too many times i go to clubs and i either hear way too much bass or I think metallica is on stage(after cliff) and hear little bass. Myself and and my friend are both running 60w tube amps. Our bass player is looking for another amp . Here goes the often used question on ug what should he get? it will be primarily thrash with rock thanks for your imput and sorry if it is sortof noobish. I just don't want him to waste time and money thanks alot guys and girls
have him get a 100w and an EQ. his loud frequencies should range from 64hz-2khz while the guitars should range from 150hz-5khz. the middle ground where the 2 meet is where cuts and boosts should be made, depending on how you guys want your tone. for thrash i recommend adding around 1khz-2khz on the guitars, cutting a little of 500hz and giving the bass more of the low frequencies.

adjust volume knobs accordingly.
Vociferance

Halcyon

Quote by dead-fish
OMGZ! Chuck shuldingr iz teh master conspiraiter!

Quote by jakekilgore666
sean hart i love your avatar
ok he mentioned the ampeg 100w any feedback on that amp. thanks sean for that info i'll log all this down and pass it on
More than a 100w. More like 200 to 300w. Ashdown heads are very good for their price and are 575w highest. The Avatar 410 is also really nice and can handle to 575w.
Against 2 60 watt tube amps, in a dream world you would have around 600 watts. But depending on price, you may not be able to get that. So go for at least 300. Then you'll have a fighting chance if you go through the PA. One of my guitar players just got a Peavey Classic 30, and he was running it around 1.5-2 for practice, and I was getting hard to hear. But as for EQing, thefitz has some insights as to that, and some blogs about it also. All I'll add on that front is that you shouldn't cut around 500hz. That is what gives you a lot of volume.

As for actual companies, just any except Behringer that fits the qualities I mentioned.
does he use distortion? that can make him naturally a little louder, making him able to get by with 100 if he keeps his amp at about 7 and you keep yours at about 4.5
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
he does use some distortion. by the way thanks guys for your insight i'm bass ignorant so all of this is great
no problem man, were all losers with nothing else to do.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
does he use distortion? that can make him naturally a little louder, making him able to get by with 100 if he keeps his amp at about 7 and you keep yours at about 4.5

Turning a bass amp that high is likely to get slight distortion if there is ever a volume spike, and the tone degrades on SS state amps as you begin to push them.

For live situations, a 100W amp is barely going to cut it as a moniter. Now, if the PA system isn't great, the bassist is going to be drowned out by an aggressive drummer with just 100W. 300W is generally regarded as the lower boundry or having a comfortable amount of headroom while live, though as said above, more is always preferable.

And do not really consider getting the lower end Ampegs. They only sell because of the 'classic' reputation of the high end tube heads they sell. Suppose a guitar comparison would be the Marshall MG series. hile not great, there is far better around for the price.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I heard somewhere, as a general rule, the bassist should have twice the wattage of the guitarist. alternatively, You could just have him plug into the PA...
Quote by the humanity

Unless you actually want a volume boost, the level control on a distortion pedal should be set so that there is no change in volume when you switch the pedal on. Also, unless done correctly distortion can also get a bassist completely lost in the mix unless EQ'd correctly.

Jack is right about Ampeg and I would also suggest looking at Ashdowns. I use one and my guitarist is using a 60w all valve combo too.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
i'd say at least 300 watts. He could possibly go less if he buys a really efficient 4x10 or something equivalent. It would probably be cheaper just to get a louder amp though. My first "big" amp was a carvin r600. It was 600 watts and sounded decent.

Quote by mathman51
ok he mentioned the ampeg 100w any feedback on that amp. thanks sean for that info i'll log all this down and pass it on

If its the Ampeg v4bh then it will be loud enough... its all tube and my current amp. Ampeg's solid state 100 watt amps are not going to be enough though.

I suggest getting an amp that has a direct output so that you can run the bass not only through the PA but also the monitors. This will eliminate 99% of your stage volume problems.
im just realizing you said the guitar amps are tube amps at 60w

he couldn't get by with a 100w

i'd recommend a Hartke HA3500. 350 watts, $500
Vociferance

Halcyon

Quote by dead-fish

Quote by jakekilgore666
Quote by IndianRockStar
All I'll add on that front is that you shouldn't cut around 500hz. That is what gives you a lot of volume.

that is why the guitars should cut around there like a said. they'll have a more thrash metal tone as well as make the bass more audible
Vociferance

Halcyon

Quote by dead-fish

Quote by jakekilgore666