I need a cheap and cheerful mic for vocals.

I only have £30 to spend on it, so could anyone recommend me any good ones?

Ian
Are you American, if so I don't know any shops that you can look at. But I can suggest Thomann as being an excellent place for Europian purchases. There is so much to choose from and whatever your budget, you'll be able to find something that suits your criteria. Seinheiser have designed cheap and cheerful mics for vocals with decent dynamic ranges. I wouldn't suggest Behringer, I don't trust them. Try out t-bone mics as well - the t-bone MB-85 Beta. Basically just a cheaper version of the classic, Sm 58.
Ian's clearly British: 1) the name (though I share it) and 2) the pound symbol. Based on experience, I'd also save for a SM58, since it can really brighten your sound.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Is Ian a British name?

But yeah i am from England

And yeah, i'm going to save up for the sm58 i think.

But what's the difference between the sm58 and sm57? Are they similar?
Very similar. The Sm58 has a windscreen so it's better for vocalists, and doesn't capture as much distracting low-end. It's been used for the Clash for London Calling, so it's a reliable choice.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at May 5, 2008,
Save up for the SM58, not the 57. Theres not a huge difference between the two but the 58 has a wider dynamic range, therefore it picks up different frequencies better. Which is what you need for vocals since there are so many different variations in the pitch of your voice, particularly when you are on stage.
^ It's really not true. They are essentially the same mic, apart from the fact that the 58 has the built in windscreen and the ball shield to protect and stop the vocalist getting too close.

For the lower price, I would get the 57 if it's only for studio use. Michael Jackson's vocals on Thriller were recorded using a 57, so....
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by fridge_raider
^ It's really not true. They are essentially the same mic, apart from the fact that the 58 has the built in windscreen and the ball shield to protect and stop the vocalist getting too close.

For the lower price, I would get the 57 if it's only for studio use. Michael Jackson's vocals on Thriller were recorded using a 57, so....

Who's not true? If your referring to me, I said the same thing as you did. Except you think its better to buy a 57. Which is not exactly worthy an argument!
Why was my argument not worthy?

And I simply meant it's not true in the sense that the 57 and 58 are essential almost the same mic. To be fair, you did say there wasn't a huge difference.
No mate I didn't mean your argument wasn't worthy, I didn't mean that at all. I meant, its not something we need too argue over, theres so little to define between the two thats its just pointless and I'm tired. Its just a phrase I used thats all. I said theres not a huge difference between the two. Sorry if I came across as being pig-headed.
The dynamic range of the 57 and 58 is identical. The only differences are the external variations such as the windscreen, and the location of the upper-midrange hump is a tad further towards the treble end on the 58 resulting in a more pleasant vocal sound than the 3-5khz bump in the 57 which suits instruments better.
Really? I'm still struggling, even having reverted to my perverted 13 year old mindset lol.
Quote by MrPillow
The only differences are the external variations ..... the upper-midrange hump is ... a more pleasant vocal sound ...

Perhaps that helps =P
Hehe, I thought that was it, but the ball on the end of the 58 wouldn't feel to great... a bit big..and the 57's end is a bit spiky. Still, if that's what you're into...