So i was doing my usual scale warmups trying to slowly get faster and faster with E natural minor, but i couldnt seem to pick it properly at fast speeds. I put the metronome down to 80 bpm to see what the problem was and i discovered that when i pick three notes on one string, down stroke , upstroke, downstroke, instead of going to the next string with an upstroke, i downstroke instead O.o So now im having to go back and practice everything back at 80 so that i can break this habit =(
Anyone else experienced this?
Is it going to affect building up speed? It seems like it would be easier to play faster if i was alternate picking every note.
Quote by blueriver
Is it going to affect building up speed? It seems like it would be easier to play faster if i was alternate picking every note.

Certainly not. What's easier for you is what comes natural in this case. Economy is technically faster than strict alternate, because there is less wasted motion, but it gives a different sound and feel. And I doubt many would argue that Paul Gilbert is an extremely fast, fluid player, and he always plays with a strict up-down-up-down rhythm.
Economy picking is faster! I am not shamelessly advocating my own technique habits! Go go go!
Quote by which ones pink

BTW, your new sig is awesome.

Oh, I know. I just wish they actually played it...