I just recently purchased a Traynor YCS100H Custom Special the other day and it's on it's way in the mail. Actually, it should be here by tomorrow. Anyways, I just bought a cab yesterday for it. The Traynor amp I bought powers at 4-ohm's on 100 watts, but it also has a mode where you can switch it to just 30 watts that powers at 2-ohm's. The cabinet I bought runs at 4 and 16-ohm's on Mono and 8-ohm's on stereo. Now, I know that the Traynor will work fine on 100-watt mode (I hope), but what would happen if I tried to change it to the 30-watt mode? Would it blow a tube? I really would like to know so nothing bad happens and I have to make a return.
DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!
I doubt it. I dont know much about ohms but unless you have the amp exceeding the cabs ohms then it won't blow anything (from what I know). So if the amp is set to LESS then the amp, I don't see how it could harm either.
Quote by acoginthesystem
I doubt it. I dont know much about ohms but unless you have the amp exceeding the cabs ohms then it won't blow anything (from what I know). So if the amp is set to LESS then the amp, I don't see how it could harm either.

Thanks, man. One guy at Guitar Center said something about making sure you match the ohm's, so I was just trying to make sure before I went and destroyed new equipment, haha!
DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!
yea acoginthesystem is right, the only way you can hurt something is if you set you're head to a level above what the cab's handling power is, that's when u can blow the speakers. you'll be fine with that setup.
Lower head output ohms won't hurt anything, save your amps headroom (possibly). Exceeding the cabs ohm rating, however, will more than likely blow a speaker/speakercone.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3