lately i've been dabbling in 3 finger picking and it's having a slight impact on my 2 finger playing, i was just wondering, is it really worth pretty much learning to pick again or should i just stick with 2 fingers?
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I HAVE to wear my kilt every Thursday...

I'm not sure why, though.

Me too!
We should start a support group.
Quote by bass dude nick
lately i've been dabbling in 3 finger picking and it's having a slight impact on my 2 finger playing, i was just wondering, is it really worth pretty much learning to pick again or should i just stick with 2 fingers?

Are you going to use three finger playing much?

If so, by all means, I'd suggest going for it. Eventually you'll get good, and then the two finger playing will come back.

If you aren't, then does it really matter?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I found that in the end learning to pluck with three fingers really payed off for me, but if it's uncomfortable or doesn't suit the style you play then why bother?

If you do decide to use three one of the most important things in regards to practicing is to make sure you can play straight sixteenths without a slight pause every third note as you return back to your third finger after plucking with your fourth (if you use 3 2 1 3 2 1 technique).
I'm still in that phase of changing style every so often so i just want to learn as many techniques as i can so i can be as good as possible at whatever style i choose in the end
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I HAVE to wear my kilt every Thursday...

I'm not sure why, though.

Me too!
We should start a support group.
I'm trying to get the hang of three fingers cause I don't like using a pick, but its really quite difficult.

Practise with three fingers and two fingers, split your time equally, so you can do both until you've fully mastered them both.
I spent a year or two getting all three fingers working (check out Billy Sheehans Advanced Bass if you havnt), but in the end I dont use all three as much as I thought I would. I play with shred metallers, everyone is going 240+bmp, but i mainly use it for quick triplets or descending patterns. Its not that its not as fast or clean, but I felt I could get better tone with just two fingers - with three I felt I didnt have as much projection or bottom end, it was like my strings didnt have time to "reset" before another finger hit them.

As Mr.Sheehan says in his video, do it if it feels comfortable and you really think you'll use it. But if your spending hours a day mastering it *just* for the speed, dont worry about it, because it's possible to go just as fast with two fingers and proper speed technique (look up Bunny Brunel on YouTube)
If you can, I'd recommend working on both (or all three including pick) techniques and find which one works best for you. Becoming versatile can have pay offs - in 8 years or less everyone could be all about shredding again.
I use pretty much every technique at some time - even one finger plucking - and use whatever I feel suits the song. It took a few years before I was comfortable enough to do that.
Having the three finger technique down for smooth eighths gives me more stamina for live gigs than two fingering all night.
I use one finger.

I've never needed to use more. I can though. learn as many fingers as you can.
four. five. any amount!
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
If you want to get good at three-finger playing, you'll really have to work at it.

I tried to learn how to play with three fingers, but I got bored and just continued playing with two. I should really try again soon...
The.
im trying the 3213 2132 1321 technique... Its a pain in the ass and takes long hours of practing though but in the end its gonna be worth all the effort. I wouldn't use this technique unless you are really into fast metalish stuff... I mean by all means its a good technique to learn but it wouldn't be of much use for other stuff because two fingers is pretty much plenty for other genres with some exceptions.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Last edited by AmpleSteak at May 5, 2008,
i play with two, but i want to learn to do three.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
I switch in between 2 and 3......For triplets feel type stuff I used 3 then for everything else I use two and I'll throw in the third finger if it gets really fast or I just feel like playing three...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I actually learned using 3...if the thumb counts. I can use all 5, but 3 is all I ever need. I can't play my band's stuff with 2, though.
Nope, no sig here.
For everyone that plays with 3 fingers, when you play how much work does the third finger (ring finger) do compared to the index and middle? I'm just wondering because I play primarily with 2 fingers but it's not uncommon for me to use my ring finger a bit when i'm playing some pretty fast lines where I have to quickly ascend and descend up and down all four strings. It's pretty natural and I don't have to force myself to do it but my playing is still fairly dominated by 2 fingers. So I was wondering if I would be classified as a 3 finger player or is the picking action supposed to be more evenly distributed between all 3 fingers?

Kind of weird because I never practiced to play with 3 fingers. Would be cool if it's just natural to me, but I've always been reluctant to say I play with 3 fingers because my ring finger doesn't really touch any string that's not a D or G string.

EDIT: I just tried galloping with 3 fingers and it's a little rough so to answer my own question, I guess I'd still classify myself as a 2 finger player.
No one knows what it's like... to be a dustbin... in Shaftesbury... with hooligans...
Last edited by Child Of Maiden at May 6, 2008,
Well, i don't think it's weird if it comes natural to you since those three fingers naturally go one after the other, Now, playing consitantly with three fingers is a bit hard for me. And i usually use 3 fingers for triplets.
For everyone that plays with 3 fingers, when you play how much work does the third finger (ring finger) do compared to the index and middle?

Depends on the situation. Long rehearsals or gigs, I like to distribute the work evenly. Either go steady 3 fingers or alternate which 2 fingers work. I use my third finger a lot - especially for artificial harmonics. It took a lot of woodshedding to get to that point.

So I was wondering if I would be classified as a 3 finger player or is the picking action supposed to be more evenly distributed between all 3 fingers?

I wouldn't worry about it. Just say you're a finger style player.
3 fingers is good.

With 3 fingers you can basically forget your right hand, and concentrate on the left, and everything just grooves hehe.
I just started playing with three fingers a couple of months ago. I try to always use all 3 but sometimes I slide back into 2 fingers if i dont think about it. It improves your speed alot! I play dream theater kind of stuff and all runs are "so easy" with three fingers.
Conklin GTBD-7
Digitech JamMan
Guitar Rig Mobile
Korg AX10B
Three fingers is really hard to get a solid hang of, Most of the time I only use it for triplets or I do an odd 3 2 1 1 pattern to get 16th or 32nd notes, it works pretty well actually, but I feel like I don't have good control over it because I can't slow it down very well.
I usually use 2 (or a pick) but i'll use my third to jump of a string real quick
I have a pretty screwed up technique. Some times I find myself using one, two, three fingers and my thumb too. On a lot of songs I use one finger and my thumb, not a slap-pop, just playing normal.
Fender Geddy Lee, Precision (MIA), Fender Standard Jazz, Ibanez SR700, GK MB210 combo, GK 210MBE