im looking to get a new bass, for around $500. any suggestions? ive been playing for 2 years now and am looking to replace my ibanez GSR200.
What sound are you looking for? The Sr 500 is around $500 US and it's a nice bass. I've heard good things about schecter but I don't have any experience with them.
ESPs

Left hand man of the fargoth fanclub! PM lamafunguy to join.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
lets watch this thread die like i should have on page 1
Quote by rokknrollldude
Epiphone t-bird, i strongly recommend

I would get a MIM Fender jazz or precision bass. Any particular look or sound you're going for?
i tried a t-bird a few days ago and the neck dive was insane.
im mostly going to be playing at my church, so not so much growl, not so much pop. really deep would be nice to.
a unique body style would be sweet, too.
Quote by rokknrollldude
Epiphone t-bird, i strongly recommend NOT TO GET

Fixed.
Quote by amitbob21
ok im a noob at slapping. Is it my strings or do i just suck at slapping? I have a squier fender J bass(im a noob). Im thinking of getting Ibanez GSR200

Quote by CheekanWofls
Practice on your wife
I played an SR500 a few days ago and it felt good and sounded nice. It might not have all the depth that you're looking for, though... a P bass will probably be better for that.
Similarly, you might want to check out Ibanez ATK. The Ibanez cousin to the P-Bass. Fat bass, really.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
yeah, i thought about getting an SR500 before i got my gsr, but i heard that it has a really soft body, so it dents really easily.
the p-basses are nice, arent they out of my price range...?
not MIM p-basses. look at the GC website.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I find it difficult to recommend standard MIM Fenders. They just don't do anything for me. If you go used, and do a lot of looking, you could perhaps get a Jazz Bass 24, which is one of a few Fenders I was genuinely impressed with. I own a Schecter, and it is a great bass for what it is. It is not a Fender. And regardless of what anyone tells you, good EQing and sensible playing CAN get you a jazz tone out of the bass. You might want to try a Rockbass by Warwick also, as you'll be hard pressed to find a REAL Warwick a that price. Though I have seen a couple.

Oh, whats your amp situation? Thats more important.
HAHAHA my amp situation is a joke. i can only tell you that its a piece. like cheapest thing on the block. but, im not in a band, i'm mostly going to be playing it at church, where im plugged through a DI-box anyways. the amp isnt all that important, personally.

to tell you the truth, im really not a fender-type person.
I don't find it hard. they play allright, are usually reliable.
but indian probably knows more than I do.
do you ever want to play outside of church? I'm a church musician and I would die without a good jam amp. how many watts do you have?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Last edited by the humanity at May 4, 2008,
no, im dont play too often outside church....
just my school band, but im graduating this year, so i wont have to worry about it after june.
wattage.....on my home amp, about 5. i think. it came with my very first bass, in the ibanez start-up pack. im kinda looking to move away from the ibanez.
but yeah, it would be kinda nice to have a quality amp of my own. next year im going to be moving into res at my university, so volume might be an issue.
im only gonna have about a $500 limit, tho, i dont have too much money to spend on my stuff.
if you like musicman basses you can get a used SUB sterling or stingray for around $500
Quote by farm_boy
yeah, i thought about getting an SR500 before i got my gsr, but i heard that it has a really soft body, so it dents really easily.
the p-basses are nice, arent they out of my price range...?

Haha! I thought I just took bad care of my bass. I didn't know it dented easily. I have so many goddamn dents and indents and little chunks missing. Heh, either way its a nice bass for the price. Great playability and versatility.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.
im leaning toward the schecter stiletto extreme-5, you guys hear anything about those?
Ibanez ATK. Easily the best bass for the price ANYWHERE.

However, you'd be surprised what you find used for that price. I scored my vintage Stingray for $600, and it was in great shape, minus a bad nut.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
fender fender fender fender.
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
I am selling a Fender Jazz Deluxe, Mexican version. Its a great bass, I just don't have the time to put into it that I used to.

See the heading: Gear 4 Sale, Fender Jazz Bass and Peavey Amp
First of all, I want to stress something:

A lot of knobs doesn't mean a better bass. Bass guitars with actives and/or preamps with bass/treble/mids knobs will give you more options if you use pedals a lot, but are mostly a convenience thing.

With that said.. A few names come to mind. If you're looking for a **** ton of growl, take a look at Ibanez SRX's, if you're looking for thump, play some MIM Fender P-Bass', if you're looking for a great slap tone and a lot of versatility, take a gander at Ibanez Ergodynes or the SR500.

Long story short, take a look at all the Ibanez' in your price range you can find. I couldn't reccomend Ibanez for low to mid range basses enough. Way better tone for your buck, absloutely.

At the end of the day though.. Shopping online and reading user opinions will only get you so far. In the end, the only way to do it is to take a trip to the local music stores and play everything within your price range and see what takes your fancy. My last cash-in-hand trip had me expecting to walk out with an MIM Fender Jazz Bass.. I ended up leaving with an Ibanez SRX590. It's lame and it might be a total cop-out, but go with what sounds right for you.
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Being a rather mediocre musician myself, I'm all on the hand of Haanz.

Guitar:
MIM '09 Fender Telecaster
Laney VC15-110 Old English White '10
Freshman FOP1DN Acoustic

Bass:
Ibanez SRX590
Laney RB4
Tech21 SansAmp BassDriver DI
Boss ODB-3
Last edited by Haanz at May 9, 2008,
Really now, why wouldn't you want a lot of growl playing at church? I bought my bass originally for use at my youth group and it has some growl to it. Speaking of, the bass in my sig is great for what you want. It's not got a terribly hi-fi tone to it, if that's your bag, but it'll get you where you need, tone-wise. Personally, I think it's the perfect bass for playing in church. Peavey and Ibanez are the brands you want to take a peek at.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
I Played it last night (Ibanez SR500 ) plugged into a Gallien-Krueger Backline 600/Goldline 4x10 Stack and I don't want one, I've gotta have it , Great at Church too!!!