Page 1 of 2
hi everyone! i am looking for a new guitar but i dno wich 1 to get i have an epiphone les paul and a squier strat wich are pretty boring guitars cos of there shape im making a ken lawrence explorer but i need a new guitar because of my epiphones damn high action any suggestions

oh yes btw i play mostly metallica stuff
Do you want sound or feel? What is your budget? Preference on trem, shape, neck? Need a bit more info than 'kool'.
You do realize you can adjust the action on your Les Paul... just turn the screws in the bridge.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
If you like the epiphone but just don't like the action then get the action lower, it's a lot less expensive then spending 700 bucks on a new axe.
Feed your mind.
Quote by Raijouta
You do realize you can adjust the action on your Les Paul... just turn the screws in the bridge.

+1 for not being an idiot

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

yeah but the trouble is with my epi is that the tone is amzing for a 250 quid guitar but ya cant lower the action past a point without getting loads of fret fuzz

my budget is about 500 quid or 1000 dollars
Quote by gooooog
yeah but the trouble is with my epi is that the tone is amzing for a 250 quid guitar but ya cant lower the action past a point without getting loads of fret fuzz

my budget is about 500 quid or 1000 dollars

Adjust the truss rod? An Epi is pretty good for the price - perfectly usable. Maybe buy new pickups or a new amp.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by psychedelicscre
get a dean ml mate or esp kurt hammet signature which is amzins

Sure, let's pay 3x what a guitar like that is worth because it has an overrated guitar player's name on it.
i have a fender vibro tube amp and im happy with the pups on it. its just the action on it drives me up the wall especially when i pick up an ibanez and think omg i can never play this fast on my les paul and i put a forum up on heere about the action my les opaul and everyones like take it to a tech. BUT THERE ARE NO DAMN TECHS WERE I LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Quote by gooooog
i have a fender vibro tube amp and im happy with the pups on it. its just the action on it drives me up the wall especially when i pick up an ibanez and think omg i can never play this fast on my les paul and i put a forum up on heere about the action my les opaul and everyones like take it to a tech. BUT THERE ARE NO DAMN TECHS WERE I LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Do it yourself then. Search google for a guide on lowering action.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
youtube.

there's dozens of set-up videos. but you have tune-o-matic right? its kinda intuitive if youre not affraid to toy with things.
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017
I use my thumb and my johnson

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
i iz hurr tuh spek da troof abowt muzik
no i am, when i lower my damn action to its lowest point the high notes like the twelth fret onwards are completes fuzz and i wanna know how to sort that out and have a really low action cos then id be able to play really fast without making mistakes
sounds like you have too much back-bow in your neck, you may need to adjust the truss rod. get a friend whos more experienced than you, or a tech, or a roadie

look down your neck and see if it bows one way or the other
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017

Quote by deanexplosion99
idk what the keys are for but the reason i think its for the floyd rose is because its called floyd rose double locking

Quote by niggafolife
does it need to be totally flat cos bows ever so slightly out at the twelth fret
Quote by psychedelicscre

noo the kirk hammet cheap models are **** if your going to get a floyd make sure its a good one
the lower you want your action the flater your neck has to be. your strings still have to clear bezils so you dont need it pin straight, but flatining your neck a lil i bet would get rid of your fret buzz.

but if you have any friends that are experienced have em eye-ball it/play it and get their opinion. dont mess with the truss rod if your afraid of damageing anything. if you decide to adjust your truss rod once again youtube DIYers friend and dont go more than a 1/8 of a turn at a time.
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017

Quote by deanexplosion99

Quote by niggafolife
above the twelth fret the fuzz is minimal but lower its damn anoying ie i cant play frantic by metallica cos the fret fuzz is too much
You're gonna want to adjust the truss so the neck has a very slight bow to it. Make sure you read a good guide about truss adjusting because you can fudge it up and kill the rod.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
i reckon its sumthing to do with the frets ya know maybe they are too big at the bottom end
Apparently giving you advice doesn't work, unless it's repeated numerous times. And even then, it still doesn't seem to be working.

ADJUST TRUSS ROD.

BTW, your grammar, spelling, and punctuation sucks hairy ****.
Mmmm, coffee

Quote by the_poison125
Fear your ass...

Quote by hazzmatazz
Quote by Våd Hamster
Sharing is caring. *holds out hands*
*inserts penis?*
I'm surprised these people here are even trying to help you.
Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves.
Quote by Surak
I'm surprised these people here are even trying to help you.

its nice to be nice
Why you reading this?
Quote by 742627000017

Quote by deanexplosion99

Quote by niggafolife
Quote by psychedelicscre

Kirk Hammett*
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
i wanna play fast cos thats the music im into, my timing is shocking because of the action of my les paul and basically parrabellum are you an emo or sumthing thats sick of this genrealization and wants to be different?
Last edited by gooooog at May 7, 2008,
Quote by gooooog
i dont wanna play fast cos thats the music im into my timing is shocking because of the action of my les paul and basically parrabellum are you an emo or sumthing thats sick of this genrealization and wants to be different?

Sense: this post doesn't make any.
Quote by gooooog
i wanna play fast cos thats the music im into, my timing is shocking because of the action of my les paul and basically parrabellum are you an emo or sumthing thats sick of this genrealization and wants to be different?

I guess you're talking to me, because my username is the closest to "parrabellum". I don't know why you think I'm an emo or a "sumthing", but I assure you that I'm not sick of "genrealization". If you think I'm emo because I want to be different, I suggest you look up the definition of that word.
Mmmm, coffee

Quote by the_poison125
Fear your ass...

Quote by hazzmatazz
Quote by Våd Hamster
*inserts penis?*
This spelling is killing me!!!
My Gear:

-Ibanez SZ120

-Ibanez AW40ECE Acoustic

-RMS 80Watt Amp

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You can make that in a day. Give blowjobs in your school bathroom for 10 bucks.

That's how I paid the downpayment on my car.
Quote by Parabellum
I guess you're talking to me, because my username is the closest to "parrabellum". I don't know why you think I'm an emo or a "sumthing", but I assure you that I'm not sick of "genrealization". If you think I'm emo because I want to be different, I suggest you look up the definition of that word.

haha parrabellum i apologize for being offensive towards you its true i did not make any sence. are u a metal fan?
here are 2 tips. Stop blaming your guitar for the faults in your playing and listen to the nice people here. ok you're "timing" really shouldn't be that affected by a high action. For that I suggest a metronome.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.
Quote by gooooog
haha parrabellum i apologize for being offensive towards you its true i did not make any sence. are u a metal fan?

Apology accepted. I do like metal.
Mmmm, coffee

Quote by the_poison125
Fear your ass...

Quote by hazzmatazz
Quote by Våd Hamster
*inserts penis?*
Quote by leeb rocks
here are 2 tips. Stop blaming your guitar for the faults in your playing and listen to the nice people here. ok you're "timing" really shouldn't be that affected by a high action. For that I suggest a metronome.

agreed. Although, high action does make it hard to play.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
lower the action as far as you need it then get a new nut because your strings probably dug too deep and a new one will stop the fret buzz
also use thicker gauge string this will cause them to sit higher in the nut and eliminate fret buzz
Page 1 of 2