Hey, I was looking for some bass distortion, and I tried a Boss bass distortion which sounded awesome, but did create a lot of noise, a Behringer one which sounded crap (and was, ofcourse, even noisier) and some variation on the Big Muff which didn't do much for me.

What distortion pedals are worth the money & effort? I have a clip of distortion I got out of my POD and the quality really sucks (of both my old bass and the pod and the recording) but you should get the idea.

http://www.megaupload.com/nl/?d=9D05GBZ3 . It's only 173kb so bear with me.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
I have a Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi (american version) and its' pretty damn good for my bass, it gets the muse tone and even stuff like Cliff from Metallica n whatnot. Expensive though. Not sure about the BOSS ones.
sincewhen??

Quote by Mannypedraza
Today, me and my gf went to the movies. During, i put my hand down her shorts.
I keep smelling my hand as of now....anything wrong with me?
teh pronz
Quote by sincewhen??
I have a Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi (american version) and its' pretty damn good for my bass, it gets the muse tone and even stuff like Cliff from Metallica n whatnot. Expensive though. Not sure about the BOSS ones.

That's a fuzz, not a distortion. And there are much better BASS fuzz pedals out there that don't force you to sacrifice your low end.

TS, look in the FAQ. There's a guide to various distortions in there on the effects page.

There's also sound clips on them all.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
The boss bass overdrive is a wicked pedal, I owned it for a little over a year before switching to an effects unit. It's got a wide tonal range, it's really aggressive, and it has a direct signal mix which is very handy. I found it to be the best all-round bass distortion/overdrive pedal I've ever tried, and it can even get fuzz sounds if you fiddle with eq settings. Sounds mean with a pick too.
Fulltone Bass Drive every time. Expensive, but it will be the only overdrive/distortion you will ever need. It doesn't distort to fuzz levels, but it has a very smooth overdrive, that is best described as "your clean tone pissed off". Then it has the boost channel which you switch to for a thicker distortion, but still stays smooth and natural, with a very tube-like distortion.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
If you are a serious user of Distortion, then yes go for the Fulltone Bass Drive. If not, the Boss does well for the price, though it takes a bit of fiddling to get set up right.

See if you can try out both, and then decide based on usage and preference whether you want to shell out the extra 100USD for the Fulltone.
Fulltone is well worth it though, I used a Boss ODB-3, then an EHX Big Muff and then a Boss DS-1 (don't even ask ) before I tried out a Fulltone and I never realised just the extent of suckiness my distorted tone reeked.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!