When I am trying to learn a song on the guitar, it seems almost like a job more than a hobby, but when I am writing my own stuff, not only is it much more fun but I can actually play faster on my own material and solos?
Kind of, though learning a song doesn't seem like a job to me, I find it quite fun as well.
sup?
::sings::

"Woke up this mornin, with a wine glass in my hand............ Dooooo yoooou do! Feeeeeel like I doooo?"

I do feel that way a lot. I went through a period when I first started playing where all I did was learn songs. Now all I do is make my own stuff.

I've realized that it's important for me to continue learning new stuff because it makes me a better player both creatively and technique wise.
It depends for me. If its a song i really love then its easy, but if its a song i have to learn cos everyone else in my band wants to then i sometimes find it a chore
HADOUKEN!! Click For UG's Street Fighter Group

Quote by synpet713192

I'd never seen you around until very recently, but this and the other pic have caused me to worship you
Well, I do learn songs, and I guess it's fun, but it doesn't feel the same, you know? You're never going to play For The Love Of God with the same awe inspiring passion as Steve Vai, so why even try? If it was something like I Cum Blood, that would be a different story since the same feeling is not present.
Try to learn stuff by ear! its almost the best of both ways(unless its a really hard song, lol)
But, if you can hear a chord progression/solo by ear, it feels different than looking at the tab/notes.
Listens to Jazz

Quote by Local666Union
each time I piss in the dark I'm afraid that some wierd plant is going to eat my dick

Quote by Joey-Tribiani
Try to learn stuff by ear! its almost the best of both ways(unless its a really hard song, lol)
But, if you can hear a chord progression/solo by ear, it feels different than looking at the tab/notes.

Yeah, I agree. I learn most songs by ear.
sup?
The one song I've really been itching to play lately (Rusty Cooley's War Of The Angels) would be extremely hard to learn by ear... so I guess I'm just going to have to wait until a tab pops up for it.
i dont really see it as a job. its fun until i get to the solo and the douche who tabbed it just completely shat the thing out and its 97% wrong.
im playing it right now with my ears...(geddit) sigh*

yeh i feel the same most of the time but i dont ussually like entire songs so i just nab the bits i like
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.