Page 1 of 2
alright, my mom and i have been arguing over something lately. she says that when you make a list you can put a comma before an and. for example:

potatos, cheese, and crackers.

but i'm pretty sure that you're not supposed to put the comma before the and, like so:

potatos, cheese and crackers.

who is right?

and do you have any sources from maybe college websites that prove it?
Quote by Jackintehbox
Pedophilia all the way man. Go for it.

Quote by deathbat831
hahaha i thought you wrote Philidelphia all the way, i was like yeah philidelphias cool i spose

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I'm always too embarrassed to buy condoms. Saran wrap is cheaper, anyway.
I use the comma.

I find that it's better for describing something.

An example: I'm making a list for a birthday party. I need soda, potato chips, macaroni and cheese, and some cups.

Not a very good example, but it makes me feel more comfortable.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
For the example you gave, you wouldn't have a comma, however, if you were listing music groups for example where an 'and' might be part of a name, you would put the comma before the end.

Example,

Bob Dylan, Elliot Smith and, Simon and Garfunkel

Make sense?
it doesn't matter. both are accepted.
Quote by Oligarchy
SGRocker0791 and Raijin.xiii are ass holes in case anyone was wondering.

Quote by jimmyjimjim
try not to be such a dick

Quote by jdotp
thanks to the ignorant prick
It's been disputed for a while because it was never really "written in stone" which one was correct. I personally don't put a comma before and, but I see that about just as much as I see the comma before and. So, basically, do whatever you want.
You should have a comma before and.
Quote by brandonian
you nose started bleeding, so the first thing you do is post it on UG? i don't understand the reasoning behind that one my friend

Quote by unplugtheradio
screw grammar i practice economic typing.
Quote by Weybl Himself
For the example you gave, you wouldn't have a comma, however, if you were listing music groups for example where an 'and' might be part of a name, you would put the comma before the end.

Example,

Bob Dylan, Elliot Smith and, Simon and Garfunkel

Make sense?

at first it didn't. but now it does.
Quote by Jackintehbox
Pedophilia all the way man. Go for it.

Quote by deathbat831
hahaha i thought you wrote Philidelphia all the way, i was like yeah philidelphias cool i spose

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I'm always too embarrassed to buy condoms. Saran wrap is cheaper, anyway.
I do it and i'm always right.

Yes, yes, and yes.

EDIT: it also adds a pause before you finish it because it sounds rather dumb when saying.... eggs, cheese, milk and ham....in which case it would sounds something like "eggs...cheese...milk and ham..."

Basically i'm right.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Last edited by bradulator at May 5, 2008,
I'd do the comma in that situation.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
I like the comma. It extenuates essays.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by clay pots
alright, my mom and i have been arguing over something lately. she says that when you make a list you can put a comma before an and. for example:

but i'm pretty sure that you're not supposed to put the comma before the and, like so:

who is right?

Use the comma, because in this circumstance, you're using it to separate names. Whereas "potatoes, cheese, and crackers" lists three different foods or dishes, "potatoes, cheese and crackers" lists either two or three, because you could have cheese and crackers as either one combined dish or two separate dishes.

If that didn't make sense, use it because it looks better.

PinkEdit: Wait that's not right, if you were to say that without the comma, it would be "potatoes and cheese and crackers". Of course if your list has three or more items, my edit is irrelevant.
Last edited by which ones pink at May 5, 2008,
Quote by clay pots

who is right?

You're wrong.
It doesn't really matter if you do or not.
A comma used in that particular case is called an "Oxford Comma"..
It's also a song by Vampire Weekend, that how I knew what it was..
_________
________
_______
______
_____
____
___
__
_
Quote by clay pots
alright, my mom and i have been arguing over something lately.
Quote by clay pots
who is right?
You white boys are so damned naive.

Always listen to your mama. Never argue with her.

... or she might hafta break her foot off in yo ass.

srsly, use the comma.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Raijin.xiii
it doesn't matter. both are accepted.

This
<Han> I love Hitler
Both are accepted. They're slightly different, though, in a way I can't really put to words.
I'm a communist. Really.
no comma for me.
Quote by DevoidElite
It doesn't really matter if you do or not.
A comma used in that particular case is called an "Oxford Comma"..
It's also a song by Vampire Weekend, that how I knew what it was..
seriously? i was wondering what that ment. wow, it turns out i really dont give a fuck about an oxford comma.
I have no opinion on this matter.
It really depends on the situation, but in your case, the comma should be there, assuming that "cheese and crackers" are two separate things, and not a plastic wrapped snack.

"Potatoes, cheese, and crackers."

There's no hard and fast rule. The extra comma can either cure the ambiguity of the sentence, or it can add ambiguity.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
No, no comma. It's redundant in all but a few cases.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Sorry, but I have not read the thread so far. I am afraid to see how many people think that the comma should be left out. Convention calls for the comma to be present before the "and."
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
Sorry, but I have not read the thread so far. I am afraid to see how many people think that the comma should be left out. Convention calls for the comma to be present before the "and."

Not necessarily.

Maybe in America you're all taught that, but certainly not here.

Look up "serial comma"
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Not necessarily.

Maybe in America you're all taught that, but certainly not here.

Look up "serial comma"
OK ...

http://www.getitwriteonline.com/archive/021201.htm

One of the questions we are asked frequently is whether a comma should go before the conjunction "and" in a series of three or more items. The answer is yes. Although grammar gurus abandoned that comma rule for a while in the twentieth century, we have since realized that using the serial comma (as it is called) is a good idea for two reasons:
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Hooray. Another tr00 Grammar Nazi.

*secret hand-signal*
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
You UKers also say "zed" for Z. You guys own the copyrights to the English language and here you are not following its rules.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
It depends on the situation if leaving the comma out is ok (like with names which could include and, and such). But I use the comma personally
The "potatoes, cheese, and crackers" form totally messes with my mind and makes me annoyed. That extra comma transform it into a meshuggah iff, with all its stopp-startness.

"Potatoes, cheese and crackers" simply look cleaner and better.
Quote by Toolshed#9
The "potatoes, cheese, and crackers" form totally messes with my mind and makes me annoyed. That extra comma transform it into a meshuggah iff, with all its stopp-startness.

"Potatoes, cheese and crackers" simply look cleaner and better.

Yes but that makes it look like cheese and crackers are being called a single item (Which they can be.) But if you want to refer to them as single items a comma is needed.
Quote by abcdboy
It really depends on the situation, but in your case, the comma should be there, assuming that "cheese and crackers" are two separate things, and not a plastic wrapped snack.

"Potatoes, cheese, and crackers."

There's no hard and fast rule. The extra comma can either cure the ambiguity of the sentence, or it can add ambiguity.

This is correct. And everyone knows Canadians speak English the best.

I have no accent, fools!
You're right. You just are, you don't need proof from universities, it's what we were all taught since we were five. But, you CAN put a comma before the "and" but only if you're actually pausing before the list's last item.

But still, it's just a list.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
And no one noticed that he didn't use capitals
Also, spell potatoes correctly.
..is a girl
Quote by RPGoof
WAT
How about just send a ship at the speed up light directly to the sun, and the gravity will pull it towards the sun, thus speeding it over the speed of light.

It's called the Oxford comma, and you place it before and in a list.

It's controversial, because my generation were taught never to put commas before the final conjunction in a list, but there is no fixed rule.

According to wikipedia, it is closer to being acceptable in American English than in British English, despite it's name.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Quote by Colgate Total
I use the comma.

I find that it's better for describing something.

An example: I'm making a list for a birthday party. I need soda, potato chips, macaroni and cheese, and some cups.

Not a very good example, but it makes me feel more comfortable.

but ye i leave the comma out.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Page 1 of 2