I have found that i can bend easier if i hang my thumb over the top of the fret board. It seems like it gives me more strength. My guitar teacher told me to keep my thumb behind the neck but is this ok to do when bending?
There's really no "this or that" rule for thumb placement. Generally, when doing stretches or things like that it's better to keep it behind the neck. When doing bends and vibrato though, I tend to wrap it around the neck.
Quote by Spamwise
There's really no "this or that" rule for thumb placement. Generally, when doing stretches or things like that it's better to keep it behind the neck. When doing bends and vibrato though, I tend to wrap it around the neck.

+1 to Spamwise's comment.
I agree with Spamwise. "Right vs. Wrong" are things that are better left to religion. With guitar it's more like "More Effective vs. Less Effective". I was watching a video of Joe Satriani playing and he was hooking his thumb over the fretboard when bending. Who's going to tell him he's wrong.
do what feels comfortable man... there's no wrong in how you play. Has anyone ever criticised the way that the greats played. Hendrix played with his teeth, jimi page with his fricken dick, ok maybe not, but still... this is a stupid question. Play how you want.
-<$>- sPiNdLe FiNgErS -<$>-
I think that your guitar teacher is just hoping to prepare you for later on when it can be pretty useful to have your thumb on the back while bending.

For example, it's pretty tough to play all four frets (index-pinky) on all six strings around the middle of the neck with your thumb wrapped around the top. If the bends are separate enough from the main parts of the lead, you could switch positions to make the bend, but often they're not.

I'm not sure what kinda music you like to play (or electric vs/ acoustic), but it never hurts to build up strength/speed on light gauge strings. Tuning your guitar down a half-step (like Guns n Roses say) also makes bends easier.
If I did it, this is how I did it.
Okay my teacher taught me to put my thumb where ever I feel comfortable of having it during a certain part.
he
ADVISED me to keep it behind the neck as a sort of support, which makes sense.
But i'm telling you now
try practiing without moving your thumb
eventually you're fingers get stronger and stronger the more you do it.
I just read an article about the dangers of heavy drinking; it scared the shit outta me! So I decided, no more reading!!!