I've been writing a song in the Key of C major, with the following progression.
C, D#, A, A#. I really love the sound of it, very errie, this is used for the verses.
I realize that A minor is C majors relative minor.
But seeing as the chords I am playing during the verse are powerchords, I thought for the chorus, perhaps I could use A's relative minor of G minor and modulate into that.
It sounds good, but is my theory incorrect here?
Quote by FreedomFighter
I've been writing a song in the Key of C major, with the following progression.
C, D#, A, A#. I really love the sound of it, very errie, this is used for the verses.
I realize that A minor is C majors relative minor.
But seeing as the chords I am playing during the verse are powerchords, I thought for the chorus, perhaps I could use A's relative minor of G minor and modulate into that.
It sounds good, but is my theory incorrect here?

-That's not C major, you can tell from the sharp and flat and also that progression should be typed C D# A Bb.

Albeit powerchords aren't chords since they lack the minimun requirement of three notes, but otherwise it's a nice progression.

Edit: I believe A majors relative minor is F#.
You are currently reading my sig.

"Ah yeah, ah yeah, ah, ah, ah. Ah yeah, ah yeah, ah, ah, ah." - Robert Plant
Last edited by Der Bomber at May 5, 2008,
ill shut up now i dont even know

WAIT is it C dorian??

EDIT i think im right!
Quote by skywayavenue
wait
i thought theres no sharps in c major
how could that progression be in c major????

it aint.
looks to me like C dorian

which is minor so itd be cool to move to Eb which is C minors relative major
Quote by Martindecorum
the theory will be fine, ull find in music thats its good to stick to theory and then there is time to variate from the theory itself, as human ears like hearing new things

No music "sticks to" or "variates" from theory; it's a descriptive tool that can be applied to all music.

TS: If you write it as C, Eb, A, Bb that makes more sense. That progression would suggest Bb major or G minor depending on your tonal center.

And C Dorian is not the same thing as C minor, Grouch; it's based off of Bb major or G minor as I explained above.
Like I said, for the verses it's gonna be eerie. Almost "Exit Music" by Radiohead, meets Nine Inch Nails Fragile era.
So, either for the chorus, I go bombastic and majory. Or I keep it minor.
It's about the theme of escape.

Chorus
Escape from this place,
Dive deep and don’t return,
Escape from this wasteland,
We can't run forever,

Any recommendations on what key I could change too to make it either more majory or minor?
Quote by :-D
No music "sticks to" or "variates" from theory; it's a descriptive tool that can be applied to all music.

TS: If you write it as C, Eb, A, Bb that makes more sense. That progression would suggest Bb major or G minor depending on your tonal center.

And C Dorian is not the same thing as C minor, Grouch; it's based off of Bb major or G minor as I explained above.

Ohhhhhh yeah i get it, sorry i wasnt thinking straight then.

Ok TS if you want it to stay minory maybe have the chorus in G minor. If you want it to change to major for the chorus, try Bb major. Or maybe you could switch modes?

i hope this theory malarky all fits in to place for me for uni
Grouch filled my thread with his random musings about my post, didn't really make much of a contribution, other than to make it more difficult to identify posts that are worth listening.