So I go to band practice the other day to figure out my drummer may have botched up this Peavey PR15P we're using for vocal amplification. All of the inputs seem to work fine except when you try to plug a microphone (we got an SM48 and a low end Peavey) into the main input, you get nothing. Funny enough, we plugged a metronome and later a guitar in to see what would happen and they worked fine...

I'm not entirely sure if this is the right place for this, but it's a concern and if anyone could offer help or hell, advice on a replacement , I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
If a guitar worked on it then the problem is probably your mic. As far as a replacement unless your willing to spend a bit of money i'd just go check out guitar center, we all hate to admit it but they do have some great deals on gear. Unless you spend over $100 on a mic there is gonna be little difference in quality.
It looks like you've got a knackered microphone lead there.
You know it's not the amp or the speakers or the leads between the amp and speakers because the signal from a guitar is getting through the whole system OK.
You've tried two microphones and neither of them work through it, so unless for some reason both mics are knackered, this suggest's that the problem lies with the microphone lead. (I'm assuming you used the same lead to test both mics.)
Borrow a couple of mics and leads off someone and test it again, using their leads connected to your mics.
....or.....

The guitar and metronome plug into a 1/4" jack, right? And the mic plugs into an XLR connector, right? Maybe it is the XLR input connector?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Thanks a lot everyone. I got my last exam tomorrow, so after that I'm gonna pick up the speaker and try all your suggestions. I seriously doubt the SM48 is broken because we literally just bought it the day before, but what happened between then and when I showed up for practice is anyone's guess. At this point I'm leaning towards microphone lead, but I'll get back to you all.

Thanks again.
Quote by axemanchris
....or.....

The guitar and metronome plug into a 1/4" jack, right? And the mic plugs into an XLR connector, right? Maybe it is the XLR input connector?

CT

Quote by Mike_Powerhead
Thanks a lot everyone. I got my last exam tomorrow, so after that I'm gonna pick up the speaker and try all your suggestions. I seriously doubt the SM48 is broken because we literally just bought it the day before, but what happened between then and when I showed up for practice is anyone's guess. At this point I'm leaning towards microphone lead, but I'll get back to you all.

Thanks again.

Hey Chris, £10 says it's the mic lead.