Yup, I'm jumping on the pot train that seems to be chugging along today with a question about a volume pot!

My Edwards... it's volume pot stopped moving when I tried to turn it. I toook off the knob and examined it, but I could see nothing wrong immediately, even after taging it out and putting it back in. What could have caused this and how can I fix it? Or am I going to have to just get a replacement 500k pot for my guitar?
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
take it out and pry up the little tabs holding the casing on the back and try to turn it. it may just be wedged under the little tab that stops it at a certain point
I thought I would bump this thread, since I've taken the pot out and I can't find anything keeping it from turning. Are there any other things that could be wrong with it that I could check out before shelling out $5 for a replacement?

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Quote by forsaknazrael
Did you open the pot?
Pull apart the little tabs carefully. See if there's anything inside.

BTW, 5 bucks for a pot? You're getting ripped off.

Could I get a pic for reference so I don't **** up?

And I would be ordering it from Musicians Friend or Carvin probably, if I can't get one locally.

Stupid name.

Get some WD-40 and soak the pot in that for a day. If that doesn't loosen it, nothing will. So then you could ge tthe new pot. Just today I was working on an old Pioneer stereo amp and it has a quadruple-ganged volume pot! It was frozen, so I squirted in some spray-lube (half a can, actually) and it freed right up.
I see some tabs.. but they appear to be holding the big bottom part to the rest of it, and don't look like they're interfering with anything. And I don't know exactly what way to take it apart, so....

I forced it with some pliers xD I'm just moving it back and forth with them to loosen it up. I'll oil it later, and once I get some visual aid for taking it apart, I'll check that out.

Stupid name.

Quote by forsaknazrael
Yeah, those are them, and that's how you do it. Nothing messing with the taper?

Actually, I was just forcing the shaft back and forth, I hadn't taken the pot apart yet. I started to, but I wanted to waiit for confirmation. And forcing the shaft didn't do any good I'll open it up now.

EDIT: Got it open! Now, what exactly will I be looking for? I assume those three little prongs that move across the metal ring are touching that for a reason.... and I don't see anything else that I would consider unusual (although I've never opened a volume pot before xD)

Stupid name.

Last edited by Shinozoku at May 9, 2008,
Just make sure that it's moving across the taper correctly. The taper is that metal ring you mentioned. If there's something blocking it, obviously remove it. If the shaft doesn't want to move at all, that's a mechanical problem. If you can't get it to move, the pot may be done for. Measure the length of the pot's shaft for me, so I can help you pick out the correct one.
A guy I know who works at a local music store is gonna pick me up a Switchcraft pot and I'm gonna go out and get it tomorrow. He's familiar with ESP/Edwards/LTD guitars and said that's what ESP usually uses.

Also, the three little things that move across the ring get caught on the three things that the wires are soldered to, and one of them got bent inwards on itself, which is why I'm just gonna replace it for $1.50. Thanks for the help, though! I now know a little bit more about the electronics and hardware of my instrument

Stupid name.