So my friend just got this beastly eclipse, which requires premium unleaded gas. But he cant afford it, so he keeps putting regular in it. What effects will this have on the car, if any?
ESP M-201
Crate CR-280
Line 6 Uber Metal Distortion Pedal
If the car booklet say it requires premium than he can be harming the engine. I own an Audi A4 1.8t (turbo) and I HAVE to put premium in it.
Statistics can be used to prove anything.

14% of people know that.
it won't run at top performance but slightley below, he probably won't even notice.
Unless it's a high compression engine. If he can't afford premium, why did he buy a beastly car? I can't afford premium, guess what i drive, a cavalier. Common sense people.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by r311dude
If the car booklet say it requires premium than he can be harming the engine. I own an Audi A4 1.8t (turbo) and I HAVE to put premium in it.

an engine won't be destroyed by 'low grade' petrol, but the performance will most likely be much less than it would be

the best is putting high octane fuel in small cars, my uncle used to steal airplane fuel and it is obviously much more explosive and makes the pistons bang alot

EDIT:
hmm it will burn more fuel and there for cost more in the long run

the process of finer fue and internal combustion engines is slightly lost on you isn't it?
Quote by Martindecorum
and destroy the pistons and compression and gasket and engine block and crank shaft and carb in the process

nah it were a solid engine, but obviously the use of plane fuel shortened it's life significantly

in the end i think it was the carberreta (however you spell that crazy word) went in the end so the fuel must have done that bad

and it was free
Quote by imthehitcher
an engine won't be destroyed by 'low grade' petrol, but the performance will most likely be much less than it would be

the best is putting high octane fuel in small cars, my uncle used to steal airplane fuel and it is obviously much more explosive and makes the pistons bang alot

EDIT:

the process of finer fue and internal combustion engines is slightly lost on you isn't it?

You can cause your car to "ping" or "knock" when you put lower grade fuel into it. Mostly turbo and supercharged engines, since they use high compression, they require that you use premium. And yes this can cause long term damage to the engine, I'm sure if you use regular for a short time though that you'll be just fine.

Also putting premium into cars that use regular is just a waste of money, you won't get any extra performance out of your low compression designed engine....as for airplane fuel, I'm not so sure about that hah
Statistics can be used to prove anything.

14% of people know that.