As the title suggests. I want to get one of these small valve amps, and I keep coming back to the Harley Benton GA15, but was wondering if it was just too loud for playing it in a bedroom/dorm. Would I be able to use it at low volumes, or would that defeat the point of having it in the first place? Bear in mind I'm going to be using it with pedals for the distortion anyway.

Would the 5 watt version be better? And what about these pre-modded versions on ebay? How hard is it to mod the amps yourself? I have some soldering experience, but don't know much about electronics. Is there anywhere that gives a walkthrough or something for modding it? Are the mods worth it?
Depends what speaker is in it. Its pretty damn loud with my 103 sensitivity speaker, if you got something with a smaller sensitivity it would be good for dorm rooms.
Quote by Horlicks
Depends what speaker is in it. Its pretty damn loud with my 103 sensitivity speaker, if you got something with a smaller sensitivity it would be good for dorm rooms.
I don't know who told you a Ragin Cajun was 103dB but it isn't, for two reasons:

1) http://www.eminence.com/guitar_speaker_detail.asp?model=RAGINCAJUN&speaker_size=10&SUB_CAT_ID=4

2) General consensus is that Eminence tend to use a different method and achieve a sensitivity result about 1.5dB above what most other companies (Celestion etc) get from their tests.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I have a 15w Laney and it is extremely loud for my room at uni - i cant crank it past light crunch without a knock on the door - i would perhaps suggest the 5w version. Amp modding is a tricky thing as there are dangerous voltages to deal with. Without the proper equipment you risk frying yourself. Some of these ebay mods can be good, but id say put the extra money to a very very good OD pedal
^ Looks like they've starting measuring all their speakers correctly now actually.
The GA5 is a really great amp for the price, it sounds great even at low volumes. My 15w Laney's just a little too loud sometimes.
Happy, lost and still unaware.
Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe & Epiphone ES-335 "Dot"
Laney VC15 + Ibanez TS808

I Don't Play Metal.
Quote by Horlicks
^ Looks like they've starting measuring all their speakers correctly now actually.
They haven't changed anything....

And I'd get the GA15, to be useful to the OP. It's not just volume issues, the GA15 will sound much more like a traditional tube amp as you would expect, wheras the GA5 is Single-Ended and sounds rather different.
Quote by MrCarrot

And I'd get the GA15, to be useful to the OP. It's not just volume issues, the GA15 will sound much more like a traditional tube amp as you would expect, wheras the GA5 is Single-Ended and sounds rather different.

Yeah they have, when I bought my speaker, everything on that page was rated higher, and the Ragin Cajun was rated at 103.
^ What does that have to do with anything? Also, you probably gonna get warned for spam.
it was funny mind....

check out blackheart amps it your local soundcontrol is lucky enough to still be open. They are cheap and great quality
It's definitely not a picture of somebody in the thread.
Quote by MrCarrot

I was also looking at the Laney VC-15, but I'm guessing this will be too loud. Hmmmmmm... Do they still sound decent at low volumes?
They sound poorer at low volumes than they do at high volumes, but nevertheless preferable to SS at low volumes.
Well when me and my friends jam, my buddy plays a (rented) 15w traynor, for lack of better amp. If he cranks it to 10 (on clean) it starts to drown out the drums.
Quote by MrCarrot

what the hell ?

ts, one of those pre-modded ones on ebay would be my choice.
Last edited by The red Strat. at May 5, 2008,
Quote by The red Strat.
what the hell ?

ts, one of those pre-modded ones on ebay would be my choice.

I take it the premodded ones on ebay are actually worth the extra for the mods, over the stock version? I realise it's cheaper to do them yourself, but for someone without experience in this, would the modded version be a better choice than the standard, considering the extra money (which I can afford, I'm just wondering)

Here are the links for anyone

Cheap one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RAT-HOTROD-EPIPHONE-VALVE-JUNIOR-V3-VJ-JR-AMPLIFIER-AMP_W0QQitemZ350053989632QQihZ022QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

More expensive one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RAT-HOTROD-EPIPHONE-VALVE-JUNIOR-V3-VJ-JR-AMPLIFIER-AMP_W0QQitemZ350054520289QQihZ022QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Last edited by BCFC at May 5, 2008,
Quote by MrCarrot

In case people don't understand the picture, at least my interpretation is: "Cry me a river emoboy.".
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by ninja23
I would say on average 10w is to loud for a dorm room. Correct me if I am wrong but I think typically 10w is half the db level as 100w.

I would try this one out. I think I am getting one for messing around with it outside in the yard. 5w switchable to 3w.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackheart-BH5112-5W-1x12-Little-Giant-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=481675

db is a crazy scale though

blackheart ftw
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Would anyone actually consider the modded epi's? I'm thinking they look like a decent complete package, but are they worth it?
Quote by BCFC
I take it the premodded ones on ebay are actually worth the extra for the mods, over the stock version? I realise it's cheaper to do them yourself, but for someone without experience in this, would the modded version be a better choice than the standard, considering the extra money (which I can afford, I'm just wondering)

Here are the links for anyone

Cheap one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RAT-HOTROD-EPIPHONE-VALVE-JUNIOR-V3-VJ-JR-AMPLIFIER-AMP_W0QQitemZ350053989632QQihZ022QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

More expensive one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RAT-HOTROD-EPIPHONE-VALVE-JUNIOR-V3-VJ-JR-AMPLIFIER-AMP_W0QQitemZ350054520289QQihZ022QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

yes, they are a better choice than the standard

get the 'cheap' one (valve junior), 5 watts will be plenty for your bedroom.
and you don't neccesarily need lots of volume (tube breakup) or an od pedal to get some overdrive at lower volumes because there's a drive control built in.
Nice one. Will probably get one of those then, as it has everything I want in an amp..
Quote by Horlicks
Yeah they have, when I bought my speaker, everything on that page was rated higher, and the Ragin Cajun was rated at 103.

Naw the only eminence guitar speakers to be rated at 103 or more db spl have been the wizard and red fang(with wizard 16 being 103.5). at least for the last year and a half that has been the case(ive checked their page during that period)

also, the db sensitivity doesnt transfer to loudness because its taken as an average of the speaker's sensitivities at different frequencies. what really transfers to loudness is the speaker's sensitivity at the 1.5-6khz range, since thats what the human ear is the most responsive to.
and ragin cajun's dont have the 1.5 khz dip in their response that most speakers do which makes them seem louder.