I've been playing bass now for 5 months on my squire J bass and I'm thinking it's time to get some new strings. Since I'm still kind of new to all this, what kind of strings should I get? And also, I've been saving up to get a new amp my price limit will be around $200 for that, what would be my best bet for that ammout?
woah, either you really look after your strings, or you have the cleanest hands ever!!!

depending on how much you play it's best to change your strings every 2 or 3 months.
i'd say rotosound are the best, but it depends on what you personally think sounds best.

it's just one of the things bass players have to put up with, it's taken me a year to find some strings that sound good with my new amp, and it's cost me a bomb.

rotosound are good and last a good while.
dean markley sound good but don't have much longevity.
one thing i will say, don't touch ernie ball strings, **** sound, and they get dull so quickly.
rotosound is good, ernie ball is also good, just not long lasting
webstrings are supposed to be nice too, but those are sold online only.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
from what I could gather, the prices per set go down as you buy in bulk. And thanks for the imput
TS, you need to try out as many string types as you can until you find the right tone for you.

It's a completely preferential thing.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
My preference is D'Addario XL Nickel Wound, they have a nice bright tone and if tooken care of ( I always wash my hands before I play) I can push 4-5 months out of em. lol though its been longer then that this time around, the guy at GC saw on my account the last time I bought strings and he was just like "Dude! the last time you bought strings was in august, come on" needless to say I was overdue.
Quote by PedRoFTWkiddies
i was just looking at the "webstrings" website.

http://www.webstrings.com/electric_bass_strings_detroit-nickel.html

Are they actually 8.99 for 12 sets?

and by that, does that mean.........

you would get 12 sets of 4 strings in each set?

as in.......... 12 E strings, 12 A, 12 D, and 12 G?

for 8.99?

second question is, are the strings any good?

No, that means you're paying 8.99 for each set as long as you buy 12 or more.

And for strings, like Nutter said it's about what you want. I would personally steer you in the direction of Rotosound or D'Addario.
from my experiance webstrings are the best you can get if you dont want to spend an arm and a leg.

rotosounds are probably the best if you can afford them.

xx
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Ernie Ball strings last a good while IMO, and sound the best tone wise...
Ever Dance with the Devil in The Pale Moonlight?
i just got some ghs boomers, and i gotta say, i'm pretty happy with em. they are very, very bright and almost make up for the crappiness of the squier p bass i put em on.
To be honest, the only real difference I can hear is whether its nickel or steel, and what gauge the are.

Brand makes very little difference to me.

I use Rotosound .35 .55 .70 .90 steel... because they are so nimble and bendy!
Quote by GregBillHill
To be honest, the only real difference I can hear is whether its nickel or steel, and what gauge the are.

Brand makes very little difference to me.

I use Rotosound .35 .55 .70 .90 steel... because they are so nimble and bendy!

I thought I was the only one that went that light a gauge in Rotos! I love them for playing blues and jazz--you're right, they are very easy to bend.

I've tried all sorts of brands and personally I can't stand GHS boomers or any DRs except for black beauties. I used EBs for a year or so, and pretty much have been a Roto fangirl since. I use their roundwounds and flatwounds.

I would love to try Elites, but can't get them stateside