Hi pit. I live in Greece, Europe, and I want to buy a used bass from a Talkbass member. The price is 1100 dollars (with shipping and 1000$ insurance) which is like 714 euros for me. It is a real bargain considering that the bass (fender american standard jazz bass) costs 1222 euros new here, and that the bass is brand new (well, almost). So, everything is perfect except of the import duties. I have heard that they can reach even the half of the value of the object imported, and this is not a good thing. So, I am trying to avoid them at all costs. I know that if the object has a declared value smaller than 50 dollars/euros, or is labeled as "GIFT" and doesn't have a big value, then no import duties are applied. Also, if you bring the item with you (for example if you carry the guitar/bass in a gig bag with you) then you have no problem either. But I can do none of these. Obviously I can't go to america and get it by myself, and I can't tell the seller to declare the 1000 dollar bass as a 40 dollar one because they will find out I guess. Also, this way I would have 40 $ insurance, or no insurance at all, so anything bad could happen. I guess that my best bet would be to send it to some relative of mine in the US, and wait for him to come here, but this could take really long. Do you have any ideas in mind? What can I do? Could I send it here and say that I had forgotten it there, or something like this?? Any help will be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Dingwall Afterburner I 5 string
Warwick Blue Cab 30 practice amp
Quote by thefitz
But hold on - you're debating on whether or not to buy a bass or keep your house? That's pretty fucking hardcore!
get it shipped to a country near you then go pick it up

Left hand man of the fargoth fanclub! PM lamafunguy to join.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
lets watch this thread die like i should have on page 1
Anyone serious?
Dingwall Afterburner I 5 string
Warwick Blue Cab 30 practice amp
Quote by thefitz
But hold on - you're debating on whether or not to buy a bass or keep your house? That's pretty fucking hardcore!
i was serious

Left hand man of the fargoth fanclub! PM lamafunguy to join.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
lets watch this thread die like i should have on page 1