I searched and this wasn't fully covered in any other topics as far as I saw. My strings keep breaking all the time, primarily the top three (the high ones) when I tune (it was the high E this time). I don't know if it's my technique or something, because I continuously pick the string when tuning. They aren't that high a gauge; i use Ernie Ball Super Slinky's (9,11,16,24,32,42). I use a large collection of tunings, from standard E to drop B, and I change tunings frequently, occasionally a few times every practice session (which ranges from 10 min to 1 hr normally). I also only got these strings last week

Help thanks

edit: I play a strat copy with one of those string thingos at the head that stratocasters have to pull the strings down so they don't slip out of the nut
Have the same strings and style of nut and guitar, never had that problem, i imagine its the strain of tuning that's doing it.
Gear List

Guitars
PRS SE Tremonti
Ltd Mh-100qmnt
Peavey Rotor ex
Crafter Acoustic

Amps
Bugera 333
Bugera 412h

Effects
Marshall Shredmaster
Line 6 MM4
Line 6 DL4
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Dan Electro Fish'n'chips
Ibanez LU-10
Don't continualy pick; pick once then tune it and keep repeating. Try using an electric tuner to get it right and I also reccommend using different guitars for different tunings as no doubt the main problem is the extreme change in tension of the strings, causing them to stretch and get weaker and eventually breaking.
RULE BRITANNIA
i used to have this problem, i switched to a heavy string gauge but it was like a bass at that point. later i discovered it was my picking technique that was the problem and my picks were too heavy. hope that helps
Quote by clincher09
you win

Quote by Vornik
..Are you wearing a pokemon hat?

Quote by Schmietty
+1 for what looks like a Pokemon hat.
It weakens the strings when you tune them to standard, than to a Drop or whatever..
I have two basses each with their own tuning for whatever I'm learning
And a crap load of strings in my closet for this reason ahaha.

My friend when ever he tunes, he picks once, and turns the keys and picks again once the ring stops..
And once he gets to where he thinks it's tuned properly he picks a few more times just to make sure.
And bang, we start jamming...
I just read an article about the dangers of heavy drinking; it scared the shit outta me! So I decided, no more reading!!!
ok thanks for all your help. I think that little thing on the head for the top two strings is a little sharp and I might try and file it down a bit. illl try an electronic tuner too
Where are the strings breaking? Same place every time? If so you have a burr, usually it's the saddles. The things that hold the strings down are called string trees, put there to keep downward pressure on the strings due to the design of the strat style headstock. The larger strings are closer to the nut, that gives them a sharper angle, no string trees needed. That downward pressure keeps the strings from buzzing on the nut. I replaced mine long ago with roller trees, under $10 and well worth it, 10 minutes to swap them. Fold a small piece of 180 grit sandpaper and use the fold to smooth the saddle grooves, same for the string trees. You may have to remove the string trees to effectively debur them. But first find out where the problem is, if the strings are not breaking at the string trees, that's not the problem, no need to "fix" them. Sand lightly, it doesn't take much.

I also recommend different guitars for alternate tuning, but mostly because it makes it a lot less hassle to switch to a different tuning, just pick up another guitar. I retune my acoustic a lot since I only have one, and never break strings. I'm using strings 3 months old now, just got another set so I can replace them but because the old ones are starting to lose intonation and sound quality, not because I'm worried about retuning causing me to break strings. I've used the same strings for over 6 months before and retuned a couple of times a week with no trouble, and sometimes I retune several times in a day.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Usually when strings break alot it's because there aren't enough windings around the tuners. There is a sharp bend where the string goes through the tuner hole, and if there aren't at least a couple turns of string on the tuner the bend weakens and breaks. So basically just put another turn or two of string on when restringing. If the break isn't happening at the tuner it could be a sticking or poorly finished nut or saddle problem.
You will never eliminate string breakage but it can often be reduced by lubricating rough points on your guitar hardware. The lead of a pencil is made from flake graphite a wonderful natural lubricant. Rub a pencil lead on the nut slots & saddle to reduce friction to allow the strings to move more freely over these surfaces without snagging which results in string breakage.

A reason of it breaking again and again is that you play too hard. What happens is that when you hit a string, it bends more at the saddle or bridge than anywhere else. After all, the other end is a long way from your pick. Enough bending and flexing, and the string fatigues and breaks. If you pick really hard right next to the bridge you’ll be more likely to break strings than if you play over the soundhole. It’s a simple matter of how much you bend the string at the saddle when you hit it.

One of the best tips my teacher gave me was to drop the tunning half step back so that you can bend more than you actually do on a standard tuning without breaking the string. I broke at least 3 strings to learn the guitar solo of November Rain by Guns N Roses then I found out that it really is played on drop tunning and the moment I changed my tunning I’m really glad that I never broke a string since.

Source : iGuitarWorld