I'm going to college next year and I am going to buy a laptop to use in my dorm for some gaming and also for all my school related stuff. The specs I am looking for are as follows:

17"
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 @ 2.4GHz
3 GB DDR2 Ram
250GB HDD (preferably 7200rpm, but will most likely settle for 5400)
Windows Vista Home Premium (please no vista hating comments)
256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT (or better)
3 Year Warranty

The closest match I have found to what I want is a dell inspiron 1720. Anybody know of another brand that can even come close to my price range and specifications?
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Making your own laptop usually costs a lot less, and you can get better hardware for the price.
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
Making your own laptop usually costs a lot less, and you can get better hardware for the price.

I could build a desktop easily, but I always thought that those build-your-own laptop kits were pricey and ended up being the same price as a customized one.
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by yurfinlfntsy

But then doesn't he have to put it together?

EDIT: Nevermind, he knows how.
Last edited by KetchupLad14 at May 4, 2008,
Quote by KetchupLad14
But then doesn't he have to put it together?

Also, because I am looking for a 3 year warranty, I don't want to build my own because I would then be accountable for it if it broke.
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
I was talking about using website to build your laptop...you just choose all your hardware...it's the same thing as name-brand, but without the brand.

I bought the same thing Dell charges $5,000 dollars for for only $1300.00...

Plus, usually the sites give warranties on their products, such as product replacement, etc.

I went this way, but if you aren't the most technically savvy, I would just go for the Dell you mentioned.

I don't suggest going to Gateway or HP, as they are usually more expensive, more so than Dell even.
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I was talking about using website to build your laptop...you just choose all your hardware...it's the same thing as name-brand, but without the brand.

I bought the same thing Dell charges $5,000 dollars for for only $1300.00...

Plus, usually the sites give warranties on their products, such as product replacement, etc.

I went this way, but if you aren't the most technically savvy, I would just go for the Dell you mentioned.

I don't suggest going to Gateway or HP, as they are usually more expensive, more so than Dell even.

What's the name of the website?
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by SoccerRM1
What's the name of the website?

Consult Google.

I used some site along the lines of Rocket Computers....I don't know if they still exist.

(I didn't buy the warranty, so I don't really care)

However, I know they exist. I know I may not seem very helpful, but I've given you all the information I possess.
Quote by daytripper75

Those two are pretty close to what I am looking for, but that first one would end up being a bit pricey with an extended warranty and the second one has pretty weak graphics.
Thanks a lot for looking though.
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
Consult Google.

I used some site along the lines of Rocket Computers....I don't know if they still exist.

(I didn't buy the warranty, so I don't really care)

However, I know they exist. I know I may not seem very helpful, but I've given you all the information I possess.

I don't see much a difference between that kind of website and a dell customization site . I couldn't find it, but lemme know if you do.
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Drop the warranty and buy lowest memory option from Dell, and replace it with some from NewEgg or somewhere similar (it's really simple to install the RAM sticks). Then you can bump up the processor, hard drive, or video card as desired.
Last edited by Negative Burn at May 5, 2008,