I'm slightly confused about this topic. I need tp get some pots for my guitar for a set of new pickups I'm getting in a few days and I also need to get a couple 250K push/pull pots for the volume controls on my amp. But a couple of the websites i went to have two different sections, "Guitar pots" & "Amp pots".

Is there a difference between pots used in amps as opposed to guitars or are they the same things?

Also, what's the difference between an audio taper and a linear taper? I read an explanation on a google search but I need an example. Like, what setting on an amplifier would use a linear taper?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Guitar:
Dean Vendetta 3 - Dave Mustaine Livewires

Amplifier
Carvin X100B - Bias Mod - Tungsol 12AX7's - JJ KT77's

I have built the most badass 212 that puts all others to shame
Yes, I believe they use different pots. I don't really know anything about pots tho.

Linear taper means that it's just a normal pot, at 1 it's 1 and at 2 it's 2 etc. But audio taper means it's been calibrated so, that for example on a volume pot on an amp, it increases more evenly. If you use a linear taper pot on amp volume, it gets a lot louder quickly, and after like 4 it doesn't really get any louder. An audio taper pot has been set up so that the volume increases evenly (I think it has something to do with dB being a logaritchmic unit).
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Great explanation.

So is there anywhere on a guitar or amp that would use a linear taper?

I still need someone that knows whether a pot for an amp is different from a guitar pot.
Guitar:

Amplifier

Why not just get a guitar pot? I would pick an audio taper for the volume control. Audio or linear would probably be fine for the tone control, with audio as a first preference.
Quote by MeanwiththeDean
So is there anywhere on a guitar or amp that would use a linear taper?

I still need someone that knows whether a pot for an amp is different from a guitar pot.
A amp most likely uses audio taper for volume. I'm not really sure about other controls, but my suspicion is that you would use linear taper for wet/dry mix for fx loops or reverb/chorus.
Quote by fly135
Why not just get a guitar pot? I would pick an audio taper for the volume control. Audio or linear would probably be fine for the tone control, with audio as a first preference.

I am getting guitar pots for my guitar. But I need three 250K push/pull pots for my amp and they aren't found under the "amplifier pots" on any website. They are always under the "guitar pots" so I'm just curious if that pot could be used for the amp as well.
Guitar:

Amplifier

What function on the amp are you fixing? If you can unsolder the pots and measure them with a multimeter then you can know for sure. It's possible that you can try measuring with them in the circuit. It should be obvious if they are linear or not.