i am 16 years old and ive been playing guitar for a little over 5 years and have been stuck with the junky Fender Squier amp i got in my strat pack when i first started. i really need to upgrade to something bigger and better because im looking to start a small local band in my town. currently my main guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. i play mostly modern and hard rock with a little bit of classic rock on the side, and i was wondering what would be a good amp that is under $600.

Some that i found were:
Marshall MG Half stack
Fender FM 2x12
Peavey Classic 30
B-52 AT Series half stack
Vox Valvetronix
Crate Palomino
Valveking
Last edited by AJS19 at May 4, 2008,
hey man, the MG is great bang for your buck, but if you are pretty skilled at guitar, you might as well get a tube amp. the first tube amp i would suggest would be the mesa boogie dual rectifier. this is definitely my favorite amp i have ever played and its used by many people. amazing clean tones and also great distortion. its one of the most versatile amps out there, but if your going for just a straight up heavy distortion tone, get the new kerry king half stack from marshall. its one channel, and its killer distortion. some other good amps are bogner, vht, and some you said. a peavey satch is very nice, i love that thing! but it also depends on your price range and just all around musical interests.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez TS9, Keeley TS9 Baked Mod
Zendrive

LOOOOOK INTOOOOOO THEEEE PICCCTUREEEEEEEEE

Member of UG's Gain Whores - pm gpderek09 to join
alright simply NO TO THE MG HALF STACK
NO NO NO NO NO NO
take a owners advice
if the 2x12 is a frontman than no
that leaves the last 3
i would go for the tube ones so b-52 vs. peavey classic 30
basically i've heard the b-52 called a poor man's mesa with a lot of gain and extremely versatile
so i'd go with the classic 30 ftw, it would totally cover classic rock and hard rock, and most likely modern too
here it comes
the flood of classic 30 ftw
edit: DO NOT LISTEN TO ^^^^ mg's are a HORRIBLE way to spend 600 bucks, the dual rectifier isn't really what he's going for here too btw, classic 30 ftw
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Peavey Classic 30 FTW! Great amp for the price. Well built and all. The rest blow cept for the vox or B-52. Um you dont need a half stack at all. If loudness is an issue go for the classic 50. But you dont need a half stack at all. But you also could look at the classic 50 410. But trust me 50 tube watts is hearing damage already.
Guitar: Ibanez Rg 2ex2/ with Dizmarzio Super Distortion
Amp: Peavey Valveking 212 (replacing soon)
Pedals: Planet Waves Tuner, Boss DS-1, Digitech DF-7, MXR-108 EQ
Quote by acdclandon
alright simply NO TO THE MG HALF STACK
NO NO NO NO NO NO
take a owners advice
if the 2x12 is a frontman than no
that leaves the last 3
i would go for the tube ones so b-52 vs. peavey classic 30
basically i've heard the b-52 called a poor man's mesa with a lot of gain and extremely versatile
so i'd go with the classic 30 ftw, it would totally cover classic rock and hard rock, and most likely modern too
here it comes
the flood of classic 30 ftw
edit: DO NOT LISTEN TO ^^^^ mg's are a HORRIBLE way to spend 600 bucks, the dual rectifier isn't really what he's going for here too btw, classic 30 ftw

whats the problem with your MG? mine is pretty good for its price.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Zendrive

Wow, no offense travd92, but that was about the dumbest post EVER. First you said MG's are good (NO!)
Then you suggested amps that sell for a few thousand just for the head when he has a $600 budget.
MG's are terrible, so is the Fender FM.
The Vox is OK but you really can do better. The B-52 is good but is really a better amp for metal. However it is very versitile annd can do those other genres. The peavey c30, excellent amp, you might need an OD though? But please, don't settle for a cheap halfstack. You don't need it unless you are playing stadiums. A tube combo will be MORE than enough, even a 15 watt one.
Although I am not really a fan, a Valveking might be the best choice. Can do those genres well enough. You should have enough left over for a speaker change, which I heard makes it MUCH better.
Oh forgot about the VK, and i even own it! Yes the VK is a very very flexible amp. It can just do about anything. But i still stand by the classic 30, just because it owns any amp on the list. Also check out the crate palaminos.
haha i really dont see what the problem is with an MG. mine sounds awesome and ive never had trouble with it. and you guys haven't even explained why it would be a bad choice. and yeah bogners and vhts are really expensive. haha but they are also amazing amps.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Zendrive

Quote by mcrfobtai
Wow, no offense travd92, but that was about the dumbest post EVER. First you said MG's are good (NO!)

Who the **** do you think you are to judge him on the sound he likes. Just because his opinion doesn't agree with yours that doesn't mean you have to bash him.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
True man its his tone.....yet the mgs do have satanicly bad tone.
geez i say one thing and you guys just flip a bitch. probably the reason everybody's MG sounds so bad is because they have **** guitars.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Zendrive

Though he was suggesting amps that were a few thousand dollars even though the TS specifically stated (and bolded) that he only had $600.
...Right, about that more then half your tone is from your amp. I mean i can take an 1800 dollar les paul, and play it through a mg and itll still sound like ****. On the other hand i can take a 200 dollar ibanez and play it through your dual recto and itll sound like heaven has opened up.
Quote by travd92
geez i say one thing and you guys just flip a bitch. probably the reason everybody's MG sounds so bad is because they have **** guitars.

Nah, I played a PRS Custom 24 through one and returned it that day. It was my ignorant mistake. It sounded so bad my ears began to bleed. I bought an AD50VT and it sounded so much better! I eventually upgraded to a Mesa Road King. Now that's tone!
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
is there any pedals you would suggest either???...all i got right now is a digitech rp150 pedal...mainly i use just for ****ing around and to record through onto my iBook G4
What kind of modern rock are we talking about here? How much gain do you really need?
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Quote by FLCLcowdude
What kind of modern rock are we talking about here? How much gain do you really need?

not a whole lot of gain...
its not really modern rock maybe more of alternative rock....idk.....im not very good at determining exact styles..
Quote by FLCLcowdude
I eventually upgraded to a Mesa Road King. Now that's tone!
agreed. i'll hopefully be upgrading soon to a mesa. i haven't gotten the chance to play on a road king but i played on the dual rec roadster and loved it. isn't the only difference between a road king and a roadster the amount of watts?
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Zendrive

aw man so much failure from travd92
ts do not get the mg half stack
two words: DO NOT
as for travd92: horrible horrible od, no warmth, just a plain buzzy fizz, cleans are best okay, but still lifeless and dull
and compared to the price the classic 30 would kick its ass
no question
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by AJS19
not a whole lot of gain...
its not really modern rock maybe more of alternative rock....idk.....im not very good at determining exact styles..

It's ok. Just give me some examples of bands you like to play.
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
AJS19

i have an Epi LP and a Squier Strat,

and i bought a Fender FM 212R and it sounds very good, much better than my starter kit amp, but i got mine at a pawn shop for $225, foot pedal and all, and its worth that much, but honestly, i would never pay over $250 and it usuallys costs more than that, its great for $225, but just decent for anything over $300

it does have decent cleans and distortions, so its a good investment for only $225
Turquoise Team Beasts!
Last edited by Xj2252bX at May 4, 2008,
well, thats my opinion. im sorry that everyone else has to be a bitch. but i dont use the overdrive on my amp, i use some pedals. and he said he only had 600 dollars, and for me, thats the best amp for 600. if he had no limit on budget, i would pick hundreds of other amps before i picked the MG, but for 600, its good with me. and just because it doesn't sound good to you, doesn't mean it sounds bad to me. i enjoy playing it.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Zendrive

Quote by AJS19
what about this amp??? Crate V Series V50-112 50W 1x12 Tube Guitar Combo Amp
link: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Crate-V-Series-V50-112-50W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-487054-i1322695.gc

That is a very good amplifier. I would most def recommend that with a Visual Sound Double Trouble or Route 808 Overdrive.
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Im pretty sure, not a hundred percent, that thats just like the palaminos? Anyway if it is its very good, but id stay with the Classic 30 or Palamino.
Quote by FLCLcowdude
It's ok. Just give me some examples of bands you like to play.

red hot chili peppers. like my favorite band
i like Jet.
Nickelback is decent.
OHYEAH! and AC/DC i love jamming to that stuff.
idk pretty much stuff in that general area
Last edited by AJS19 at May 4, 2008,
Quote by AJS19
red hot chili peppers. like my favorite band
i like Jet.
Nickelback is decent.
idk pretty much stuff in that general area

Yeah, than the Classic 30 or the Crate V32 or V50 would be great. Also, get a good overdrive to get some extra umph on those amps.
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Quote by FLCLcowdude
Yeah, than the Classic 30 or the Crate V32 or V50 would be great. Also, get a good overdrive to get some extra umph on those amps.

k overdrive pedals. so the ones you suggested earlier?
is the Boss Overdrive pedal okay?
Quote by AJS19

I would try to steer clear of the Boss OD. The best budget priced OD is the Digitech Bad Monkey. But check this pedal out.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Route808
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Quote by AJS19

Get a Skreddy Screwdriver. My favorite OD I've ever played. Awesome for classic rock tones.

You can order one at www.skreddypedals.com but it takes two months for him to build one.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
guys, stop ripping on travd92, he likes fvcking black metal (nile), which has the tone of an A/B'd MG and a Spider set on fire thru behringer cabs with plastic speakers, recorded with a barbie plastic playset microphone...which explains why the MG is such a great amp for him. i would sure as hell NOT listen to his recommendations for a "warm sounding" "tube amp".
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
are the Boss Overdrive pedals such as the OD-2 or OD-3 good for classic rock and red hot chili peppers, Jet, AC/DC, etc.????
Quote by AJS19
are the Boss Overdrive pedals such as the OD-2 or OD-3 good for classic rock and red hot chili peppers, Jet, AC/DC, etc.????

Boss ODS just sound bad, fizzy, annoying, and overall not full-sounding. Get a Classic 30 for like 400 and spend some cash on a GOOD overdrive.

Cmatmods Signadrive
Fulltone OCD
Homebrew PowerSquealer
Jaques Tubeblower

Google these.
Quote by Highwaytohell
Boss ODS just sound bad, fizzy, annoying, and overall not full-sounding. Get a Classic 30 for like 400 and spend some cash on a GOOD overdrive.

Cmatmods Signadrive
Fulltone OCD
Homebrew PowerSquealer
Jaques Tubeblower

Google these.

i think im gunna get the Crate V Series 50-watt tube combo instead it leaves me more leftover to get a nice overdrive pedal.

plus the amp is regularily $700 something on sale for $400.
Last edited by AJS19 at May 5, 2008,