Hi everyone, I need some advice!

Despite my two years of on again off again playing, i would still class myself as a beginner.

Im heavily into playing John Mayer, Santana and Stevie Ray Vaughan - not that i can pull them off!

I'm quite familiar with the Pentatonic scale (and the "Blues" variant with its extra notes).

Currently im trying to learn Little Wing - the cover version by Stevie Ray Vaughan and Im using these tabs: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/s/stevie_ray_vaughan/little_wing_tab.htm

One goal i would like to reach is to be able to improvise to the style of SRV - what scale does he use? I just feel that the Pentatonic/Blues scale is all i know and yet when i listen to Little Wing i cant seem to pull of solos that sound similar using the Pentatonic scale.

Please help! Im looking for general guidance and direction, stuff about the pentatonic scale that i dont know? (what i know: the notes of the scale, thats pretty much it!) Like timings, structure of riffs etc...
Do you know how to use the pentatonic (and blues) scales all over the fretboard?? or do you just know one shape?

The pentatonic scale is derived from the major scale. it uses 5 notes instead of the 7 in the major scale. the Major pentatonic uses the following notes: 1,2,3,5,6

also: Artists like SRV use a lot of bends in their music. Try it! try bending to another note from the scale.

stuff like timings are not something that can be taught. you must play and find out what sounds good and suits the music.
Last edited by djjiles at May 5, 2008,
Thanks for the reply!

yep, i know the pentatonic scale across the fretboard, from start to where it reaches the next octave up.

ive got bends, hammers and pulloffs down.

any more advice?