I recently got a new ibanez prestige 1820x...

Well the sustain is just not there....

I get what 3 seconds of sustain before the note dies out...

Shouldn't i be getting more ?? The pups are v7 and v8 ibanez ones...i've tried cranking the volume and what not...

And i don't get any feed back either...

I mean right now all i have access to is a keyboard amp...so i'm playing on that...maybe that's the issue ??
Quote by blynd_snyper
yes we all need answers to xboys questions hurry up goddam it

Quote by Kankuro
Damn you X-Boy!!!

Founder And Member Of The " I Don't Masturbate Club "

TURNED 18 TODAY !!! (22/02)
Full set up ?

But it's new...

Fine so what i ask the guys at the guitar shop ?? Set it up or somethin ? Yes yes i'm a n00b lol...
Quote by blynd_snyper

Quote by Kankuro
Damn you X-Boy!!!

setup from ibanez or shops aint really that good compared to pro's whom setup guitars for a living!
It'll take a few days. Tell them about the sustain and ask to them set it up. Tell them whether you want low or high action too.

Also, is the Double Edge Pro a new Ibanez trem? Because a lot of the new trems are meant to have crap sustain.
Ah man this sucks....i live in the UAE man....no dedicated guitar people that i know off...

Rounded steel saddle "chip" offers increased sustain and longer string life. Available on all Ibanez Prestige and ... EdgePro-II Double Locking Tremolo ...

That's what the ibanez site says....

Yeah increased sustain Awesome guitar though...just might be the setup issue...will give it in for set up today.
Quote by blynd_snyper

Quote by Kankuro
Damn you X-Boy!!!

1. New strings. How long has it sat on a shelf with the ones that came on it? Did 387 people try it out before you bought it? Old strings lose sustain and tend to throw intonation off pretty bad, first thing I always do when I buy a guitar is put on new strings.

2. Check the neck for backbow and check to see if the pickups are too close. Backbow means the neck should bow slightly away from the strings in the middle, to give it some clearance where the strings' vibrational pattern is widest, in the middle. Sight down the neck from the tuning head, you should see a very slight bow away from the strings. Usually if it does not have enough backbow you will have fret buzz, along with loss of sustain. PIckups set too close to the strings can allow the magnets to exert too much pull on the strings, greatly affecting the vibrations. That can kill sustain too. Usually the guitar will also not sound clean at all, it's overdriving the pickups too so to speak. This can also pull the strings enough to affect intonation.

See if you can find a decent guitar shop that can do a good setup. Just tell them you need it set up, action and intonation, bring new strings or buy some there, I won't touch a setup unless new strings are included. Ask around, some of the local musicians should know who has a reputation for doing good work.

Since you say you're new to all this, the term setup means the technician will or should check and adjust:

Intonation
Neck Relief (backbow, which is a truss rod adjustment, NEVER do this yourself unless you really know what you're doing)
Action (string height)
Nut height
Fret condition (file and recrown if necessary, costs more)
Pickup height
Nut and saddle condition
Tuner condition (a drop of oil sometimes helps)
Tremolo adjustment, if equipped

When I do them I check everything I can, and clean the guitar as well, usually just with a dry cloth. I check pickguard and strap peg screws, squirt some contact cleaner in the switches and pots, make sure all bolts and screws are tight, basically everything that can be adjusted, repaired or tightened is done when I give the guitar back to the owner. Don't expect to find a shop that will do all that, most will just check action and intonation, maybe truss rod and send it out. Being new, yours should only need action, pickup height and intonation set, and new strings, maybe a truss rod adjustment, I'd have to see it to know. Since you say it has no sustain but do not mention string buzz, I'd say it needs new strings and pickup adjustment. But that's without being able to see it myself...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by X-Boy
I recently got a new ibanez prestige 1820x...

Well the sustain is just not there....

I get what 3 seconds of sustain before the note dies out...

Shouldn't i be getting more ?? The pups are v7 and v8 ibanez ones...i've tried cranking the volume and what not...

And i don't get any feed back either...

I mean right now all i have access to is a keyboard amp...so i'm playing on that...maybe that's the issue ??

Yup, there's your problem right there.

You're not going to get a particularly good sound out of an amp that isn't designed to do what you need it to do. What else are you running or is it just the guitar and amp?

You said you were a noob, but surely this isn't your first guitar?

Horlicks - Double Edge Pro is the standard Edge Pro with piezo saddles.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at May 5, 2008,
Ok lol....no no i've been playing the guitar lol...

I'm running the guitar through a keyboard amp cause right now i'm in the UAE...where my dad works...

I'm studying in india...so that is where all my stuff is...my amp and stuff

So right now i have no choice but to use a keyboard amp..hey it's only for practise lol...it doesn't make a difference right now.

Well i took it to the shop and the guy checked it out and told me it was perfectly set up..

And that i can't expect more sustain from a guitar...

I'm running it through a zoom g2 so he asked me to bring that in and that he would program some patches with good sustain.

So basically there is nothing wrong with the guitar.

Oh and i'm the first one to play this guitar...They don't give you the piece that people try the guitar on...you try a guitar and if u like it they bring out a brand new packaged piece and then you can check the guitar to see if anythin is wrong with it...and then you buy it...so no i'm the first one to play on the guitar.

Oh and i meant i'm a n00b with going to guitar shops cause with my old guitars i was always the one to fix everything...learnt quite a bit...but since this is a new guitar i don't want to take a chance
Quote by blynd_snyper

Quote by Kankuro
Damn you X-Boy!!!

Quote by X-Boy
Ok lol....no no i've been playing the guitar lol...

I'm running the guitar through a keyboard amp cause right now i'm in the UAE...where my dad works...

I'm studying in india...so that is where all my stuff is...my amp and stuff

So right now i have no choice but to use a keyboard amp..hey it's only for practise lol...it doesn't make a difference right now.

Well i took it to the shop and the guy checked it out and told me it was perfectly set up..

And that i can't expect more sustain from a guitar...

I'm running it through a zoom g2 so he asked me to bring that in and that he would program some patches with good sustain.

So basically there is nothing wrong with the guitar.

Oh and i'm the first one to play this guitar...They don't give you the piece that people try the guitar on...you try a guitar and if u like it they bring out a brand new packaged piece and then you can check the guitar to see if anythin is wrong with it...and then you buy it...so no i'm the first one to play on the guitar.

Oh and i meant i'm a n00b with going to guitar shops cause with my old guitars i was always the one to fix everything...learnt quite a bit...but since this is a new guitar i don't want to take a chance

keyboard amp... Ill place $25 on it
X-Boy  I had the same problem with my Ibanez 1570,  I changed the pickups to Dimarzio's,  had it set up with my guy who does all 15 of my guitars and it still has NO sustain.  My next step is going to be the tremolo system or at least the block.  It's quite amusing reading the other posts,  I must admit.