So recently i bought an epiphone goth g-400 guitar and i was so excited when i got it.

but playing it couple of times i found it didn't really stay in tune that well and when i went to tune it, it still wouldnt get in tune!!
Cause when i read the reviews most of them said it stays in tune great except one that said it might get out of tune easily but it has grover tuners so i excepted it to stay in tune well.

So i was thinking maybe it has to do with the set up because i did start playing it straight out of the box. but on the little pamphlet that comes in the box the epiphone people checked off the they checked for intonation, etc. so isnt it already set up? or...maybe not? i dunno. hence the question:

Should i go to my local music store to get it set up? or is it something else that causing it get out of tune so easily? or do i just need to play it for a while before it starts worked well (staying in tune) like with ice skates? (i dunno if ice skates are a good comparison..haha)

thanks!
yes. go get it set-up.

when you order a guitar online or get it shipped, its almost certain to arrive out of tune, and in need of a set-up.
Getting a setup from a music store is a really good idea if you're, you know, noobish with maintenance whatever. It's only like 20-30 dollars. Sometimes that works and your guitar will stay in tune better, sometimes it doesn't. And the first place to go is usually the tuners. Are you sure they're Grover? Because I had Grover tuners on my Schecter I just sold and it stayed in tune very well. Do they say Gibson on them? If they do, they're probably not Grover. Buy some Grover or Schaller locking tuners and put them in there. I don't know what a music store costs for that, as I'm about to find out myself, getting new tuners for my Gibson and there's no way I'm gunna have a crash course in drilling on my guitar!
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
Strange, I have the same exact guitar, and I have had no complaints with the tuners. I even broke one off and replaced it, and have had no problems. Get it set up, as already pointed out.
Quote by thebasshacker
Install a Floyd Rose. Problem Solved

Do you know what's a floyd rose?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
the strings might be the problem just play it and do a bunch of bending and it may get better and stay in tune longer, that's the only think I hate about new strings
My G400 can keep in tune for a week without tuning it. I bought it online but the guy i ordered it from did all the stuff such as the height of the strings, blah blah.
First thing to do is stretch the strings.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
yeah i might get it set up.

but just wondering what was the point of them checking for playability: action 12th L6H9 1st L2H7, intonation, buzzing, electronics, cleaning, string change if im just going to end up going to my local music store and getting it set up?

@steven seagull
what do u mean stretch the strings?

like tuning my guitar to like GCABDg??
or what chinkboy7 said like
do a bunch of beating?
Stretch them while they are on the guitar very hard, it should go pretty much out of tune. Then tune it back.
Quote by holandricflute
yeah i might get it set up.

but just wondering what was the point of them checking for playability: action 12th L6H9 1st L2H7, intonation, buzzing, electronics, cleaning, string change if im just going to end up going to my local music store and getting it set up?

@steven seagull
what do u mean stretch the strings?

like tuning my guitar to like GCABDg??
or what chinkboy7 said like
do a bunch of beating?

Tune the guitar, then grab a string ad give it a couple of good tugs - it'll likely go flat so retune it and try again, eventually it'll stop going flat then move on to the next string and do the same.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

oh ok thx!

why does stretching it help? like what's the physics behind it? how does stretching it help?
Quote by Ergin
My G400 can keep in tune for a week without tuning it. I bought it online but the guy i ordered it from did all the stuff such as the height of the strings, blah blah.

Same thing with my LP. Set up the guitar and make sure your putting the strings on the right way. Oh and stretching makes the string loose and easier to tune. just fret some where on the board and pull the string away from the guitar and re-tune.
Quote by holandricflute
oh ok thx!

why does stretching it help? like what's the physics behind it? how does stretching it help?

The strings have a certain amount of elasticity in them, meaning that when you tension them they'll stretch a little. The more tension, the more they stretch, however during normal playing you the strings only tend to get stretched a little by bending and suchlike, By manually stretching them you'll eventually take them past their elastic limit which means they've stretched as much as they can
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

hey thanks you guys for all the advice

the stretching worked.

it stays in tune so well now. =D =D =D
Glad to hear it was just NSS (new string syndrome). If it wasn't I was going to ask if you had strung the guitar properly as well, a lot of times you'll get tuning problems even with good (non-locking) tuning machine heads like Grovers if you don't properly string it.

Of course, the "proper way" is debatable and probably can be several different ways, but yeah. I mean, hell, B.B. King wraps the entire excess string around the post. That goes against several theories, yet you hardly hear about him ever going out of tune and he bends a lot.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
i think your string is just new, hence the out of tune thing as stated above ^ (read steven seagull's post for more reference) when you get a new pack of strings, bend them as high as possible, somewhere between a full bend and a 1 1/2 bend. works fine for me.
Ulquiorra Schiffer of THE BLEACH CLUB!

The Official UG Hate Crew member!

Love me because i'm an azn. hell yeah.