( the standard grip).

Standard (jakes usual grip):

using the thumb to allow a bigger stretch (and to look cool doing it):

Quote by fixationdarknes
Right. Resting the thumb on the neck is indeed the proper way to play. I said pressing the thumb against the neck. I understand the difference.

My original point was that if you played like TS did for a while, it would help you realize that your thumb should barely be exerting any pressure on the neck, that it simply rests there.

I think your better off just playing with the thumb behind the neck and not pressing hard.
Otherwise your training your hand to be in a position it shouldn't be in, and your actually causing tension that you dont want.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at May 4, 2008,
Quote by GuitarMunky

I think your better off just playing with the thumb behind the neck and not pressing hard.
Otherwise your training your hand to be in a position it shouldn't be in, and your actually causing tension that you dont want.

That's why I said I only do it for one or two minutes. You're right though one shouldn't be in that position for too long.
Quote by one vision
Does anyone know if it actually helps with building muscle strength, or harm them? Any muscleologists in here? I do it for a few scale runs, that's it.

I dont think it helps with building muscle strength, any more than just playing the guitar does. Your moving your hand/fingers differently than you would if you were playing with the proper grip. There's really not much good that can be gained from it, and there may be some bad because of the unnecessary strain and tension your putting on your hand and fingers. I think its a "cool sounding idea" but I wouldn't recommend doing it.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at May 5, 2008,