Haha sorry I couldn't resist. Anyways... Right now I'm learning to play guitar, have been playing for a little while but I'm still not that good and I'm doing this more as a hobby than anything else but i do plan on continuing to play for a long time.

Currently I'm using a Fender Telecaster and a Crate GX-15 amp.

I've got $500-700 or so for a budget, so something like a Schecter Hellraiser isn't completely out of the question, it would just be a stretch. I've never played one yet so I haven't been able to tell if I'm going to like it or not... I'm just concerned about the neck is all because I've been using a really thin neck from this telecaster and it has very low action. Makes playing really easy.

Basically I am looking to get a new guitar (and possibly amp if i need to?) so that way I can continue my playing and actually have it sound better for what I play. Mostly heavier rock. Bullet for my valentine, metallica, megadeath, plus other metal music mainly is what I prefer to play, although I'm not exactly good enough to play a lot of that stuff yet.

Do you guys think it'd be worth getting a new guitar/amp combo so I can have a better all around sound or should I just upgrade the guitar and keep using the same amp I've got. I just play at home and I don't usually like to be very loud when I do it so I'm not sure if thats something to consider in this either.

Also guitar/amp suggestions always appreciated
I think you should either buy a great guitar or a great amp now and then save up for the other, instead of getting two mediocre pieces of gear.

For guitar a Schecter sounds good, ESP and Jackson are favourites too.

For amp, there is Peavey 5150/6505, Bugera 6262.
I agree with Horlicks. It's probably best to buy one or the other with the money you have. A Tele is a decent guitar, though it's not great for metal.
sup?
Quote by Horlicks
I think you should either buy a great guitar or a great amp now and then save up for the other, instead of getting two mediocre pieces of gear.

Here's my question guys. Based on about a $700 budget(give or take), do you think it's possible to get a guitar that is average to good quality, with maybe slightly less quality pickups that I can upgrade later and also an amp that will work good for a home setting (not needing it for gigs or anything I just want a good sound for the kinda music I play)

I totally get the whole not wanting 2 peices of gear that wont benefit me later, which is why I want to be able to upgrade the guitar to make it sound really good later on, with a little work perhaps without having to spend so much on the guitar at first. I'm not really familiar with how expensive PUPs are.

Just tossing this idea out for you guys since you know a lot more than I do and I want my first set of gear that i own to not be a waste.
Well if you got a high gain tube amp, that would sound great until you had enough for a new guitar. As long at the Tele is easy to play it should be fgreat
+1 Horlicks

the amp you choose will far out-weight any pick ups for now. you can do that later and they run anywhere from $50 - $150 depending what you get but most standard Seymour Duncan or Dimarzio pups are about $100 bucks. if you're not sure how to solder then throw in another $30 or $40 for a guitar shop or friend to do it.

;
Ah i didn't know it required soldering to put them in, but actually i know an amazing solderer that lives with me He does electronics work all the time.

Well the biggest thing that I'm curious about then is my guitar. Here's the style Fender I have(just a lot older, I think my dad bought this guitar before I was born so at least 21+ years)...
This is just a pic off google i found, i'll put the link to a pic of mine below as it doesn't fit very well in a thread.

As you can see it's the standard. I didn't think this guitar had the capabilities to sound really good with the music I want to play, but maybe it is just my amp? I mean I don't really mind using my Dad's guitar a while longer... it's his telecaster, but I don't know if I'd ever want to modify something on it because it is his. So eventually I do need to get a new guitar, but if you guys think that a new amp will make me sound awesome with the kinda music I like to play... then maybe i'll just have to wait to get a new badass guitar, and get a new amp instead

Here's a pic of mine:
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j118/silentexodus04/Guitar.jpg
Ok well then what amps would you guys suggest I buy? I want an amp that will be good for home use(doesn't need to be able to get that loud). Now that you guys know what guitar I use, and that I like to play music like Killswitch Engage, Metallica, Bullet for my valentine, demon hunter, lamb of god, Trivium, **** like that.... what amp do you guys recommend?

I might have to talk to my dad again too because I know he's got an old Les Paul that might work a lot better for the kinda music I want to play, but i remember it was harder to play because of the action last time I tried. The other problem is he is 550 miles away from me so the trip to get it really sucks lol.
Esp's are heaven but are pretty costy. If you don't care about tremelo bars, get an LTD
Quote by Exodus04
Ah i didn't know it required soldering to put them in, but actually i know an amazing solderer that lives with me He does electronics work all the time.

Well the biggest thing that I'm curious about then is my guitar. Here's the style Fender I have(just a lot older, I think my dad bought this guitar before I was born so at least 21+ years)...
This is just a pic off google i found, i'll put the link to a pic of mine below as it doesn't fit very well in a thread.

As you can see it's the standard. I didn't think this guitar had the capabilities to sound really good with the music I want to play, but maybe it is just my amp? I mean I don't really mind using my Dad's guitar a while longer... it's his telecaster, but I don't know if I'd ever want to modify something on it because it is his. So eventually I do need to get a new guitar, but if you guys think that a new amp will make me sound awesome with the kinda music I like to play... then maybe i'll just have to wait to get a new badass guitar, and get a new amp instead

Here's a pic of mine:
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j118/silentexodus04/Guitar.jpg

Wow dude! I saw your actual guitar too in photobucket. this is only my opinion but,
DO NOT MOD this guitar. hang on to it forever and treat as if it were your only child. that guitar will be worth a fortune some day.

actually, if it is a good pick up swap it COULD increase value if you make wise decisions. and if you never plan on selling it, i guess it would be OK so i'm now retracting what i said above.

i like my amp (in sig) and it was only $409 that can probably handle most of what you play with a good OD pedal but there are other good amps out there too. i think Horlicks had a good suggestion too.

be patient, we'll come back and help some more but right now i'm working on a small project (see sig).

;
What do you guys think about a lower wattage amp though. I don't need one thats going to blow me out of my room haha. I seriously think 50W is excessive for my needs. I would love to find a cheaper amp that has less output but still has a nice sound for the kind of music I play. I wont be playing this amp very loud.

Plus, the less I have to spend on power for the amp while still getting a good tone/sound, the more I have to spend on getting a new guitar that I still want

Can you guys give me suggestions on a good amp that's like 15-30W that will give me nice sounds for playing the music that I said above?
Quote by Exodus04
What do you guys think about a lower wattage amp though. I don't need one thats going to blow me out of my room haha. I seriously think 50W is excessive for my needs. I would love to find a cheaper amp that has less output but still has a nice sound for the kind of music I play. I wont be playing this amp very loud.

Plus, the less I have to spend on power for the amp while still getting a good tone/sound, the more I have to spend on getting a new guitar that I still want

Can you guys give me suggestions on a good amp that's like 15-30W that will give me nice sounds for playing the music that I said above?

Ive heard good things about the black heart and the epi valve jr. They are only 5 watts but still sound very nice for the price.
Quote by GeneralGrim
So we had a music battle, copying what each other did and upping the ante and whatnot. After awhile of going nowhere, I said to the pianist "let's see you do this, asshole" played a single note... and bent it up a step. And left.
Well, it's too bad that you bought a Telecaster with that kind of music in mind, because Teles are fine guitars, but not for metal or hard rock for that matter. It's hard to say what to do, your amp SHOULD be your first priority, considering you already have a quality guitar (assuming it's not a Squier). I'd look into a Vox AD30VT if you aren't going to be playing much outside your room/jamming with friends, and then use the remaining money to buy an Ibanez RG321, my friend owns one and it feels and sounds incredible.

Vox AD30VT ($249.99): http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD30VT-30W-Guitar-Combo?sku=481959
Ibanez RG321 ($279.99): http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG321-Electric-Guitar?sku=512492

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
Last edited by Mike1109 at May 5, 2008,
^Mike, he didn't buy the Tele. His dad gave it to him. It was purchased over 21 years ago.

Somewhat of a confusing thread tho granted.

I think he is now trying to figure out what to do next and learn how to play.

Exodus - focus on the amp, practice practice and then get a SECOND guitar later. in my opinion.

;
Ok... so I went to Guitar Center and tried out the Hellraiser and the valve king 112 and 212. and wow those are some awesome peices of hardware. I really liked the kinda sound i got out of the guitar and amp combo.

I kind of wish i never went to play the Schecter now though because after feeling the wider neck it really opened up my eyes. It was so much easier to play now that i have better flexibility... because I have pretty fat fingers and I always get bunched up on the damn Fender because of it's skinny neck. I was playing things on the Hellraiser that gave me trouble on the fender. It just felt good. I left without buying though because I knew i'd be clouded by the awesomeness Plus it was way over what I wanted to budget at about $1100 before tax without any kind of mark downs or haggles for the display models.

Oh and I really don't like my amp anymore after hearing the valveking. I can see what everyone means about the differences between a good amp sound and a ****ty amp sound. I will most likely at least go and buy the Hellraiser tomorrow after I try out some alternatives when I go next. I am probably going to spend the money for the valveking 112 unless you guys have any suggestions. My friend thinks that the valveking is too much power, but my other buddy who actually plays in a band says ya but what happens if you ever play with a drummer and you actually need to be heard.

Honestly I'm almost leaning with just needing to spend the money. If you guys have any last words or suggestions you'll probably need to tell me soon

Oh one thing I wanted to know was when i do end up buying this stuff should I try and get any kind of special deals with it? Like reducing cost because i'm buying a set amp and guitar or reducing price because they're wall models, and if i buy a guitar will it come set up through Guitar Center or will they try and screw me or somethin lol. I only ask this stuff because I've never bought one before myself :P
awesome Exodus - you did the right thing tonight. perfect.

everyone needs to follow what he just did, if you are at new at this (and i am not expert) but try before you buy. man, that was refreshing to here someone do what you just did.

so yes on talking down when purchased together. prolly 10% maybe 20%.

oh, and there are other amps out there so keep listening to other suggestions. now we need to understand something as maybe i got confused. did you say your budget is still $500 - $700 right? and the Schecter was $1100?

so you can get the VK for $400 right leaving with $300? do you plan to spend that $300 now on whatever you can find that you like? or were you going to sell the Tele? or were you going to use Tele now and save up for better guitar or what?

you prolly know better as i'm sure you have checked but my guess is that Tele is worth $1500. i don't know, maybe not that much but i hate to see you get rid of it if your dad gave it to you. what does he think? what condition is it in?

also - 'most' of the guitars on wall are set up already and they usually put out everything they have so there are two trains of thought on this and there was a recent thread the other night but i can't remember the name of it.

1.) wall units might have a ding or scratch on it but you can use that to leverage $ down. they are usually already set up. you can play first - and make sure you like it before you buy.

2.) brand new guitar may have to be ordered. may not get set up all unless you get them to do it (depends). harder to try before buy cause your excited, they are taking time to set up, and then you may not know for sure for several days after you get home. obvioulsy you can take it back. much harder to talk down $.

dude you are trackin - i'm going to bed soon as i am extremely tired but i'll check back and there will others that will chime in with different opinions.

;
OK well here's one other question I've been wanting to know - so this Fender Telecaster I got.... can it actually sound ok for the music I want to play(trivium, metallica, killswitch engage, lamb of god, etc) if i get say that ValveKing 112? Just remember my tele is the oldschool standard kind without humbuckers.

If my guitar will sound okay using a nice amp for the music I play I think I can live with holding off on a new guitar for a little while longer and just get a new amp.

Oh and I don't plan on selling my guitar, I wouldn't sell something that's been around this long plus it's my dads. But i remember this guitar as a kid so ya it's not getting sold
Last edited by Exodus04 at May 6, 2008,
uuuummm, i would say maybe not so much. but then again John 5 sounds killer but i don't know his config.

get the amp and worry about guitar later. you're not going to get that much off by combining unless you maybe buddy up to GC dude and promise that you will buy guitar from him or something and then save a little more to stretch your $300 guitar budget a bit so you can get something you will really like.

also - go over to fender.com and find Support tab i think and then Guitar dating or instrument dating to try to figure out exact age of Tele.

I see some 1986 teles that are close to yours on ebay for about $1,000 but i would take your dad's advice on what to do with it. he may want you to keep it. + that tele is only going to increase in value at this point if in good condition vs going down in value.

i have my dad's yamaha acoustic and i would never sell it.

;